Working with the most basic of the minimal holsters/alternative concealment method.

This is a discussion on Working with the most basic of the minimal holsters/alternative concealment method. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I try to remain open minded until I have been there and done that myself and gained hands on personal experience with a product. You ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By matthew03

Thread: Working with the most basic of the minimal holsters/alternative concealment method.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar

Working with the most basic of the minimal holsters/alternative concealment method.

I try to remain open minded until I have been there and done that myself and gained hands on personal experience with a product. You won't see me make a statement like "best ever, or this is the only way." I will state what works for me and quantify that statement with my opinion and findings.

There are a lot of different ways to get from point A to point B, especially in the firearms field, and the way one does it isn't necessarily good for the next. Here is something that I am still experimenting with, but am drawing a favorable conclusion for limited use.

The Zacchaeus minimalist holster built by Dale Frick Holsters is a kydex "trigger sheath" that, while being carried AIWB Mexican carry (appendix in the waistband, sans traditional holster), attaches to the wearer's belt with a nylon cord. The cordage keeps the Zacchaeus and gun from sliding down into the wearer's pants too deeply or allowing it to move horizontally around the waist band.

I have found this method of carry very secure, surprisingly so in fact. With no loss of weapon retention or control. I feel completely secure in carrying this way for casual, non-active activities; running to the grocery store, renting a movie, errands, etc.

I have found my XD service model .40 S&W conceals easily and securely. The weapon doesn't shift anymore than one wants an appendix rig to shift being that some movement is good for this technique when going from standing to seated positions or bending. In fact, except for not having the extra bulk of a holster IWB it feels like the gun is holstered traditionally anyway.

Where this type of rig shines is in carrying off the body in a purse for the girls, briefcase, day planner, pocket carry in a CC jacket or vest, glove box, or nightstand for home defense. This device will keep the trigger covered on a striker/SA fired design, those without external safety like the Glocks, XDs, etc. I don't find this necessary with DA or a pistol with an external safety, but for a machine that goes bang with very little trigger pressure I like it. Especially when half asleep and fumbling for a weapon when you hear that bump in the night and reach for your HD gun. With this product you have something protecting you from negligently pulling the trigger while trying to get a firing grip in the dark.

I like this product. I won't be giving up my leather rigs for it, but it fills a niche and a purpose for me.

www.dalefrickholsters.com
    red13 and tmoore912 like this.

2. Remove Ads

That's interesting, and probably safer than a clipdraw
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

The dalefrick site cannot be found.

According to your description, I'd say it's an accident waiting to shorten your 'mainstay'...IMHO

I like lots of leather around my pistolas.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Dale Fricke Holsters

working link
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

Not really an idea I'm comfortable with. I would be worried about the thing snapping off. I could see my belt riding down and taking the holster with it.

I have both the Zach and the Vanguard brand of trigger sheaths. They both use the same basic concept, are high quality and work very well. The Zach is molded to some guns and the Vanguard is molded to others, so it's nice to know about both brands. Both are molded so as to fit well.

Both are mounted by sliding them over the trigger guard until they snap into place. Once in place they both are quite secure and take a non-trivial amount of force to pull them off. They are definitely not going to fall off or get knocked off by accident. I'd feel very safe snapping one one and tossing it in a bag or pouch. And note that all my handguns are DAO with no manual safety levers: if the trigger is pulled, they shoot.

Matthew3: I haven't found a way to tie the attached lanyard onto my belt that I'm satisfied with. So far with every method I try I end up having to pull the gun way up above belt level to pull the sheath off. How do you tie your Zach onto your belt?
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Even if the trigger is not an issue I like that a holster holds the gun in place. I don't want it sliding around. It just stays with a clip. No wrenching down my belt to make everything hold.

mfcmb, Since you own one I think you will be able to understand this from my description... I looped the nylon lanyard through the hole and at the end I tied a knot, coupling both ends together, making a large loop. Then I slide the loop underneath my belt from the bottom until the knotted end came out the top edge of my belt. I thread the entire holster through the loop between both ends and pull it down tight on my belt. Now it is secured and ready to be clipped on the trigger guard and the gun and holster inserted AIWB. You may need to experiment where you tie the knot as that will change the depth of where the holster rides, it took me a couple of times before I got that to where I could get a full firing grip on the firearm.

I will admit I think your daw stroke will end up being higher than what it would take to clear leather, but not obnoxiously so. I have modified my draw to an up and back motion. This creates distance from your centerline as the gun comes up and out of my waistband. In effect this pulls the lanyard taught and frees the weapon and adds to retention security.

retsupt99, Haha! let's hope not. Seriously, the kydex is very well formed, fits so well and holds securely. I haven't the slightest worry I will damage anything important.

zeppelin03, It takes quite a bit of force to dislodge the sheath from the trigger guard. It is a much tighter fit than any standard kydex holster I have used. The probability that it would happen unintentionally is, in my mind non existent.

Matthew3: Thanks, your description of how to attach it to your belt helps a lot. After fiddling with the length of the loop I've gotten it so that it's as short as possible so that my draw stroke can be as short as possible. I found that a beneficial side effect is that the loop holds the gun up so that it doesn't sink down into my pants (beyond where I want it). My normal draw with a regular holster is to drop the elbow as soon as the muzzle clears the holster, which puts the gun into a firing position as soon as possible. With a trigger-guard holster I have to pull up further, and since I need to be pulling up with enough force to insure that it snaps free of the holster, what I do is yank the gun up to the nipple level just the the right of the pectoral muscle, which places the gun in a retention and a firing position in one motion.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

got some small pieces of kydex around, might have to try to make one... not that $15 is a bad price, not at all. Just like to tinker. Might try making mine with some sort of integral loop, though...

Sounds cool Red13, put up some pics when you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by mfcmb View Post
    So far with every method I try I end up having to pull the gun way up above belt level to pull the sheath off.
    This was my experience. IMO, yet another novel concept that just didn't work out in real life...

Links