Pocket Carry is Dead to me.

This is a discussion on Pocket Carry is Dead to me. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With some of the awesome tuckable IWB holsters out there and even more concealable options like the Smartcarry, I just dont find pocket carry a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Pocket Carry is Dead to me.

With some of the awesome tuckable IWB holsters out there and even more concealable options like the Smartcarry, I just dont find pocket carry a very useful method and just want to see if there is something I am missing.

Obvioulsy the best aspect of pocket carry (PC) is that you can have your hand, proactively, on the grip very discretley. However, I cant help but imagone that if I ever find myself in such a position, I probably will not be planning for it; It will most likely be very unexpected and involve very reactive measures and instincts - but who knows, really.

So aside from being able to have your hand on the grip = I think the smart carry has really provided a more comofrtable, more utilitarian (in that it saves a precious pocket), and more discreet method of carry. Saving a pocket is a big deal to me, becuase I carry a very simple array of tools, flashlight, Mtool and pocket knife; throw in a phone, wallet and that pocket becomes a big deal. Not only all that, but the biggest advantage is that allows someone to carry a much larger sized gun than PC.

Based on these reasons, I just have no use for PC. And believe me, I love all those little 380s on the market, I think they are way cool and would love to come up with an excuse to buy one. But, if I am given the choice, I really don't see why I would choose to shove a 380 in my pocket, when I can comfortbaly fit a 9/40, or even 45 in my pants.

I'm just curious - WHo aggress/disagrees?

On my own property and only there, I pocket carry a Kahr PM9. The pistol is really too big to be pocket-carried in a public place, but of course, printing at home doesn't matter.

Unless we're talking about the Rohrbaugh 9mm, everything I've seen that could feasibly be pocket-carried was a .380 and I just don't care for those.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Part is using the .380 as a backup to our 9/40/45 as I mainly use it. For me, Sig P238 BUG to my IWB MTAC Glock 26 or 19.

I can see the argument of some people not being comfortable concealing larger calibers IWB and going for
    Pocket carry. All good as far as I am concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiko View Post
    Part is using the .380 as a backup to our 9/40/45 as I mainly use it. For me, Sig P238 BUG to my IWB MTAC Glock 26 or 19.

I can see the argument of some people not being comfortable concealing larger calibers IWB and going for
    Pocket carry. All good as far as I am concerned.
    I agree, more power to them. If you can carry a BUG - go for it.

However, for me, I do not carry a backup and will not and I dont really feel comofrtabel carring a 380 as a primary when I can carry larger calibers more discreetly and save a pocket.

So, For the sake of this question, lets assume were are only dealing with the primary gun.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    i like pocket carry for my smith and wesson j-frame for formal wear and days when a holster on my hip or elsewhere may get snagged on something. I also carry it in my pocket for running errands. For me its more the convience of throwing a small .38 in my pocket and having a gun then being able to carry something bigger. If I'm going out in shirts and a T-shirt I hate wearing an undershirt so in the pocket goes my 642
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I PC my Ruger LC9 as well as my LCP.

It never held any appeal for me.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I don't carry my .380 in a pocket, but instead iwb between 1 to 2 position. I'm not concerned as much as some about caliber in the summer. And even in a tighter fitting t-shirt its totally concealed, and very easily accessed.

For work, where I am usually tucked in, I used to pocket carry my PM9, then got a little discouraged by recurring failures, so exchanged for a 642. That worked ok in cargo pocket carry, a little large for front pocket. I finally decided to try Smart Carry and I was amazed at how well that worked. Then I realized that the same Smart Carry I ordered for my 642 worked fine with my Glock 27. Done. Off the job, it's always AIWB.

It's kind of hard for me to justify 5 rounds of .38 vs 10 rounds of .40 if carrying it is just as easy.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by red13 View Post
    ...It's kind of hard for me to justify 5 rounds of .38 vs 10 rounds of .40 if carrying it is just as easy.
    Exactly!

Too many pocket shots lately, I could never carry like that.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I can't stand wearing Thunderwear/SmartCarry. It just isn't comfortable for me in any way. I never forget the gun is there and it's a huge hassle to use the bathroom. It's just not for me.

I pocket carry a Kahr P380 most of the summer. I load it with Buffalo Bore .380ACP +P and hope for the best.

it depends alot on what you are wearing and what you are doing, i wear dickie overalls almost everyday and my ruger lcr in a pocket holster disappears in my right front pocket, but momma likes me to wear my "bigboy" pants when we go out so i have other holsters and guns to carry when i have a belt on, i will admit if you are driving the pocket draw can be tuff to do.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    I can't stand wearing Thunderwear/SmartCarry. It just isn't comfortable for me in any way. I never forget the gun is there and it's a huge hassle to use the bathroom. It's just not for me.

I pocket carry a Kahr P380 most of the summer. I load it with Buffalo Bore .380ACP +P and hope for the best.
    Man I am GLAD someone else feels as I do! Everyone sings the praises of this system of carry and it was the most uncomfortable, strangest feeling carry option I have ever tired! Plus I couldn't actually access my weapon without damn near undoing my belt and pants!

I (mostly) carry a fullsize 1911 Gov't in a crossbreed super tuck, but do use a pocket holster (RBKA) for my BUG...a .380 which I carry weak side...

I like to have my shirts tucked in and wear a belt. Can't really do that with an iwb holser. In colder weather, no problem. I have my G22 in a Comp Tac CTac IWB holster. But for summer carry, I wanted something I could put in my pocket but with more power than a .380 or 9mm. So I went with a G33 in .357 SIG and a Don Hume pocket holster. Works perfectly. Conceals just fine. I have that with me every day and no one has a clue.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links