Public Secret, by High Noon Holsters - Page 2

Public Secret, by High Noon Holsters

This is a discussion on Public Secret, by High Noon Holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thats a great combo Zacii, I have not had any problems with the shield getting in my way. It would be interesting to hash out ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Public Secret, by High Noon Holsters

Administrator
    Thats a great combo Zacii, I have not had any problems with the shield getting in my way. It would be interesting to hash out that problem here on the forum.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm with Sixto......all of my HN Holsters have body shields and none get in the way. I guess different body shapes can make a difference. Maybe some pics would show us what you're referring to! I've had to trim leather on occasion from some other Holsters for one reason or another.....hopefully, it's working out for you!
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

Cool

I am with Sixto and TX never a problem with the slide guard in getting a full grip on my Glocks, infact it actually helps with the draw eliminating any front sight grab of the undergarment as the weapon comes out of the mouth of the holster prior to presentation.......
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

When you guys present from your Public Secret, where do you put your thumb? Between the pistol and sweat shield, or behind it?

Sent from my phone
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Neither.....thumb goes right down alongside body shield on grip in normal gripping fashion!
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I have 3 holsters from High Noon. One of them had the body shield and I trimmed it back some as it got in the way of a full grip on the draw stroke. Good construction and quality.
    That should not be the case, we make that shield right in line with the gun so your hand should not touch it. Most times its just over the size of the guns slide. I am confused also here. Get some pictures so we can see.

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    That's the same thing that I'm facing. Either that, or altering my presentation.

Sent from my phone
    What holster do you have? Get me some pictures. The shield should not get in the way.

Justin

Here's a couple of pics. I just don't know what to do with my thumb, as it can't go high where it's accustomed.

Nor can I get my hand high in the beavertail.

I was trained to present from the holster, by first driving down on top of the pistol, getting a firing grip, then pulling straight up. Not so much pulling, but using the resistance of the holstered weapon as a spring board, popping back up out of the holster.

With this holster, I've tried just using my fingers and pulling the weapon out, from underneath rather than from the top.

perhaps my problem is just my method

Sent from my phone
    Attached Images
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Web of hand.jpg

This is perfect. I have edited the picture for you. Just pull the gun out. Seems like you were taught on a holster with no body shield. After you pull the gun everything else you have learned will fall into place. Your thumb will hit the gun as it comes out. If there was a problem with the design no one would make a body shield. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by High Noon View Post
    I guess we should explain this a bit more detailed then what's on our site ( We should add this to the site).

The OWB's do not have the same construction or materials used as the IWB's. The IWB's have the site track, synthetic reinforcement and tnuts (if you get straps instead of a clip). We tried doing it the easy way which meant just dipping the holster after it was sewed in dye, but short term and long term we did not like what our dye did to those parts. Those parts do not absorb the dye, the dye just lays on top of them. Short term we hated putting the gun in the holster and getting black dye on the gun's slide from the synthetic site track and then getting 2 shades of black cause of the reinforcement inside around the mouth of the holster not letting the dye absorb evenly. Now you could always dip the holster in the dye again, then you have twice as much exposure to the dye on the parts you do not want touching the dye in the first place. Now Long term the dye does eat into the parts, we dipped them and saw the results. The easy process for us just did not work to make a quality product short term and long term. So we had to get around all that by dyeing separate and sealing separate so those parts never touch the caustic dye. It works well but it's much more labor. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    With that being said you can get away with the easy way to do it, the guys with the blued guns may never notice (some will) the dye on the slide and the guys with the stainless/chrome will notice right away and I guess you could always tell them just wipe it off its a break-in thing. Not something we would want to hear if it was a $1,000 plus gun. As for the eating away of the parts, just replace as needed, LOL, LOL. It's a place High Noon Holsters does not want to be, we know better. We will always do the right thing by the customer or else we will not sell the product. Everyone knows our reputation and we will never get off that course.<o:p></o:p>
    The need for speed does have the site track but that's it, nothing else, so we just take a hit on the extra labor on that one, it's not a popular holster anyway. And yes we know we could get the leather pre dyed from the tannery, many makers do that, but we do not do that, we know how to dye and seal the black just fine.<o:p></o:p>
    I hope that helps clear up the dye mystery. <o:p></o:p>
    Justin <o:p></o:p>
    That does help clear things up, thank you Justin. I don't think I have ever seen anyone on here mention using a NFS, but I wanted to give it a try. I wonder about how well it will support the weight without the top of the pistol flopping out. But, it should take up significantly less real estate on my belt than the Skin Guard I had been using, so I figured it worth a shot. I should have a review up in about 3 weeks of it. This thread is yet another prime example of why High Noon gets most of my holster money.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Cool

On the initial purchase of the grip my thumb is just on the left side of the back of the slide of my G-23, my index finger is down the right side of frame on the outside of the holster and my bottom three fingers take hold of the grip. As the pistol begins to clear the holster mouth my thumb goes down the left side of the frame and the web of my hand contacts the backstrap high up into the bevertail to complete the grip.

Just like Justin described except my thumb does not go between the skinguard and my body but stays on the back of the weapons slide. When I am drawing my cocked and locked Hi-Power my thumb is on the back of the hammer. As the weapon comes up into the firing posistion my thumb comes off the hammer and wipes the thumb safety to the off posistion.
    Last edited by Old School; May 27th, 2011 at 05:02 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    On the initial purchase of the grip my thumb is just on the left side of the back of the slide of my G-23, my index finger is down the right side of frame on the outside of the holster and my bottom three fingers take hold of the grip. As the pistol begins to clear the holster mouth my thumb goes down the left side of the frame and the web of my hand contacts the backstrap high up into the bevertail to complete the grip.

Just like Justin described except my thumb does not go between the skinguard and my body but stays on the back of the weapons slide. When I am drawing my cocked and locked Hi-Power my thumb is on the back of the hammer. As the weapon comes up into the firing posistion my thumb comes of the hammer and wipes the thumb safety to the off posistion.
    We agree with Old School, that draw will work. Just to make sure everything is clear. Your thumb should not be trying to get in between the gun and the shield. If you cannot do it this way we do have holsters with no shield but the shield is the way to go. I am sure some do it that way and can get used to it but to us it uncomfortable and not needed.

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    That does help clear things up, thank you Justin. I don't think I have ever seen anyone on here mention using a NFS, but I wanted to give it a try. I wonder about how well it will support the weight without the top of the pistol flopping out. But, it should take up significantly less real estate on my belt than the Skin Guard I had been using, so I figured it worth a shot. I should have a review up in about 3 weeks of it. This thread is yet another prime example of why High Noon gets most of my holster money.

Justin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links