Holster for full size 1911

This is a discussion on Holster for full size 1911 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, Any suggestions for selecting a holster for concealed carry for a full size 1911? Have bought several and had to take them back.Either ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holster for full size 1911

Hey guys, Any suggestions for selecting a holster for concealed carry for a full size 1911?
    Have bought several and had to take them back.Either they did not ride well or
    stuck out to far. Kind of new at C/C especially with a large frame. Thanks for any advice.

Regards,
    Tom

What have you tried?

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

If you can't find it in here, you won't find it...HOLSTERS
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    You didn't specify if you carried IWB or OWB, but I'll assume OWB. One of the best holsters I've found for that purpose is Galco's Avenger. It well and holds the gun very close to the body. You might also consider Galco's Combat Master which works as well but is slightly bulkier.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

For OWB, I use an El Paso Saddlery Tortilla holster.

For IWB, I use a Comp-Tac Minotaur and it's very comfortable. Highly recommended if you're going to conceal a big gun like the 1911.
    - SNA -

"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have" -- Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    What have you tried?
    Knowing this would greatly help us give you suggestions.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Im a big fan of kholster, distributes weight well verry comfy and adjustable cant and ride height

Do you have a real, bona fide gun belt? The holster is only half of the equation.

Sent from my phone
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I use a Don Hume 721 OT for OWB and also attach clips to it (custom made) for IWB and really like it. The price is good too at under $45. I have a 1911 Commander for EDC.

sgb
    A quality holster on a cheap belt will not carry well
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Get a good purpose made belt, it makes a big difference.

I have used the UBG Canute, and High Noon Skin guard, both with good results, depending on if I want IWB or OWB.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

What's your budget? Type ? Ie. Kydex ,leather or a hybrid? IWB or OWB? Crossdraw or strong siide?

need more info

Gun Belts by The Belt Man for great fun belts. You need both to do this comfortably and safely.

VIP Member
    Start with a good gun belt - I get mine from A & G, a site sponsor. Then I would go with either a Kholster or a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro. They both offer lots of adjustability. The Kholster is a value priced option and is IWB only. The Black Ops Pro is expensive, but you get what you pay for. It is also either IWB or OWB, it's convertible. FWIW, I am 6'4" and about 330# & nothing hold the gun closer than the Black Ops Por in IWB mode.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

When I carry OWB, I use a Galco Avenger with a Galco belt. When I carry IWB I use a Galco Summer Special with the same belt that I use for OWB carry. Occasionally I will use a Wilderness Instructor's belt with the same holsters when I am wearing cargo style pants instead of Levis. As others have said, the belt is as important as the holster itself. Probably moreso.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I am carrying IWB with a Woolfe belt and holster. I have a Galco summer comfort and dislike it quite a bit, it doesn't distribute the weight enough to work well for me without sagging constantly.

If you are having trouble with the weight, the other guys have already said it; get a killer, thick heavy true gun belt. Then, my advice is to use a holster with a widely spaced set of loops to distribute the weight of the gun. That was what worked finally for me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links