Any other women out there using a Ladies Protection purse?

This is a discussion on Any other women out there using a Ladies Protection purse? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, everyone! I've been lurking for a long time but haven't posted much. I'm a rather ... curvy ... woman with wide, pronounced hips that ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Buran
  • 1 Post By JAT40

Thread: Any other women out there using a Ladies Protection purse?

Hello, everyone! I've been lurking for a long time but haven't posted much.

I'm a rather ... curvy ... woman with wide, pronounced hips that make a belt holster a difficult proposition. This is the case with many women in general, but I think I'm curvier than most, making finding a good holster a challenge.

So, I picked up a cross-body satchel purse from Coronado Gunleather, made to be mirror-image (I'm a leftie). I was happy for the most part with the purse but unhappy with the draw, since the pistol isn't held vertically, and the design of the gun compartment wasn't exactly friendly to drawing easily.

So, I set the purse aside (I still have it, of course) and called Ladies Protection to see if any black Defenders were available in the mirror-image lefty version. There weren't (they do sell them from time to time but didn't have any when I called) but they did have one of their smaller "essentials" purses available in a left-handed version in black. And I inquired whether the purse would be able to hold my Amazon Kindle 3.

"Let me call you back," said the owner, "my husband has one and I'll get it, try it, and let you know." She did -- about twenty minutes later she called to tell me that the Kindle with the Amazon cover just barely fit, and that my coverless Kindle should fit just fine!

So ever since I've been using the cross body mini purse (I've forgotten the name of it) with a Kindle 3 tucked in the back pocket, an iPhone in the front compartment, a wallet and a few other items in the middle compartment, and ... well, foo. One problem.

My Walther PPS didn't fit. Too big. So, I went to the range and tried a Sig P238. Loved it. Tried it in the purse -- it fit! And it fit my tiny hands much better than the PPS did -- and I'm already pretty darned accurate with the PPS. I'm even better with a smaller gun! So I bought one with Nitron finish and night sights.. The draw is so much easier from a vertical holster than it is from a "typical" concealment purse with a horizontal internal holster.

I did switch the holster from the Coronado purse to the LP purse, though -- the supplied one just didn't work at all but the Coronado holster is great. They're both attached by really strong Velcro. The hardest part was prying the velcro apart from the Coronado purse's gun compartment!

So, any other ladies out there using one of these? How do you like yours?

I'll continue to experiment with belt holsters, too, til I find something that works.
    QKShooter likes this.

This youtube site has a lot of reviews on holsters and gear for women... YouTube - faliaphotography's Channel

Cool

My wife has been using the Coronado Leather line of concealment purses to carry her S&W 638 for several years now. She likes their quality and diversity and the horizonal holster. She has three of them in varied styles and colors.

Coronado Leather, makers of handcrafted, concealment leatherwear for law enforcement and those interested in high quality leather jackets, handbags and carrycases for firearm concealment

If you do not already have it pepper spray is a great addittion to your SD items in your purse.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

My wife also has a Coronado concealment purse, she loves it, her model 36 Lady Smith fits well inside. She likes the idea of being able to shoot through the purse without having to draw. I would rather she to carry her M&P9c on the hip but at least she is packing.
    Old School likes this.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

I really like Gun Toten' Mamas

https://www.guntotenmamas.com/

My favorite is the Hobo bag (https://www.guntotenmamas.com/cgi-bi...ion&key=GTM070), but it doesn't hold the firearm vertically. I usually carry my 442 in it, and it has openings on both sides.

Thumbs down Very Poor Quality Coronado Leather Conceal Purses!!! Would not purchase again!!!

Purchased two Coronado Leather purses over the past six months, both with issues. One had rivets break within the first week. The other was just poorly made and looked cheap. Contacted company to resolve issue. Jose said he would talk to the owner, NO RESPONSE!!! I guess they are okay producing poor quality purses now and just don't care about repeat customers. I still love my older purses but will no longer purchase a new one due to the poor quality and poor quality customer service!!!

I do not remember the brand, but the carry purse I had a long time ago had a pocket you could slide your hand into and grip the gun, and fire it from inside the purse. Some purses I have looked at have a top-opening holster area which would be infinitely more awkward. My old one also had velcro instead of a zipper, which is arguably less secure, but much faster to access.

When it got old and beat up looking (wasn't an expensive one), I tossed it and have been waist carrying ever since. I don't like purse carry anymore for a variety of reasons.

I may get a small one again for the rare occasions I dress up and can't on-body carry, however. It just happens so rarely that I haven't bothered.

Links