concealed carry holster - Page 2

concealed carry holster

This is a discussion on concealed carry holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dbraves8 Well I am going to try to conceal my XD Subcompact if that doesnt work I will then look into a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: concealed carry holster

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbraves8 View Post
    Well I am going to try to conceal my XD Subcompact if that doesnt work I will then look into a glock possibly although I dont know it a little more than a half inch less in length glock 4.17 vs springfield 4.75 height is gonna make the biggest difference. I think the thickness might be the big factor along with the height of the gun.
    In this game, fractions of an inch can be all the difference. Sadly, it takes a healthy budget and quite a bit of commitment to be able to search for that "just right" compromise for your unique body, dress style, and the chosen firearm/holster combo - there are people who do that, but in most cases, we're continually "evolving" our carry equipment.

If you have friends who carry and/or join a local concealed-carry club/Forum community, you may be able to "try on" some different firearms and setups.

The Kahr is 4 inches in height and .90 inches in thickness big difference in the other two. I think I could conceal that easier than a J Frame due to the height and thickness of a j frame is larger than the PM 9. My last resort will be a LCP 380, or keltec 380 or possibly a diamond back 380 although I want to carry a 9mm at the smallest for my primary.
    I also wanted to keep with the 9x19 as my carry - my "pocket carry" is a Kahr PM9, and yes, it's a whole world's difference from my XDm9 3.8 Compact, which is my true-EDC (usually in a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro, but occasionally in a CBST or MTAC - typically when I need a bit "flatter" concealment: not a fault of the Pure Kustom, rather, where and how I carry, the CBST/MTAC can sit a bit "flatter"), but it also doesn't handle like the larger pistols. When/if you step down to the sub-guns, that'll become even more apparent.

Also wanted to add the two holsters that I have been looking into to conceal the best are the crossbreed supertuck and the MTAC. Which one would work the best?
    Comp Tac vs Crossbreed Supertuck ..... which one is better ?

^ Like I said there, which one of those two works better for me simply depends on the pants I'm wearing. It doesn't take long at all to slip them on/off, so if I find that one's bulging a bit strangely, I just get the other one, and see if that doesn't make it better. After a couple of weeks, I cycled through all of my different makes/models of pants, and had it pretty much figured out.

Overall, the problem is that to a certain extent, you're either going to have to modify your dress around what and how you carry, or you're going to have to modify how/what you carry around your dress.

You wouldn't be disappointed with a Garrett Industries Silent thunder IWB. It is leather lined Kydex so the gun finish won't show holster wear as bad as most other holster. It conceals very well and is tuckable so you can wear a shirt over it and tuck it in with a natural blousing effect around the belt. I carry my PM9 in one for over a year now and it is very comfortable and well concealed. You can find them here Garrett Industries.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by TXOutfitter View Post
    Good answer from Thumper! Concealled Carry is not easy or convenient! You have to dress around your carry and that requires some wardrobe changes...... at least in size and fit! If you're not willing to do that, then your carry options are very limited.....
    Excellent advice.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    In this game, fractions of an inch can be all the difference. Sadly, it takes a healthy budget and quite a bit of commitment to be able to search for that "just right" compromise for your unique body, dress style, and the chosen firearm/holster combo - there are people who do that, but in most cases, we're continually "evolving" our carry equipment.

If you have friends who carry and/or join a local concealed-carry club/Forum community, you may be able to "try on" some different firearms and setups.

I also wanted to keep with the 9x19 as my carry - my "pocket carry" is a Kahr PM9, and yes, it's a whole world's difference from my XDm9 3.8 Compact, which is my true-EDC (usually in a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro, but occasionally in a CBST or MTAC - typically when I need a bit "flatter" concealment: not a fault of the Pure Kustom, rather, where and how I carry, the CBST/MTAC can sit a bit "flatter"), but it also doesn't handle like the larger pistols. When/if you step down to the sub-guns, that'll become even more apparent.

Comp Tac vs Crossbreed Supertuck ..... which one is better ?

^ Like I said there, which one of those two works better for me simply depends on the pants I'm wearing. It doesn't take long at all to slip them on/off, so if I find that one's bulging a bit strangely, I just get the other one, and see if that doesn't make it better. After a couple of weeks, I cycled through all of my different makes/models of pants, and had it pretty much figured out.

Overall, the problem is that to a certain extent, you're either going to have to modify your dress around what and how you carry, or you're going to have to modify how/what you carry around your dress.
    How easily is the PM9 to pocket carry I am really considering that gun to be my first choice if I cant conceal the XD

^ Depends on your pocket. I know, that sounds like a cop-out answer, but it's the truth.

For some reason, my jeans pockets (everything from my daily Old Navy and Levis to the "going out" Tommy Bahamas and Diesels that my wife made me buy) makes the gun (in its usual D.M.Bullard pocket holster) bulge more. Not that it doesn't seem like it's just my wallet or maybe even a smart-phone, but it's more of a bulge than I like. Strangely enough, when I switch to khakis (various, again ranging from Dockers to better production-retail; I have few items that are bespoke, but none in my daily - or even "occasional" - wardrobe) , the bulge is significantly lessened. I'd wager that it's on the angle at which the pocket's innards are.

On the other hand, if I wore what my buddy wears all the time - khakis with cargo pockets - I could easily have the PM9 completely disappear.

Even then, the question becomes: what can I pocket-carry, with discretion, when we're in, say, very dressy pants. That little bulge in stiffer/stronger khakis is going to seem awful with dressier clothing.

So again, it comes to you - what you wear, and what you can get away with both socially as well as what kind of compromises you're willing to make, based on your carry preference.

If you either can't or don't want to change your wardrobe, then perhaps you'll have to eat the compromise of going to deeper-concealment carry: maybe a SmartCarry/Thunderwear type holster, or a holster-shirt (Holster Shirt | Concealed Carry Undergear Shirts | 5.11 Tactical) as an undershirt, or maybe even ankle-rigs - and realize that will even further compromise your draw/presentation, as well as may even further limit the type of firearm you seek.

For me, I was able to get around the "dress to your gun" issue by choosing a pistol that's just small enough (XDm9 3.8 Compact) and with good belts and holsters. I've been in Old Navy T-shirts and jeans for the last decade or so (I'm now 36, and I've been an academic scientist for much of that time, so that's my "uniform"), and if I were to switch up my dress, now, everyone from my friends to my family would be giving me the eye. I'd love to carry a full-sized pistol, OWB, but because of this, I've made my compromises.

I've got my XDm on me more than 80% of the time that I carry. The holsters I have for it are designed to be secure, easy to draw from, and conceal reasonably well. The PM9, on the other hand, is truly an alternate, when I've got no way of making the XDm conceal reasonably - so the holsters I have for it are specifically for that role: they're alternatives.

You need to realize that there will be compromises that *you* will need to make, unique to your needs - and you'll have to train around them.

Can't beat the Hybrids. My EDC is a Glock 26 but I also carry my M&P40 in the cooler seasons. Both in Kholsters. I've also got a SuperTuck for my Sigma but don't really carry that anymore. I bought a MTAC once but returned it a couple days in. couldn't stand the cheap clips they use and since there not as wide it didn't spread the weight as well as the other two did. The plus for you is since your a 34 waist if needed you could buy 35 pants. The unofficial rule is add an inch. Thats the only oddball size I think they make. People argue all the time about Carrying IWB is not comfortable, or the whole "dress around the gun" thing. If it's not comfortable then you've either got the wrong gun for you, wrong holster for you, or both plain and simple. Some people insist on carrying a cannon which is fine but they blame self inflicted discomfort on carry and not there choice. There's a concealable, comfortable option for everyone. Don't rule out SmartCarry. Much more comfortable than you think.
    Attached Images

^ For me, the strange thing is that I didn't have to add an inch to the waist of my pants, but I needed to add 2 inches to my belt measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Snatale42 View Post
    Can't beat the Hybrids. My EDC is a Glock 26 but I also carry my M&P40 in the cooler seasons. Both in Kholsters. I've also got a SuperTuck for my Sigma but don't really carry that anymore. I bought a MTAC once but returned it a couple days in. couldn't stand the cheap clips they use and since there not as wide it didn't spread the weight as well as the other two did. The plus for you is since your a 34 waist if needed you could buy 35 pants. The unofficial rule is add an inch. Thats the only oddball size I think they make. People argue all the time about Carrying IWB is not comfortable, or the whole "dress around the gun" thing. If it's not comfortable then you've either got the wrong gun for you, wrong holster for you, or both plain and simple. Some people insist on carrying a cannon which is fine but they blame self inflicted discomfort on carry and not there choice. There's a concealable, comfortable option for everyone. Don't rule out SmartCarry. Much more comfortable than you think.
    what are those two holsters you use

+1 on Pure Kustom Holsters (www.purekustomholsters.com). Rocky is a fantastic guy to work with, and the holsters he makes are top notch. My husband is 6'3", 190lbs and easily conceals his Sig P220 and Glock 29 wearing the Black Ops Pro IWB or OWB.

I would also suggest a Remora No Clip (Home of the Original Remora No Clip Holster) as a secondary option. The price is right and they really do work!

We think that concealed carry is a lifestyle choice and can cause a lifestyle change (at least in the way dress). Not only do we have to take into consideration the guns, holsters and belts we use but also how we move about in public. In my opinion people in general do not notice bulges and the little things that we worry about when it comes to concealed carry. On the other hand, we have to be careful when bending or reaching overhead (we will not even talk about trying on shoes...lol).

Quote Originally Posted by ccholsters View Post
    We think that concealed carry is a lifestyle choice and can cause a lifestyle change (at least in the way dress). Not only do we have to take into consideration the guns, holsters and belts we use but also how we move about in public. In my opinion people in general do not notice bulges and the little things that we worry about when it comes to concealed carry. On the other hand, we have to be careful when bending or reaching overhead (we will not even talk about trying on shoes...lol).
    or how about not giving a hoot if the gun gets exposed while reaching for something?

Quote Originally Posted by dbraves8 View Post
    what are those two holsters you use
    Both of them are Kholster Crescents

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    or how about not giving a hoot if the gun gets exposed while reaching for something?
    Some of the non open carry states can charge you with brandishing if you print. Where I'm from in MA people have got there permits revoked for it. Once the MWAG call goes out the cops are looking to screw you to the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    Is that passed 100% sure and when does it go into effect

I carry my PM9 in a pocket holster in my work levis when working in the yard or a quick run to the store. There is a little bulge but I don't think people even notice because it looks more like a wallet than gun. When going places I carry it in a Garrett Silent Thunder IWB where it disappears under my over shirt which I wear anyway because of suspenders. I also use the IWB for dress pants and can tuck in the shirt with a good conceal. All in all, the PM9 is an excellent concealed carry gun. If you want more on the Silent Thunder, click on my signature link.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links