Holster help...PLEASE

Holster help...PLEASE

This is a discussion on Holster help...PLEASE within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a S&W M&P9c complete with a "Dan Burwell" trigger job and stippling. I love the gun, love shooting it, and actually shoot it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Holster help...PLEASE

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar

Holster help...PLEASE

I have a S&W M&P9c complete with a "Dan Burwell" trigger job and stippling. I love the gun, love shooting it, and actually shoot it very well. Problem is I can't stand to carry it. I've mentioned it here in a couple of posts in the past. It seems like it's too heavy, always pulling my pants down. I have only carried it IWB. I have a "Remora" for it ( which is what I use for the bodyguard also and love it) and also bought a Galco IWB from Smith & Wesson. The Galco actually seems to be worse for pulling down my pants. Would switching to an OWB solve this? I feel like when I carry it I spend my entire day tugging at my pants. Because of this I just don't carry it at all. I carry my S&W Bodyguard revolver, which is super light and comfortable. Is the weight just something I need to "get used to" or is there a cure?
    Any advise would be appreciated.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

JD
    Administrator
    You need a good belt and a holster (IWB or OWB) with the mounting points further away from the body of the holster. Only reason I mention the belt as you mention different guns and holsters, but nothing about the belt.

What kind of Galco did you get? Some of Galco's stuff is really, really good. Other stuff from them...not so much.

Sounds like you might need a good belt? I carry a SA XD40 SC all the time, and it's not the lightest gun out there. I spent a little money and got a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro holster and I love it. Worth checking out, link at top of this page.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    You need a good belt and a holster (IWB or OWB) with the mounting points further away from the body of the holster. Only reason I mention the belt as you mention different guns and holsters, but nothing about the belt.

What kind of Galco did you get? Some of Galco's stuff is really, really good. Other stuff from them...not so much.
    Here is the link showing the Galco; Product: RH Stow-N-Go M&P Compact Holster

The belts I use are not gun belts, but are pretty thick, stiff belts. You know another thought came to mind, I'm like most men in their late fifties, I have a belly. Not huge, but a belly none the less. You know, I wear my pants higher in the back and under my belly in the front. Wondering if this is adding to the problem.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sounds like you need some Suspenders,they can even be worn under the shirt so they are also concealed
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    I have a S&W M&P9c complete with a "Dan Burwell" trigger job and stippling. I love the gun, love shooting it, and actually shoot it very well. Problem is I can't stand to carry it. I've mentioned it here in a couple of posts in the past. It seems like it's too heavy, always pulling my pants down. I have only carried it IWB. I have a "Remora" for it ( which is what I use for the bodyguard also and love it) and also bought a Galco IWB from Smith & Wesson. The Galco actually seems to be worse for pulling down my pants. Would switching to an OWB solve this? I feel like when I carry it I spend my entire day tugging at my pants. Because of this I just don't carry it at all. I carry my S&W Bodyguard revolver, which is super light and comfortable. Is the weight just something I need to "get used to" or is there a cure?
    IWB or OWB without a gun belt, it will never be comfortable. I tried MANY heavy thick belts because I was too cheap to buy a gun belt, there is no substitute. Also a holster with only one clip will put all the gun weight in the exact spot you carry. I carried that way with my first gun and It's not for me. Whether a hybrid or not the two clip design spreads the weight out evenly and makes a HUGE difference. When I carry my M&P40FS It's in a Kholster and I usually forget it's there. A lot of people tell you carrying is never comfortable and that it's not supposed to be, dress around your gun etc... Don't buy that crap, Right size gun for your body type plus a good belt/holster combo and you''ll be comfortable all day long. I took a pic of my M&P in it's holster in pants being held with a thick but NOT a gun belt even then it's not sagging. With one, and you wearing the pants it doesn't move at all. I was to lazy to take mine off for an actual pic but that actual gives you a better idea of the weight distribution.
    Attached Images

VIP Member
    A Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro holster and an A&G belt should solve your problem. Also, I like perry suspenders which clip on your belt.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

JD
    Administrator
    Here is the link showing the Galco; Product: RH Stow-N-Go M&P Compact Holster

The belts I use are not gun belts, but are pretty thick, stiff belts. You know another thought came to mind, I'm like most men in their late fifties, I have a belly. Not huge, but a belly none the less. You know, I wear my pants higher in the back and under my belly in the front. Wondering if this is adding to the problem.
    Yeah, that holster is less than ideal for anything less than a pocket sized/ultra lightweight gun. Wider mounting points, and a better belt should help a lot.

I recently got a Rock Steady belt from High Noon Holsters. It's top notch
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I have an M&Pc also. I carry it comfortably using a Comp-Tac, M-Tac holster, and one of their belts. The belt makes the difference. For OWB, I use an enhanced pancake from Lobo Gun Leather. Either way, the belt is key. If you still have issues, you can try wearing suspenders under your cover garment. (I wear them right on the skin under my shirt, to take some pressure off my lower back.)
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    As said already point (two clip) mounting will go a long way to making your side arm ride more comfortably.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Because of this I just don't carry it at all. I carry my S&W Bodyguard revolver, which is super light and comfortable.
    Clint Smith from Thunder Ranch has the best explanation for this I have ever heard. He says it isn't going to be comfortable, but it will be comforting should you have to defend your life. With a good belt you should be just fine. The M&P 9c is a light gun compared to a lot of others out there. I carry a Commander length 45 and it is not a problem. It is heavy, but I prefer the largest gun I can conceal.

But hey, if you just can't get it where you like it, then carry the bodyguard. Something is better than nothing.

I agree with JD and having two mounting positions away from the gun. With a heavier gun, I think only one attachment point to the belt is inadequate. Of the holsters I have, the Milt Sparks VM2 and the Comp-Tac CTAC might be good options for you.

Distinguished Member
    I also agree with JD.

The belt has to fit you. Some come with 5 holes spaced 1" apart and 7 holes spaced 3/4" apart.

Cool

High Noon Public Secret IWB holster and Cross Breed double layer gunbelt. Rock steady. My belt is cinched snug just above my hips.

photo.jpg
    click to enlarge.....
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links