In general: importance of canted/non-canted and molded/non-molded IWB holsters?

This is a discussion on In general: importance of canted/non-canted and molded/non-molded IWB holsters? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello. I just received my new CZ 2075 RAMI BD (decocker); SWEET gun, need to shoot it when I can find some time. Anyhow, being ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In general: importance of canted/non-canted and molded/non-molded IWB holsters?

In general: importance of canted/non-canted and molded/non-molded IWB holsters?

Hello. I just received my new CZ 2075 RAMI BD (decocker); SWEET gun, need to shoot it when I can find some time.

Anyhow, being new to CC, and looking into the amazingly diverse set of options for carrying concealed, I'm definitely going to go IWB and probably a locking clip. Given that, and per the subject line, just how important is a canted holster vs. vertical in general (I know individual tastes/needs vary). Also, in general, how important is it really to have a molded holster vs. a (quality) non-molded?

I'm looking at High Noon holsters (and others) and was thinking I could try the non-molded bare asset or tuckable IWB split decision (both are stocked). My thought is that for ~$45 I could try them out and if I *had* to get a molded/canted holster, I could upgrade and keep using the non-molded while I wait. OR I could go with the molded public secret without waiting a month or two as it is a stocking item, but is NOT canted.

THANKS!

2. Remove Ads

For a large gun carried on the hip (3 or 9 o'clock) a forward cant will reduce the amount of arm lift necessary to draw the weapon, but will increase the muzzle rotation necessary to bring the weapon on line.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Exactly what Guantes stated. And in addition, it aids in getting a shooting grip for the draw. This is important, as you don't want to be wasting alot of time trying to aquire a good grip after you clear leather. The slant or straight will vary according to body style.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

For a gun like your's, I would select a holster with two belt attachment points. That would help distribte the weight better. You can also select a holster that permits you to adjust the cant so you you can experiment to find the angle that's best for you. Below is a picture of Comp-Tacs CTAC holster. I can adjust the cant depending on where I want to carry the gun. In the pictures, it is adjusted to carry the Kahr K9 in the appendix position. I have since adjusted it to carry at the 4 o'clock position.

I think I prefer molded holsters because mine are molded to the pistol. I don't skimp when purchasing a holster. The holster is part of a system I depend on to save my butt. Like so many things in life, a system is only as good as its weakest link. Here's the pic:

VIP Member
    You're getting some good advice from the pros up above.

I'll add that depending on where you plan in IWB'ing it, will affect whether you want a cant. For appendix carry, you'll likely want vertical. Alternatively, a generous cant goes a long way to concealing the butt when carried strong side.

Thanks for the input so far!

Also, adjustable holsters with 2 clip points like the one that Willie showed can help you find that *perfect* comfort level. You can change the ride height, cant (both ways), and of course, the weight dispersion.

VIP Member
    For my method of carry (strong side at 3:30-4:00), a forward cant is more concealable, but a vertical cant is faster and "smoother" during the draw. Depends on your personal set of priorities. I also tend to bring the gun closer to the 3:00 position with a vertical holster, at it puts the butt of the pistol in roughly the same place as a 3:30-4:00 with a forward cant.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I carry my Rami in a Highnoon Split Decision at about 3:30. It has a slight cant and the metal belt clip holds the holster very securely. It does not have a reinforced mouth which makes one-handed reholstering a non-starter if that is important to you. Enjoy your Rami!

If you go with an adjustable cant I would put a little blue locktite on the screws once I got it set where I liked it.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I'd look at a Crossbreed Supertuck style holster, if I were you. I made one for my Sigma yesterday, and it is the most comfortable holster I've tried yet. A very slight forward cant and carried at the 4:00 position. Concealed great with a T-shirt and I carried it around for about 6 hours today with no problem.

VIP Member
    Batty67 - it seems that you are new to CC and do not have the experience yet of knowing where on your belt will be most comfortable. I would go with a highly adjustable, inexpensive holster to try a bunch of different positions, ride heights and cants to see what is really comfortable for you. I suggest starting with a Kholster as it is inexpensive, highly adjustable and very comfortable.

After you gain some experience and know what works for you, if you want to upgrade, you will know what you need. OMO
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

You definitely want a canted holster...the reduced arm lift heavily outweighs the needed muzzle lift needed (as Guantes points out). Canted holsters just carry more comfortably, IMHO.
    I would never use a holster IWB or OWB that didn't have SOME cant to it. I'm just sayin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks, I am new to CC. So I do want to start with an inexpensive option or two, see what I like best long-term, and then quite possibly upgrade to a higher quality version holster. Thanks again for the informed input and opinions...

My first holster was a Blackhawk SERPA. Hard to conceal, but highly adjustable and only about $29. You can adjust height, cant, and whether to use a belt through slots or a paddle. So you can try various carry positions, etc. I only use it at the range, occasionally, now. I bought a leather Galco Avenger OWB straight draw holster which I use most of the time in winter with heavier clothes. It is the fastest to draw from. I use a Galco Summer Special IWB with a cant in warmer weather with lighter concealment garments. Draw isn't as fast, but it conceals much better with light unbuttoned shirts or a T-shirt. Just my .02. BTW, I'm retired, so I no longer have to wear suits. I generally wear Levis and occasionally 5.11 cargo type pants. On the rare occasions I have had to dress up a bit more, the IWB holster works well with slacks and sport coat.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links