The High Noon Slide Guard & Rock Steady belt - very nice rig! pic intense!

This is a discussion on The High Noon Slide Guard & Rock Steady belt - very nice rig! pic intense! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am woefully behind posting this as I've had this rig for some time. Part of the delay was giving the holster and belt time ...

Thread: The High Noon Slide Guard & Rock Steady belt - very nice rig! pic intense!

The High Noon Slide Guard & Rock Steady belt - very nice rig! pic intense!

I am woefully behind posting this as I've had this rig for some time. Part of the delay was giving the holster and belt time to break in. After about a month, I couldn't figure out why I still couldn't holster the gun with one hand. I finally realized it was fully due to the tension screw. Well not the screw per se, but there's a rubber grommet that actually contacts the trigger guard and puts a LOT of force against it which creates the holstering problem.

So, I removed the tension screw altogether and now it works great! One hand holstering and all. I found the holster to be so form fitted, the gun is held securely in place without the tension screw.

And, before you ask, I paid full price for both the holster and belt and I don't own stock or an interest in High Noon. I do like their products, and this was a perfect opportunity to play with my new Canon ELPH300HS camera. All pics and the video were done with it. Well there's a lot of editing behind them too.

Here's the website pic of the Slide Guard.

Slide Guard

Go to High Noon's FAQs (actually listed as "Questions") - there's a wealth of information there about holsters - read it all - it's worth every minute.

Questions

Let's start with the belt. I doubt you've ever seen anything like it - I know I hadn't.

Here's the website for the Rock Steady belt:

Rock Steady Belts

Again, there's a lot of info to read at that sight. Here's my belt; looks pretty normal doesn't it? Well, except for the very nice heavy-duty brass buckle and keeper.

[/url]
    Belt & holster - front view by ron.0000, on Flickr

Actually, there's a lot more to this belt than meets the eye. Here's a pic showing the thickness - this is not your typical gun belt!

Belt and holster - belt thickness by ron.0000, on Flickr

If you followed the link you already know why this belt is thick; if you didn't go to the link - tsk, tsk, tsk, the belt is made of three parts: a special stiffener sandwiched between the outside and inside leather parts of the belt. The stiffener stops near the start of the belt holes to provide more flex for buckling etc. Does it work? You better believe it. I have four, name brand, real gun belts besides this one. If I have a choice, i.e. 1-1/2" belt loops, I wear the Rock Steady.

I find the Rock Steady significantly reduces that in/out 'rock' that can happen with less robust belts. Because of the thickness, mine measures 0.27", and the stiffener, it also keeps the holster/gun from moving on the belt.

The buckle is basically rectangular in shape, but has well rounded corners. The reason I mention that is I've had some rectangular shaped buckles of similar shape and size and when I lean or bend forward, I feel the corners 'dig in'. The Rock Steady does not do that at all. On to the holster.

Again remember I've removed the tension screw, so you'll see the hole where it was. I may reinstall the tension screw with a much smaller piece of soft rubber tubing just to fill the hole in the holster. Although it really isn't necessary to retain the gun securely.

holster - guard shield by ron.0000, on Flickr

gun & holster separate by ron.0000, on Flickr

Gun in holster - outside view by ron.0000, on Flickr

One of the things I like about this holster, and many brands have this but not to this degree, is the sweat guard. This keeps the slide from coming in contact your sweaty body or rubbing or irriating your side. This particular sweat guard extends up and over the rear of the slide and provides a softer contact.

This is a pancake style holster and hence is molded to the gun on both sides of the holster and also notice in this pic the generous sweat guard and how it rolls over the rear of the slide:

IMG_0036 by ron.0000, on Flickr

This is a high quality, well made holster tightly molded to a specific gun.

So how does it wear? Well, I only know how it wears with the Rock Steady belt and that is it is as comfortable as any holster I've worn, and that's a lot, and this is a BIG gun, not heavy, but big. I notice between the FBI cant and the location of the holster slots, the holster carries a bit higher than what I'm used to and that turned out to be good because it's easier to conceal under a garment - the muzzle doesn't peek out as easily.

Side view - hand at side by ron.0000, on Flickr

And as can be seen here, it really hugs in tight.

Front view - arms at side by ron.0000, on Flickr

One might think that the slightly higher carry would influence the draw stroke etc. but it doesn't:

Side view - position 1 by ron.0000, on Flickr

front view - position 1 by ron.0000, on Flickr

And a finally a video that I made to try out the slow motion feature of my new Canon. This camera takes video at 120 frames per second so when it plays back at the normal 30 frames per second the motion is 1/4 speed. Another way to say it is that you get 4 times the frames in the same time you'd get one frame in other cameras. The only drawback is, in the 120 frame per second mode, you only get 640x480 definition which isn't too bad, it's just not high def.

In the following video, as I took it, I was moving at normal speed; it just plays back in slow motion. There's a short clip of the very same clips running at full speed for comparison, and I phased the images differently for a different effect.

I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Glad you like our gear!!!! That tension screw will move over with time and you will get then same feel on the draw as you have now.

More info on the tension here Questions

If you do not want to wait for the break in you could cut the round rubber with a sissor. Take off about 1/8 but do not cut the hole. Then replace it and put the straight cut side facing the trigger guard. See if that works better for you.

By the way GREAT Video!!!

Alex

Administrator
    I have the same set up, and its great. I have not been able to wear it as much as I'd like... up until now. Some things shifted around at work, so I'll be wearing the rig daily now.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    Cool beans VID Tangle & "Congrats!" on the nifty new camera. They are so amazing these days.
    Nice draw & presentation.
    Your High Noon rig is (of course) carrying the firearm in perfectly close to the body.
    Especially for OWB carry an ultra-high quality holster is an absolute necessity.
    Proof positive that you just cannot "cheap out" on a holster for OWB carry.
    You could easily conceal under just an oversize untucked T-Shirt with that holster.
    Without a doubt....the most comfortable way to carry during those HOT summer months.

Great Post! I have Slide Guards for every pistol I carry. I already have one for the Sig p239 that I have on order.......I'll always have SG for anything I'm going to carry.....not not only are High Noon products extremely well made and comfortable, but they are great people to deal with! I've called them on quite a few occasions with questions and they've always been very accommodating and didn't try to rush thru the call.....they gave me the time I needed to get my questions answered. I pay the rush fee and always receive them within a week to 10 days.....I have several of their Public Secrets for Appendix carry, as well, and of course, the Rock Steady Belt.....keep up the good work High Noon! Great Product & Great Service! Once again, Great Post, Tangle!!
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

Administrator
    I just watched that video Tangle. That was pretty fancy.
    "Just blame Sixto"

PS: Tangle, for what it's worth. When I receive a new Slide Guard, I tighten the tension screw down all the way with my pistol in the holster and then leave it overnight to stretch.....with the exception of one time, the next day I could simply loosen the screw to what ever tension I wanted and the holster was perfect. The one time this didn't work, I put my pistol in a zip lock bag, then stuck it in the holster overnight with tension screw tightened all the way down.....next day, perfect like my others. This tension system is a really good one!
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Yes, the baggie trick works most of the time.

You did a great review there.

The only interest I have in High Noon, is that I love their superb workmanship and excellent customer service.

I don't have any problems in telling people who are looking for quality gear- to go to HN.

Custom holsters without the custom wait!

Administrator
    I have a shoulder rig with an identical tension adjustment that occasionally went wacky on me.
    (Not a High Noon Holster FYI)

I removed the rubber dilly and just started stacking up these small, thin, brass washers on the screw until I got the tension exactly where I wanted it.

So far I've not had to fiddle with it but, I figure if the leather eventually stretches enough...I'll just remove a few of those washers and snug it back up.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links