Thoroughly lost

This is a discussion on Thoroughly lost within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I'm getting a small 1911(haven't decided which one yet) and am looking at my carry options. I wear more tight fitting clothes than most ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoroughly lost

Thoroughly lost

So I'm getting a small 1911(haven't decided which one yet) and am looking at my carry options. I wear more tight fitting clothes than most of you probably so I'm looking for something IWB but really thats about all I know. Can anyone give suggestions on where to start looking for a easily concealable holster? Thanks guys.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Best bet may be to look through the Holster Links on the bars above.

Welcome from Middle Tennessee!

The problem is I don't know a pinto from a Rolls Royce as far as holsters are concerened so I don't really know where to start. I've been around guns since I was born, my dad was a cop, I was a boy scout and I'm now in the Coast Guard. I will turn 21 in a month and as a birthday present for myself (with well earned bonus money from the guard) I'm buying a handgun. I've just never had any expieriance carrying it concealed.

Re:

I haven't had much luck with IWB. I wear slacks and button up or polo shirts, and the IWB just sticks out on my belt line with the shirts tucked in.

I have even tried to carry the Kel-Tec IWB, but it just really stands out on the belt line on me. It looks like I have an unnatural growth, and not in a good way.

For me, the easiest concealment method while wearing slacks and tucked in shirt has been the Smartcarry. When it is a little cooler out, I can wear an OWB stong side under an untucked shirt.

Other than that I like to carry my Kel-Tec in a pocket holster, there are many to choose from but I personally like leather or perhaps a Desantis Nemesis.

My main way to carry is in the SmartCarry.

Check out Smartcarry.com

The fastest draw will probably be strong side OWB under an untucked shirt, it is for me anyway.

VIP Member
    I have a bunch of IWB holsters... after wasting a lot of money I finally picked up a Milt Sparks VersaMax II holster. For me, it is the most effective, comfortable and concealing holster I have ever used.

I don't think you would regret owning one!

http://www.miltsparks.com/
    http://www.topgunsupply.com/
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

My best holster advice is you absolutely get what you pay for. Holsters from Gary Brommeland, Milt Sparks, and I know I'm leaving out at least one other great holster maker who posts here (sorry) are expensive when compared with off-the-rack factory stuff.
    That's because great holsters are made by experts, by hand.
    They're not expensive at all once you get one because they work correctly.
    A small 1911? Gary has an IWB that's specially designed for that. You might want to give him a shout. I use a VMII and an EC from Milt Sparks. I'll get one from Gary next just because I like holsters, not because there's anything wrong with the others. All of these are great.
    I have a box of cheap holsters. They're at home collecting dust.

The awful truth is if you want to carry a good defense gun you may have to make some changes in your wardrobe. Also as stated above spend the money on a good holster and you'll be much happier. I favor Andrews Leather myself but there are several really good custom makers around and they all make first class products. Differences often come down to personal taste.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

VIP Member
    My suggestion would be to call some of our holster makers and ask for advice. They can help you to decide what is likely to work for you. These guys have years of experience and are artists in leather.

Gary Brommeland http://www.brommelandgunleather.com/

Matt Del Fatti http://www.delfatti.com/

Mark Garrity http://www.garritysgunleather.com/

Eric Larsen http://www.hbeleatherworks.com/

Rob Longenecker http://www.tuckergunleather.com

Kevin Manley http://www.kdholsters.com/
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Dress around the gun

Life is full of compromises. This ain't no different.

My wife prefers that I wear slacks that fit a bit closer than Dockers. I wear Savane Microfiber trousers in black from Sam's Club. They drape nicely and have an expandable waist. I buy them in a size that fits with my IWB holster, spare magazine, etc in place. The dark color helps hide the pistol.

I no longer wear polo shirts tucked in, unless I'm going to wear a sportcoat or other cover garment.

My daily carry gun is a Kimber Ultra Carry 3" 1911 in a Tucker Gunleather "The Answer" holster.

I have a SmartCarry, which I use only when I can't use the Kimber/Answer combination. It carries a Colt Mustang Pocketlite. Speed of draw is slow. The fact that I have some middle-age spread doesn't help. The guys I know who seem happiest with the SmartCarry all have flat bellies and Pepsi Generation waistlines.

YMMV one hell of a lot.

Bill

VIP Member
    I've always had good luck with Bianchi holsters. The others mentioned above will also fill the bill very well. At one time, I used thumb-snap versions of IWB holsters, but I have moved away from them now.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I personally prefer the Sparks ExC. The extra leather skirt conforms to the body in time, and prevents the muzzle end from digging into your flesh.
    Several makers have similar designs, and Gary Brommeland's Max Con III and V should be about the same. Get one from one of the best makers, and don't skimp. It will save you money in the long run, and do not forget to get a good gun belt.

Maybe the best buy for a good gun belt is RafterS.

Best,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by rvacoastie
    The problem is I don't know a pinto from a Rolls Royce as far as holsters are concerened so I don't really know where to start. I've been around guns since I was born, my dad was a cop, I was a boy scout and I'm now in the Coast Guard. I will turn 21 in a month and as a birthday present for myself (with well earned bonus money from the guard) I'm buying a handgun. I've just never had any expieriance carrying it concealed.

Welcome aboard!!!

Helping newbies get started is part of what we do, so please give us a call at your convenience. We can go over the specifics of your particular situation and try to get you going in the right direction. (And I won't twist your arm to buy a holster, either )

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Ditto what Gary stated! We are here for you and welcome!!!!!!!

Ill tell you right off of the bat that "tighter than most of you wear - pants" arent gonna be that IWB friendly. Most get 1-2" bigger in the waist size and belt to start with for IWB carry...

The blind truth is carrying a gun will alter your entire life eventually...in EVERY way. At first it may be what you wear and where you go....but it will sneak up on you. Its funny...most people say a "CCW" or the gun itself, is about compromise...capacity, size, concealibility, shootability etc...But Ive found that carrying a gun and what it does to you is nothing but compromise....in a good way.

Call us/email us and we can help..................Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Most of my CCW is IWB,
    but here lately I'm seriously converting to OWB.
    No particular reason except maybe comfort.
    I can't see where IWB carry would be alot better than
    an OWB snug, flat profiled holster. I'm fairly short and stocky
    so an oversized shirt is all i use anyway.

Worth a try anyway.

Assistant Administrator
    I happen to dislike IWB - for me a major comfort issue - plus I can OWB with ease due to cover and situational options.

I will say this tho - IMO and with my K&D Eagle Defender - the gun is every bit as snug and tight to body as I'd expect (or want) from an IWB. (Pics available to prove that - which several folks will have seen).

The only downside I can imagine is that the rig lower portion shows outside my pants instead of being inside - and so cover gear is all that is needed to achieve good concealment and - big bonus - comfortable too even with a heavy 226 ST
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links