Need some quick advice re: pants for semi-formal work setting

This is a discussion on Need some quick advice re: pants for semi-formal work setting within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I start a new job next Monday and am going to have to start wearing khakis and polo shirts (instead of wranglers and button down ...

Thread: Need some quick advice re: pants for semi-formal work setting

Need some quick advice re: pants for semi-formal work setting

I start a new job next Monday and am going to have to start wearing khakis and polo shirts (instead of wranglers and button down western shirts). I need a discreet method of carry, and since I have to buy some khakis anyway, thought I would try to buy ones friendly to carry. I'll probably want to carry my j frame in a pocket or smartcarry, though ankle carry isn't out of the question either. If I find that the environment is better than I think it will be (and I can afford to possibly be made) I may go IWB with my supertuck and 1911.

First I thought of 5.11 pants, and I still may go that route. Unfortunately it seems they've discontinued the "covert khaki" line, and everything else they have just is a little commando-ish.

Woolrich pants, unless I just can't find them they don't have much that doesn't have external cargo pockets.

Any advice? I need to buy something in the next day or two, so they'll be here in time. I can wear the khakis I already have for the first few days.

2. Remove Ads

G T Distributors Product Detail This just happens to be my go-to store, but you can still find them. Heck, but em on eBay. They're all over eBay Good luck with your new job!

I was skeptical at first, but not now. The Kangaroo Carry is an option you should try out. I wear mine over a full undershirt or tank undershirt depending on what shirt I am wearing.

Almost any holster has drawbacks in one form or another. Here are some pics I took of how I wore my gun to the office the other day. It works well with polo type shirts also.

My Kangaroo Carry is the Sky Marshall model and I am using a Glock 26 with a G19 mag and a spacer in the pictures.

I have found that a dress shirt with at least a little bit if pattern on it will really help with concealment. Having a little bit of starch in the shirt helps also imo.

In this picture I am really pushing out my chest, but also drawing back my shoulders in an exaggerated fashion to show where the butt of the gun is for the picture. I almost think that someone with less than perfect posture is able to carry this holster better than someone with good posture. If you shoulders tend to hunch forward a little, it helps to conceal the butt of the gun because it is right next to the muscle of the chest.

Draw with a buttoned shirt. If wearing a tie, you could leave a button or two un-buttoned to help with access to the holster. I have also heard of guys having magnetic buttons installed on some buttons.

With a sport coat on. There is absolutely no way someone will be able to tell you are carrying with a suit jacket/ sport coat on. They would have to pat you down to tell.

GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Nice write-up! I've been wondering about those holsters. Not ideal, but perfect for your situation. How do you think it would do on a jog (between a form fitting under armour shirt and maybe a regular t-shirt over it)

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    Nice write-up! I've been wondering about those holsters. Not ideal, but perfect for your situation. How do you think it would do on a jog (between a form fitting under armour shirt and maybe a regular t-shirt over it)
    It would not be ideal for jogging primarily because the holster is made of cotton. Easy to hand wash, but it would really get soaked with sweat and get all over your gun in the process. I am sure it would work, because I did test it while running up and down my street, but not ideal. For working out and running/biking I use the Pistol Wear PT-One holster. It is made of neoprene and designed to keep the gun dry and snug to the body for no bounce.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

I just checked the PT out. Looks great. I'm going to order one. Thanks for the link!

Tmorre912 thanks for the pictures. Others, thanks for the suggestions. I'm leaning heavily toward the smart carry at this point, though if it doesn't work kangaroo might be next. I just feel that it offers a more discreet method. If anyone wants to ask "hey, whats that bulge" under my shirt I kind of have to explain. I doubt they will be asking about my crotch. Its just that I have a feeling that if I am made, though it might not be company policy yet, it will become company policy. So I'd prefer to keep it to myself and no one will ever be the wiser.

I ordered some polos, and made sure to order the tall ones. I'm fairly tall already, but if these ever need to cover something IWB or OWB, they should be long enough.

Wollrich Elite Discreet pants is exactly what you need.

Woolrich Elite Series Tactical
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

For summertime I use a SmartCarry, the other day I went to a nice steakhouse so the jeans got swapped out for real pants, I was impressed. They almost seemed to hide the SC better than jeans which I didn't expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ford View Post
    Tmorre912 thanks for the pictures. Others, thanks for the suggestions. I'm leaning heavily toward the smart carry at this point, though if it doesn't work kangaroo might be next. I just feel that it offers a more discreet method. If anyone wants to ask "hey, whats that bulge" under my shirt I kind of have to explain. I doubt they will be asking about my crotch. Its just that I have a feeling that if I am made, though it might not be company policy yet, it will become company policy. So I'd prefer to keep it to myself and no one will ever be the wiser.

I ordered some polos, and made sure to order the tall ones. I'm fairly tall already, but if these ever need to cover something IWB or OWB, they should be long enough.
    Good luck with the new job. I just wanted you to know about it if you had never seen one before. Good thing is, is that Smart Carry and Kangaroo Carry are both relatively inexpensive so your not out much if they don't work for you. I might even try the Smart Carry just to make sure I'm not missing anything.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

Links