First impressions; Galco Summer Comfort with a Wilderness Instructor belt, 1911

This is a discussion on First impressions; Galco Summer Comfort with a Wilderness Instructor belt, 1911 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This week, in a fit of impatience while waiting on my Woolfe order (3 weeks feels like a lifetime!), I ordered up a LH black ...

Thread: First impressions; Galco Summer Comfort with a Wilderness Instructor belt, 1911

First impressions; Galco Summer Comfort with a Wilderness Instructor belt, 1911

This week, in a fit of impatience while waiting on my Woolfe order (3 weeks feels like a lifetime!), I ordered up a LH black leather Galco Summer Comfort from Amazon. I'd recently bought a couple belts second hand from a very nice guy here on DC.

It was my first experience carrying the 1911 IWB and trying to conceal it, and man, the gun is just plain heavy. Not tip-me-over heavy obviously, but I was surprised just how tight my belt needed to be in order for the gun to feel secure against my body.

I wore it with jeans and a polo shirt, and I felt self conscious the entire time. I am not sure I like the 8-o'clock position yet, but I'll admit it was fairly comfortable while driving and walking around. I had a rain jacket on most of the time we were out, so I wasn't feeling too exposed, but the red shirt felt like it was a bad idea with such a large gun on.

All in all, that belt is tremendous and the holster seems nice, if a bit tight and stiff to start out. I'll have to work it into shape this weekend.

2. Remove Ads

los
    The [single stack] 1911 is a thin tool and is extremely easy to conceal.

IWB holsters that have belt loops/clips that are located directly on it's main body will not only add additional, unwanted mass and bulging, but will also do very little to distribute handgun weight across the belt line. A good gun belt WILL help aid with weight distribution and maintain the rig close to the body.

Final thoughts: Printing [bulging] can be avoided and completely eliminated with proper attire.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I've been using the Galco Summer Special IWB holster (but RH) for about a year now and find it very comfortable once you get used to it. You do need a good gun belt, though. I wore it last summer back to my HS reunion where I wore black jeans and a pullover short sleeved shirt. As far as I know, nobody "made" me, including 3 retired LEOs. At least no one looked at me funny, and no one said anything. The 1911 is a bit heavy compared to some guns, but it is thin and easy to conceal with the proper holster, belt, and clothing.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I agree with both of you, the 1911 is very nice and slim for this application. I take it you both don't consider the Wilderness belt a legitimate gun belt? It seems stiffer than a Galco leather gun belt I have (need to get it punched for one more size smaller, it was too loose at it's smallest).

Do most guys wind up needing to buy new jeans for IWB holster? I've lost weight, so it fits without any trouble in my current jeans, but they are not baggy by any measure.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by Snider View Post
    ... I take it you both don't consider the Wilderness belt a legitimate gun belt.
    Snider,

I want to be clear. The Wilderness Instructor's Belt is a fantastic gun belt.

My primary gun belt for the last 8 years has been an Instructor's 3 stitch model. It's been used in conjunction with some of the best leather OWB/IWB holsters known to mankind and has helped conceal various handguns throughout it's tenure including a HK USP45c, G30, G26, all 1911 platforms including a Detonics Combat Master. Many more, actually.

My Instructor's Belt has never failed to do it's job.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Quote Originally Posted by Snider View Post
    I take it you both don't consider the Wilderness belt a legitimate gun belt?
    I have a Wilderness Instructor 5 stitich belt that I wear quite frequently. It is a very good gun belt, and I use it primarily with cargo shorts in the summer or 5.11 cargo style pants. I have a Galco leather gun belt that I use primarily with Levis. Since I am retired, those are about the only clothes I now wear. Haven't worn a suit or pair of dress pants in 5 or 6 years. I have a 33" waist, and I can get that size in Levis, but most pants come in 32" or 34". The 32s are too tight, and the 34s are a bit too loose, so if I am wearing the 34" 5.11s, the adjustability of the Wilderness belt is what I need for a comfortable fit.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Good clarification thanks guys.

I wasn't sure by the first two posters quite what they meant by suggesting a good gun belt, when I'd just posted what I was wearing... didn't mean to dig at this belt at all. I like it quite a bit.

I bought a crossbreed belt a few weeks ago....looking forward to when it gets delivered.
    Sig Sauer P250
    Member-GeorgiaCarry.org
    US Navy 84-93

Besides the wilderness belt I also like the Amish belt for use on caring on a daily bases, They are well made & can stand up to all day wear with no problems also.

Links