Raven Concealment System - Wait or Find an Alternative?

This is a discussion on Raven Concealment System - Wait or Find an Alternative? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I have a RCS Phantom on order, but the wait is longer than expected. I was recently told that it will be upwards ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Raven Concealment System - Wait or Find an Alternative?

Hey guys, I have a RCS Phantom on order, but the wait is longer than expected. I was recently told that it will be upwards of 5 months, and thats pushing my limit of patience! I'm curious if you guys think that it would be worth the wait or if there are any equal or better alternatives. Weapon is a M&P 9mm compact. Kydex or leather is acceptable. Must be able to switch from IWB to OWB - I really like the idea of training with only one holster and having the same draw whether I'm carrying IWB or OWB. Less variables = more confidence (at least for me).

Thanks in advance!
    J

If you a DIY kind of guy, you could give some home brew Kydex stuff a shot, it's remarkably easy looking to cheaply come up with nice looking gear. I'm personally about to order up some Kydex and try it out!

That being said, I don't know of any other modular holster system that you can simply swap IWB for OWB like the Raven.

What kind of tools / equipment do you need to make a kydex rig?

Whether you intend to get another holster, make one, or whatever else, I don't think you should cancel your Raven order. It's a very desirable item, well made, with a well developed and nicely manufactured line of interchangeable belt attachment accessories... and the wait list isn't going to get any shorter, anytime soon.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

VIP Member
    I waited several months for my Raven and it was worth everyday. Granted I am over here and did not need it right at that moment to carry my weapon but I would have waited anyways.

This is my SA TRP and extra mags one of my daily carry setups
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I have this rig which carries the spare mags for my primary up front and my BUG behind them worn on my weak side. It was well worth the wait.

I have another holster on order now. I'm about 1/2 way through the projected time frame. I know the wait can be hard, but I just try and forget about it and when it comes I'm presently surprised.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by OperatorJ View Post
    What kind of tools / equipment do you need to make a kydex rig?
    With a toaster oven, about $30-50 in random tools (most of which I already had, stuff like tin snips, a Dremel motor tool, a hammer and some scrap pieces of plywood) you can make a holster almost identical to a Raven, but it may take you a couple tries before you perfect it.

Here is a link to a video series that shows some of the basics, though I personally don't ascribe to the design he is employing. I intend to make my holster ride a lot higher, have actual belt loops instead of just a fold-over, and be wider and more stable.

How to Make a Kydex Gun Holster [Video] | Gun Holsters Blog

JD
    Administrator
    If you're not going with a weapon mounted light, check out Cane and Derby , top notch stuff in about 3 weeks or less.

As an alternative to waiting for 5 months, take a look at the Garrett Industries Silent Thunder. It's a leather lined Kydex shell IWB holster that is very comfortable, concealable and the leather lining protects you guns finish. Look at the links in my signature line for the sales page and the pics. Also, if you hurry, you can get the 20% off coupon sale that ends 6/8. That makes the $85 holster $68 and you wont have to wait long to get it.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Another vote for Silent Thunder (or any GI Holster), great guy and a great holster.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    If you're not going with a weapon mounted light, check out Cane and Derby , top notch stuff in about 3 weeks or less.
    +1 on Cane & Derby.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

There's never a wait for the crappy stuff.
    BigFish likes this.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Crossbreed's are readily available at Midway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa Nick View Post
    There's never a wait for the crappy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by OperatorJ View Post
    Hey guys, I have a RCS Phantom on order, but the wait is longer than expected. I was recently told that it will be upwards of 5 months, and thats pushing my limit of patience! I'm curious if you guys think that it would be worth the wait or if there are any equal or better alternatives. Weapon is a M&P 9mm compact. Kydex or leather is acceptable. Must be able to switch from IWB to OWB - I really like the idea of training with only one holster and having the same draw whether I'm carrying IWB or OWB. Less variables = more confidence (at least for me).

Thanks in advance!
    J
    IMO No holster is worth a ridiculous wait time, justified wait for a small shop during busy season....sure. 5 Months? no friggin way!

Quote Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
    +1 on Cane & Derby.
    What he said.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links