Help a newbie trying to decide how to best concealed carry?

This is a discussion on Help a newbie trying to decide how to best concealed carry? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hubby just got me a Polymer Taurus Judge Public Defender I would like to carry. I already got my license and I have a holster ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help a newbie trying to decide how to best concealed carry?

Hubby just got me a Polymer Taurus Judge Public Defender I would like to carry. I already got my license and I have a holster on the way. That was a challenge in itself since holsters made for the Polymer Public Defender are difficult to come by.

I'm open to carrying methods, but I'm not sure what my options are. I lead a fairly active lifestyle and have 3 small kids (ages 11 months, 3 and 6) so I need something secure that allows me to move and play on playground equipment if the occasion arises.

I have a sourdough pancake holster on the way from Simply Rugged and I opted for the inside the waistband straps so I can carry OWB or IWB. So, how do the ladies carry? What are the best clothing options to conceal your firearm?

I don't have any answers for you but welcome to the forum! I hope you always have that Public Defender handy but never need to use it.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    I leave it to the wonderful ladies of DC to best address your question, but also wanted to extend a warm welcome to you.

Welcome to the forum. I am sure the ladies here on the forum will have many ideas for you.

My only concern with the Sourdough (I have one and love it for a S&W 686) is that it has no retention strap that would help to secure the weapon in the holster during the playground activities.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Thanks for all the warm welcomes

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Welcome to the forum. I am sure the ladies here on the forum will have many ideas for you.

My only concern with the Sourdough (I have one and love it for a S&W 686) is that it has no retention strap that would help to secure the weapon in the holster during the playground activities.
    I had the same concern and noticed he offers an optional hammer strap, so I ordered it too

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Have you looked at the SmartCarry?

Oh wait, you want to carry a Judge!? Oof... never mind. :)

VIP Member
    Welcome, and thanks for joining. Now you're Judge Merry. May you never have to pronounce sentence.

Many of my active gal students like a belly band for their light weight 357 snubbies. You're embarking on a journey of discovery that may take lots of trials and patience. Keep in mind "you're worth it." Please search the forum for input from our great ladies' other posts, if you don't hear from them right away.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Have you looked at the SmartCarry?

Oh wait, you want to carry a Judge!? Oof... never mind. :)
    I really like the self-defense rounds for the Judge and it's what inspired me to concealed carry but I'm thinking I'll end up with something smaller in the not-so-distant future.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MerryMama View Post
    Thanks for all the warm welcomes

I had the same concern and noticed he offers an optional hammer strap, so I ordered it too
    Great minds think in the same direction. LOL

A good quality 2 ply gunbelt is a must for a nice fit and a heavy sidearm. I have a Cross Breed but there are many others out there.

OC spray is another tool for you to consider.
    photo.jpg
    click to enlarge

Stay Safe.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

your first mistake is choice of an EDC, while your gun may be a fine weapon it really isn't well suited for concealed carry. I noted that you mentioned getting a smaller weapon, I agree! get something more appropriate.

are you aware of http://www.corneredcat.com/ it is a female orientated gun site, check it out

That's on the larger end of guns to conceal. I'm thinking vertical carry in a shoulder holster with a light jacket or blazer to cover?

If you have a quality belt to go with your Sourdough holster you can put an oversized untucked light weight shirt/jacket on and cover your weapon. Try 3-4 O'Clock carry strong side.That firearm you have will get the attention of anyone who is looking down the barrel of it and if you need to use it it will definately take care of business if you place the rounds on the target.

I'm waiting on my Sourdough pancake holster to get here since it's a made-to-order holster and may take several weeks to arrive. During the wait, I'm shopping around for a nice belt. I would love to try a shoulder holster carry but I don't think I could pull off even a light jacket here in Bama where we've already had triple digit heat this summer .

I also have an ankle holster and belly band in the works. Being a seamstress has it's benefits - I can make all of the custom holsters my heart desires And my heart desires many holsters

VIP Member
    Welcome! If you fired it on the range and you're comfortable it, then all is well.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Welcome to the forum.
    The wife just got a nice concealed carry purse (her license is on the way) and hasn't made up her mind on what to get for body carry.
    The purse is made by "Roma" and I gotta admit, it's slick in how good it works. She will carry a SP101 .357. She's talking about getting a fanny pack holster.
    Seems, for a woman, finding what works is a process and not just "buy a holster and forget it."

Keep us updated.

Again, welcome.
    Yeah, My old CCW 9 MM is nicknamed "Barkey"
    New CCW LCP is "Elsie"
    and my 12 Ga S x S Coach gun is "Boomer"
    Wife's weapon is "Miss Pearl" (SP101 .357 w/mother of pearl inserts)
    We're old so we can get away with that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links