Sources and tools for making my own holster

This is a discussion on Sources and tools for making my own holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have sources for leather, thread, tooling for making your own holsters?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sources and tools for making my own holster

Sources and tools for making my own holster

Does anyone have sources for leather, thread, tooling for making your own holsters?
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

2. Remove Ads

If you have an idea of what you need, you can probably get most of it from tandy leather. This is a pretty good tut on making a leather holster:
    Holster Making Tutorial

Surf around on Leatherworker.net. Careful.. It's addictive!

Thanks. I'll check them out. I want an Aker Flatsider holster for my H&K P7-PSP but no one makes one similar for it, so I have to do it myself.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Check Ebay, the good antique tools are in abundance there and far outshine anything new from Tandy.

tubby45;

There are several places to buy the tools, leather, dye, ect. Zack White, Springfield, Weavers. Google and you will find a ton.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

Does anyone know of any good books for holster making : I am getting ready to inherit a good leather sewing machine.
    A hand gun is like a fire extinguisher , I wish to use neither, but have both on hand in case of need ; both are personal protection devices that serve the same purpose . ie safety of you and your family.

Google is loaded with holster making info. YouTube does, too.

You may also consider contacting one of the many fine holster makers here on DC.

Sent from my phone
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Administrator
    Type "How To Make Holsters" into the Ebay search block. Buy that one & this DVD from forum member Bruce Gibson:

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redbeardsong View Post
    Surf around on Leatherworker.net. Careful.. It's addictive!
    Is it hard to make a holster?

Thank you QKShooter, that is exactly what I have been looking for . Of course the DVD is sold out , just my luck... I will keep checking back.
    A hand gun is like a fire extinguisher , I wish to use neither, but have both on hand in case of need ; both are personal protection devices that serve the same purpose . ie safety of you and your family.

Holster making is great fun and an awesome hobby! It is addictive! Depending on how much you get into it, it can get expensive. For example a good sewing machine can run $800- $4000+. Like anything else, machines save time and create a professional look. Hand stitching is always available but gets old quick if you are making more than a few. It takes practice. Ditto on the Leatherworker.net web site. Loads of experience there and great folks willing to share their expertise. The rest is trial and error. C'mon in, waters warm!

Rob

Administrator
    Ahhh...yes, but you can learn how to hand saddle stitch and buy everything you need to do that for a few bucks. Al Stohlman hand stitched every stitch on every saddle that he built and every leather item that he ever made and he was a MASTER leathercrafter.

The hardest part of making a holster for me is the belt slots,trying to get them perfect is a pain and they usually come out ok,but not as good as I would like.I
    just made this one after the wind was causing my shirt to rub holes in it on the thumb safety when riding my motorcycle,I'm a lefty and I just cut the leather to caver the thumb safety when holstered,no more holes in my shirts.LH Combat Commander 20 degree cant
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Holster making is very addictive. I started to make holsters to find out the best way to carry for my own preferences. I will warn, however, that what seems like an innocent project can snowball into a $$$$$ eater. As I learned a little more, I wanted more. Now my wife and I both make holsters and belts. Leatherworker forum is a wealth of knowledge from the best people ever. Good luck if you decide to take this journey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links