concealed carry holster

This is a discussion on concealed carry holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a holster to conceal my Springfield XD subcompact 9mm with. I am in my young 20's and I do wear form ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: concealed carry holster

concealed carry holster

I am looking for a holster to conceal my Springfield XD subcompact 9mm with. I am in my young 20's and I do wear form fitting clothing. My shirts arent baggy and loose but they arent like under armour they are just fitting to my body with not lots of loose slack left. I am 6ft 185Lbs and not the biggest guy I have about a 34 waist and need a really good IWB holster that I can conceal my pistol with and that is a good holster that will be able to be wore often. I am worried the gun is too big for me to conceal.

Please post what you suggest?

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Inside the waistband holster. Several good holster makers support this site. Get a shirt you can wear open over the top of your t-shirt or get some looser fitting shirts!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Good answer from Thumper! Concealled Carry is not easy or convenient! You have to dress around your carry and that requires some wardrobe changes...... at least in size and fit! If you're not willing to do that, then your carry options are very limited.....
    sgb and Xader like this.
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

I'm a young guy too, 22, I wear fitting clothing as well sometimes (when I'm not at work in my suit/tie/slacks) but everyone is right. It's not simple. Best advice is a good all leather holster, good (more than likely expensive) belt, and a button up or loose t-shirt. I would probably also recommend staying away from those brand name stores (A&F, HCO, etc..) their stuff is a little small no matter what size you are. Post pics with a solution and best of luck to you!

Good advice younggun! You're so right, if you're going to wear normal fitting clothes, you're going to need a good gun belt that holds your holster tight to your body......I prefer leather and IWB is the easiest to dress around. There are multitudes of good holster makers. I use High Noon Public Secret, Milt Sparks Summer Special 2, Alessi Talon Plus, and have an Andrews Leather McDaniels ll on order. These are all high quality, very concealable Holsters. The HN Slide Guard OWB also fits real high and tight under a loose fitting shirt and is my preferred carry in colder weather or when it's cool enough for a pullover or vest. With these IWB rigs I can wear my normal 32" pants and medium shirts without printing! It just takes some time and experimenting to find what works for you.....Good Luck!
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

Beltman belt and MaxTuck holster. Works great for me and my Gen4 Glock 27. Buy quality from the start or you'll have a drawer full of crappy holsters, trust me.

I am very happy with my remora iwb. I carry both my full sized glocks IWB in one of their holsters. never a problem

AKJ Concealco LLC - Concealment gun holsters, personal defense related equipment, and other gunleather.. Get the Select grade. Close fitting and most comfortable I have ever had. Can carry G27, G23 and 4" 1911 no problem.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

As others have said, a good belt and some adjustment in what you wear is paramount. As Clint Smith says a gun isn't supposed to be comfortable, it is supposed to be comforting should you need to protect your life.

I'm 25 5'11" 165lbs and I generally don't wear loose or baggy clothing as well, other than my uniforms. I've had luck with collared tees and polos (though it may just be due to my shape) because they don't seem to taper as much as a well-fitting t-shirt does so it ends up being a good fit around my shoulders and upper body while still being loose enough for a 1911 or my M&P IWB. Long-sleeved button-ups that are not meant to be worn tucked in work well for the same reason, just make sure they aren't too thin when you are wearing a light-colored one because you may be able to make out a black pistol through it.

These all seem to work well for normal movement, though if you bend over to pick stuff up or the like you may have to start going into a crouch or squatting, this is something I already did so it wasn't an issue for me. Something else to watch out for is beware of very short shirts and lifting your arms high up, especially if it is a lightweight material because even if you don't expose your firearm you may end up having material settle on it instead of being dragged all the way back down by its own weight which will make it pretty obvious that you are carrying something there. If I do end up wearing one of my more tapered tees in the summer, sometimes I'll just go with a thinner pistol IWB or pocket carry my j-frame.

As far as holster choice is concerned, I'd suggest searching through some of the old holster threads for ideas as far as brands and style, there is a lot of good information there and sometimes you can even get pictures. That being said, if this is your first gun/holster for carry, don't be surprised if you end up changing around either one or both out a few times before you settle on a system that works for you. I hope this helps, good luck.

VIP Member
    Gun belt from A & G and a Black Ops Pro holster from Pure Kustom work well for me. Al & Rocky are first rate to deal with and have very good products.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Loosen up the clothing a bit and shop here...lots of fine IWB holsters... http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/Default.htm
    I have quite a few of these... http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/1A.htm
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I find that button-up, short sleeved shirts work well for me. I believe that they are cooler in the heat, too.

Sent from my phone
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Cool

photo.jpgphoto.jpg
    click to enlarge...

I am 5'11" 185 lbs with a 36" waist. I carry a Glock 23 in a High Noon Public Secret holster IWB appendix posistion with a Beltman 2 ply gunbelt. Cover garment is a untucked Polo shirt or as Zacii said a nice short sleeve button up shirt untucked.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Well I am going to try to conceal my XD Subcompact if that doesnt work I will then look into a glock possibly although I dont know it a little more than a half inch less in length glock 4.17 vs springfield 4.75 height is gonna make the biggest difference. I think the thickness might be the big factor along with the height of the gun.

The Kahr is 4 inches in height and .90 inches in thickness big difference in the other two. I think I could conceal that easier than a J Frame due to the height and thickness of a j frame is larger than the PM 9. My last resort will be a LCP 380, or keltec 380 or possibly a diamond back 380 although I want to carry a 9mm at the smallest for my primary.

Also wanted to add the two holsters that I have been looking into to conceal the best are the crossbreed supertuck and the MTAC. Which one would work the best?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links