High Noon Public Secret/Hideaway Verses Comp tac MTAC Neutral Cant

This is a discussion on High Noon Public Secret/Hideaway Verses Comp tac MTAC Neutral Cant within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I have been Appendix carrying for several years, but with a J frame. This was in a Galco UDC. While I do hate the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So I have been Appendix carrying for several years, but with a J frame. This was in a Galco UDC. While I do hate the J clips that come on the Galco it did seem to work fine.

My problem is I just recently bought a Kahr CW9. I have done a ton of research and need some help deciding between these two (I think just these). While I like the slide protection the Public Secret has I don't think I would like the higher ride position that it provides. Which is why I was looking at the Hideaway, but (nothings perfect) I would like to have the slide protection. but I know the need for combat grip. it is just that my Galco did have a low ride and it seemed to work well for me.

I have also been looking at the neutral cant of the MTAC, I really think it has the best of both worlds that High Noon offers. Slide backing and adjustable ride height. if I would need to change from 1 o'clock to something different can this be adjusted to say 3 or 5 o'clock? with different cant?

I have probably already answered my own question, but I do really like Leather and would love to have the High Noon just don't know if it will work for me.

If any one has pictures of a Kahr in MTAC I would love to see them. or the ride height of the High Noon Public Secret.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by murrdog66 View Post
    I have also been looking at the neutral cant of the MTAC, I really think it has the best of both worlds that High Noon offers. Slide backing and adjustable ride height. if I would need to change from 1 o'clock to something different can this be adjusted to say 3 or 5 o'clock? with different cant?
    I can't help you much, but that's one I can answer.

The "Neutral Cant" applies to the angle of the holster body - you can still cant the entire holster a bit by offsetting the spacing of the two clip mounting locations, but as compared to the standard canted model (yes, I have both), there's obviously going to be less adjustment.

Moving the Neutral Cant to the 3-o'clock isn't much of a problem, but moving it to the 5, I can't get enough of a cant to draw well/without contorting somewhat - however, this can vary, depending on your particular build and anatomy.

Can't go wrong with a High Noon if it's not right let them know they'll make it right. I have their bare asset holsters for all my edcs and love it for the quick on/off of when I just need to go to the store. It also works great for my LCR which I use as my bug or primary constantly. Good luck!

Have you looked at Garrett Holsters? Specifically, the silent thunder holster? It is kydex on the outside and lined with a premium smooth leather on the inside. The result? A smooth buttery draw while maintaining a thin profile. Also, it is adjustable for cant and ride height and the clips are interchangeable as well.

My preferred method of carry is AIWB as well.

standard model

and the silent thunder slim

Thanks for the insight, I will look into the garrets. Not sure I would like the Kydex next to the skin. One reason for the leather backing or leather in general. I would like this to function well in the summer (Missouri get very warm and humid) as well as function in the winter(but not as much) Might go with a OWB for that.

Of the holsters you list, I only have the M-TAC for my Kahr CW9. Given that proviso:

It's greatly adjustable for cant and height, which I found very useful as I experimented extensively with where to place it on my body.

You can get different styles of clips, and different COLORS (which might help the clips blend in with your belt if its not black).

It's reasonably comfortable.

It's tuckable, but tucking and blousing a shirt is kind of a pain. Would probably get a lot easier with practice.

The clips tend to rotate a bit rather than staying at the angle I put them.

I also have a Garret Silent Thunder OWB holster with the paddle mount (for my CW9) which I like very much. Haven't tried the IWB models.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Well, I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger on the Public Secret! I do have one question for you all. who prefers the Straps and who prefers the Clip. They both look like fine equipment, but what is the advantage other than speed to take it off. is there a durability issue with one or the other?

Another Garrett Silent Thunder fan here. I have one for a PM9 and a Glock G26.

As you requested, here's a pic of the PM9 in the MTAC. I don't have the MTAC anymore and the guy I gave it to passed it on as well. Just too much holster for such a small gun, IMO anyway.

I also like the Comp-Tac CTAC shown here with a Kahr K9. BTW, I believe the CW9 is the same size as the K9. And, I have carried the K9 AIWB in the CTAC and it works well, except the weight of the K9 is a bit much.

Love the ctac thanks alot. Showed the wife the high noon and minotaur just for grins and she said (the Minotaur with two clips would tranfer the weight better right?) I just had to smile but she might be right at least it wouldn't twist around on your belt. So umm not sure at this point think I might wait a few and see.

I agree with your wife about the weight transfer question. That's exactly why I carry the heavy K9 in the CTAC rather than a Silent Thunder. I think, for the CW9, the Silent Thunder would be ideal. And, you could adjust the cant and height for hip carry. PM on its way to you in a minute.

MTAC Neutral Cant with a Kahr P9. I didn't like it, because all the leather backing made it quite hot in the GA. heat. It was comfortable though. I am sure I would have liked the CTAC like Willieboy has for his K9. I now only use the Archangel from Dale Fricke for AIWB carry. I use it with Government and Commander 1911s and G17 and G26. I prefer a AIWB holster that allows a full combat grip, but does not tip out over the belt when worn. (The length of the holster has to be right to keep this from happening.) He makes several for the Kahrs now. Good luck.

GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Well finally broke down and ordered a MTAC Appendix Carry holster with a Wilderness 5 stitch belt. I think this would be the best for what I'm needing. feed back coming. Just ordered today(Sunday). Kinda excited. What do you all think?

How do you guys appendix carry with such a wide 2 clip holster in the front and not have the bottom of the holster/muzzle jab you in the thigh when you sit down?

Tmoore, that is a sweet looking rig. Wish I could pull that off but its just not comfortable for me.

right now I carry a Kahr CW9 so barrel length is pretty short, also carry a J Frame (not much anymore) and the barrel is short as well. they seem to fit fine at the 1 o'clock position and lay just to the left of your right leg seam. If that makes sense? My end of grip is just inside(to the left of) my hip bone. Really easy to hide as no one really looks down there or you aren't bumping into anyone as well. love appendix carry for the car or just sitting around.

Quote Originally Posted by TRUST8383 View Post
    How do you guys appendix carry with such a wide 2 clip holster in the front and not have the bottom of the holster/muzzle jab you in the thigh when you sit down?

Tmoore, that is a sweet looking rig. Wish I could pull that off but its just not comfortable for me.
    The longer the barrel the more you have to move the holster toward the centerline so it doesn't dig into the leg.

This is a picture of a G19 in a Dale Fricke Archangel. If I sit down, it will not dig into my leg. If the holster sat lower on the beltline, then it would dig into my leg and I would have to move the holster closer to the centerline (12:00) to work properly. Some of what makes AIWB carry work is body type, the other half is the right equipment.

G17 same holster

Dan Wesson CBOB in a Archangel

You don't have to carry small guns to appendix carry effectively.
    Last edited by tmoore912; June 6th, 2011 at 10:14 AM.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links