Help Me Find a Holster AKA How Do Avoid Buying & Trying a Bunch of Holsters?

This is a discussion on Help Me Find a Holster AKA How Do Avoid Buying & Trying a Bunch of Holsters? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Forgive me if this has been discussed a million ways on these boards but I did a search and could not find a good thread ...

Thread: Help Me Find a Holster AKA How Do Avoid Buying & Trying a Bunch of Holsters?

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

Help Me Find a Holster AKA How Do Avoid Buying & Trying a Bunch of Holsters?

Forgive me if this has been discussed a million ways on these boards but I did a search and could not find a good thread that answered my question.

I have crossed that hump that a lot of newbies get hung up on and have totally accepted the idea that carrying concealed means owning multiple guns and carrying them as the situation permits. So now I have more than a few guns, some of which I carry more often than others. I am realizing that to do this right, I need about 3-5 good holsters more than I currently own.

I am overwhelmed at the number of high-quality holster makers out there! There are a lot of great ones. I know I prefer OWB or pocket carry. I'm not a big fan of IWB, just for comfort's sake. I have smaller/lighter handguns so that they can be carried OWB without pulling away from my gun belt. I have tried leather holsters but found that they are hit or miss; some are too tight, others fit just right... but it seems almost random as to which one works best! I have one holster that I spent nearly $200 on that I really don't care for that much and I have another holster that was given to me for free on a trade that I wear probably 150+ days a year.

Anyway, I am looking for a good rig for OWB carry: solid gun belt, OWB holster, maybe an extra mag holder/pouch or two. I'd LOVE to have one that is both brown and black. I know there are a number of great holster makers that make that setup; I just am wondering what the best way is to avoid buying 3-4 holsters, selling them and finally settling on the best one.

Thanks in advance for your input.

2. Remove Ads

My suggestion is to click on the Pure Kustom link at the top of this page and check out the Black Ops Pro holster. Depending on the guns you own, you might look at the other models. Rocky is real good to work with, if you call him tell him that Hiram25 sent you.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

buy and try is half the fun!!!! LOL, read post by others and you'll get a general feel of what good and what works, but unfortunately we are all built different and what works for one may not work for the other.
    CC:
    Glock 19 Gen 3 in a Brommeland Max Con V
    Glock 26 Gen 4 in a Brommeland Max Con V
    Karh PM9 in a Isotope 7 (made by Gary Brommeland)
    Home Protection:
    Mossberg 500 and Kimber Custom II 1911.

Work with High Noon, who is a website sponsor, and has great CS, with a generous return policy. I had a thread on here trying to decide between two of their holsters, and they recommended I get both, run them both through the ringer, and then keep the one I liked, and return the other one for a full refund. IF you aren't happy with something you buy from them, they will make it right.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    That is a pretty good return policy from High Noon! Thanks!

JD
    Administrator
    Well if you're not fond of leather, that means Kydex or polymer.

I have a rig on order with Cane and Derby for a brown OWB, this is a different color brown than what's shown here:

Will post pics when it comes in today, my holster is in Coyote Brown,

Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    That is a pretty good return policy from High Noon! Thanks!
    You can call them too, and they will talk to you and work with you to figure out which of their models best fits your needs. The really have some of the best customer service I have ever dealt with, in any type of business.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I have had really great service and quality products from Nate at UBG Holsters (UBG Holsters) I have IWB and OWB holsters from him, plus I just ordered an OWB/Belt rig from Nate for my Dad for his birthday.

I cannot stress the need for having a quality belt if you're going to carry.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    I have tried several brands. I agree with Hiram - get a Black Ops Pro from Pure Kustom. I have 3 and they conceal everything from a J frame to a 5" 1911 with ease.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I have a few holsters from Hays Holsters and completely recommend them. Fast turn time and great price. Check him out and he is a sponsor as well I believe.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I have holsters from all the top makers, Sparks, Del Fatti, HBE, UBG, etc... All are for different guns and all function great for IWB. For OWB I've found that Galco makes some excellent ones. They can even provide a matching ammo carrier and belt. I have several Galcos and all pull themselves in tight against the wearer. I know you prefer other than leather due to it's snugness, however leather is snug until broken in and then it's very easy to draw quickly. I have about 40 holsters and all are leather. I wouldn't have anything else.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Links