Public Secret, by High Noon Holsters

This is a discussion on Public Secret, by High Noon Holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just wanted to share some pics of my new holster. I really haven't practiced with it much, nor have I carried it very much, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Public Secret, by High Noon Holsters

Public Secret, by High Noon Holsters

I just wanted to share some pics of my new holster.

I really haven't practiced with it much, nor have I carried it very much, yet. So I really can't say how much I like it just yet.

Sent from my phone
    Attached Images
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

2. Remove Ads

I am still undecided whether or not I like the single clip.

It let's the holster move a bit, which is good for some things, but bad for others.

I am also experimenting with appendix carry, which is interesting with a 1911. Especially considering that I'm not a very big person.

I also got a Rock Steady belt. It supports my PT1911 wonderfully.

(this post is also a phone experiment; uploading pictures is a challenge )

Sent from my phone
    Attached Images

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

los
    I've never been able to comfortably carry with a IWB holster that's designed with a single belt clip. The design allows for unwanted inevitable shifting and concentrates the entire weight of the handgun in one area, which will typically cause the rig/handgun to droop at the belt line.

A good stiff belt would be beneficial when using this type of holster, specially is used with a heavy Piece.

As with all holsters made by High Noon, the Public Secret appears to be made extremely well. But it's a design that's never worked well for me.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I have several Public Secrets and use them several days a week when carrying appendix....the fact that they are able to move a little is why I really get along so well with them. They are plenty sturdy on my Rock Steady Belt but can be shifted ever so slightly when sitting or getting in and out of my truck.....I'm in the Hunting Business and Ranch Real Estate, so I spend a lot of time driving and need a little flexibility with my Holsters! I have many other Holsters for all my carry pistols but on days when I'll be spending a lot of time in my truck, if I'm carrying appendix IWB, it's usually with a Public Secret......comfortable & very well made! It takes a litle time to get use to making slight adjustments for sitting and driving, but after a short time it will come natural and I think you'll really enjoy this holster.....Good Luck!
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

High Noon's tend to be some of the few single clip IWB's I can use, probably because it has that nice, thick, solid clip. Congrats on the new holster, if you have any issues or don't like it, be sure to contact High Noon, as their customer service is great.
    Old School likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I have one for a Colt Government model that I picked up back in the 90's. The only issue I have with it is I didn't get one with the body shield and the 1911 digs into my side.

I picked up their Rock Steady belt, Down Under IWB for my Sig P229 SCT last year with a double and single mag carrier. I think High Noon puts a lot of pride in their workmanship and thought in the holster designs.

Out of all the belts I have owned HN is the top, very rigid and stable yet comfortable.

High Noon makes some great holsters. I use both High Noon and Fist IWB's with single clips. With a good belt and kept snug, I have not had much movement with my holsters.
    Old School likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Cool

I use a Cross Breed double layer belt with my Public Secret carred in appendix posistion and am very pleased with the stability of the rig. I got one in each color because I have several Glocks that fit the same model holster.

photo.jpgphoto.jpg
    click to enlarge.......
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I use a Cross Breed double layer belt with my Public Secret carred in appendix posistion and am very pleased with the stability of the rig. I got one in each color because I have several Glocks that fit the same model holster.

photo.jpgphoto.jpg
    click to enlarge.......
    It looks like the dye took well to the holster. Unless that is a different holster that you are wearing compared to the one next to it.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Yes that is a different holster.

High Noon makes two seperate holsters and charges much more for the black one because they explain that they can't just dye a natural one but must make the black one from scratch.

They explain it on their web site and I liked the holster enough to buy into the explaination of the added cost.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Yes that is a different holster.

High Noon makes two seperate holsters and charges much more for the black one because they explain that they can't just dye a natural one but must make the black one from scratch.

They explain it on their web site and I liked the holster enough to buy into the explaination of the added cost.
    Interestingly, some of their holsters offer black as an option at no cost, but that is for OWB's, and not their IWBs. I think it has to do with which side of the leather is facing outwards. But I'm no leather expert, I do remember once reading that about their black Public Secrets. My black Need for Speed cost the same as a tan one.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I guess we should explain this a bit more detailed then what's on our site ( We should add this to the site).

The OWB's do not have the same construction or materials used as the IWB's. The IWB's have the site track, synthetic reinforcement and tnuts (if you get straps instead of a clip). We tried doing it the easy way which meant just dipping the holster after it was sewed in dye, but short term and long term we did not like what our dye did to those parts. Those parts do not absorb the dye, the dye just lays on top of them. Short term we hated putting the gun in the holster and getting black dye on the gun's slide from the synthetic site track and then getting 2 shades of black cause of the reinforcement inside around the mouth of the holster not letting the dye absorb evenly. Now you could always dip the holster in the dye again, then you have twice as much exposure to the dye on the parts you do not want touching the dye in the first place. Now Long term the dye does eat into the parts, we dipped them and saw the results. The easy process for us just did not work to make a quality product short term and long term. So we had to get around all that by dyeing separate and sealing separate so those parts never touch the caustic dye. It works well but it's much more labor. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    With that being said you can get away with the easy way to do it, the guys with the blued guns may never notice (some will) the dye on the slide and the guys with the stainless/chrome will notice right away and I guess you could always tell them just wipe it off its a break-in thing. Not something we would want to hear if it was a $1,000 plus gun. As for the eating away of the parts, just replace as needed, LOL, LOL. It's a place High Noon Holsters does not want to be, we know better. We will always do the right thing by the customer or else we will not sell the product. Everyone knows our reputation and we will never get off that course.<o:p></o:p>
    The need for speed does have the site track but that's it, nothing else, so we just take a hit on the extra labor on that one, it's not a popular holster anyway. And yes we know we could get the leather pre dyed from the tannery, many makers do that, but we do not do that, we know how to dye and seal the black just fine.<o:p></o:p>
    I hope that helps clear up the dye mystery. <o:p></o:p>
    Justin <o:p></o:p>

I have 3 holsters from High Noon. One of them had the body shield and I trimmed it back some as it got in the way of a full grip on the draw stroke. Good construction and quality.

I have a Split Decision for my 709 with CT Laser Guard. Great holster for this weapon. The holster holds the weapon securely but allows a good draw. I very much wish the Split decision cost 10 dollars more and had leather between my body and the slide. It would be so much more comfortable.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I have 3 holsters from High Noon. One of them had the body shield and I trimmed it back some as it got in the way of a full grip on the draw stroke. Good construction and quality.
    That's the same thing that I'm facing. Either that, or altering my presentation.

Sent from my phone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links