Sources and tools for making my own holster - Page 2

Sources and tools for making my own holster

This is a discussion on Sources and tools for making my own holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Holster making can indeed be addictive. I made my own holster for field carry after the gun fell out of a cheap Uncle Mikes softie ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sources and tools for making my own holster

Holster making can indeed be addictive. I made my own holster for field carry after the gun fell out of a cheap Uncle Mikes softie I bought. I don't show anyone that one anymore, but was proud of it at the time.

Then I got a concealed carry permit and wanted one for concealment. I still couldn't find a commercially made one (A Browning BDM), so I again decided to make one.

I didn't know about all the custom holster makers out there. Someone on the Utah Concealed Carry website gave me the Shane Whitlock link. I viewed that many times, then went to Tandy Leather and made my first one. After that, I decided to make more. Now I am in the part-time holster business.

Wanting to improve, I found Leatherworker.net. Lots of good stuff there.

Here is a picture of my first one from two years ago, and one of my latest ones from last week.

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mauser1959 View Post
    Thank you QKShooter, that is exactly what I have been looking for . Of course the DVD is sold out , just my luck... I will keep checking back.
    Sorry about that! Call my friend Dusty and order one, or you can order directly from his website at Pleasant Valley Saddle Shop. Heck of a nice guy, and he's also the author, creator and "star" of the DVD that QKShooter referred to. It's a real good starter DVD. Someone else mentioned Leatherworker.net: Stand by.... Terrific forum covering just about anything you might want to do with leather--including holsters.

dukalmighty,

Go find you a 1 1/2" punch for those belt slots.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    The hardest part of making a holster for me is the belt slots,trying to get them perfect is a pain and they usually come out ok,but not as good as I would like.I
    just made this one after the wind was causing my shirt to rub holes in it on the thumb safety when riding my motorcycle,I'm a lefty and I just cut the leather to caver the thumb safety when holstered,no more holes in my shirts.LH Combat Commander 20 degree cant
    Best to buy a punch or have one custom made to your specs. However if you choose to old school it, (hole punch and Chisel) use your dremel to smooth out the inside edges!

thanks BruceGibson.
    A hand gun is like a fire extinguisher , I wish to use neither, but have both on hand in case of need ; both are personal protection devices that serve the same purpose . ie safety of you and your family.

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mauser1959 View Post
    thanks BruceGibson.
    Anytime! Best of luck with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links