Sig229 holsters

This is a discussion on Sig229 holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings friends, I am joining a federal agency that issues the Sig 229R and was wondering if anyone on this forum carried one and which ...

Thread: Sig229 holsters

Sig229 holsters

Greetings friends,

I am joining a federal agency that issues the Sig 229R and was wondering if anyone on this forum carried one and which holster they used? Looking for something IWB or OWB depending on the situation with a double mag pouch. I will have to dress from law enforcement casual to suit and tie so various options would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

We carry owb in a Model 6365 ALS® Level III Retention Duty Holster w/ Drop UBL | Safariland™ level 3 retention by far not the best holster but it's what my job chose. It took a couple trips to the range and a few night of practice draws to get my draw speed to something I was comfortable with.
    There are several holsters in level 1,2 and 3 retention on the website for the gun. But make sure if your Sig has the rail system on it that the holster will fit it. My department made the mistake when we went from the older non-rail to the railed and several of the weapons got stuck and the holsters had to be taken apart to retrieve the weapon. Laugh like I did, only proved my point that issuing new holsters on the day we have to re-qualify was a bad idea. They held them for four months before they issued.
    Last edited by Cattus Vir; June 3rd, 2011 at 08:24 PM. Reason: additional information

Lead Moderator
    I was going to say start at the top of the page, we have some very good holster makers up there. But since it is a "work" holster you should probably check and see if your agency has an "approved" list before spending money and getting something you might not be able to use.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

SFC
    I carried I Sig P229 and used a Galco, but then again I live in Arizona where Galco is located.
    Life Member DAV, NRA Member AZR&PA, IDPA, USPSA

I ordered a Kramer MSP for my 229. The best for the best. From what I understand, that is as good as it gets, so long as a paddle holster is OK for the new job. They are a bit spendy, as the horsehide setup cost me 170 bucks. And two months. I cannot say for certain how it runs, as it is supposed to get here this week. But when it gets here, I'll let you know if you are interested. MSP stand for Michigan State Police. This is what they are issued. You might try for an Alessi of whatever model catches your eye. I have a Talon Plus model for my J-frame that I like so much I quickly ordered the same for my Beretta 85. I think that Brownells stocks Alessi holsters, although I am not sure if they have one for a SIG. That might be a good way to go, as you would get one of the best holsters made, but would not have to wait a couple of months to get it. Best of luck and well done on the new job.

I worked as an LEO for a Federal agency for 10 years. They will issue you a holster. They will probably be very strict as to what type of holster you will be allowed to use (thumb break, level III retention, etc).

I would wait and see what their policy is first.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I carry my P229 in a Galco Fletch High Ride belt holster. Works well.

I carry my 229 in a BlackHawk Check Six holster I do not even realize its there, super easy punch out drawing as well as it can be worn on the side or small of back and does not impinge on my dual mag pouch. Great quality leather.

Links