Theis Holster - Another Hybrid that works!

This is a discussion on Theis Holster - Another Hybrid that works! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know there have been a number of these review floating around so I figured why not one more. The whole review is on my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Theis Holster - Another Hybrid that works!

I know there have been a number of these review floating around so I figured why not one more. The whole review is on my blog at Hidden Defense: Theis Holsters - Another Hybrid That Works!. I do more of a comparison with Crossbreed's SuperTuck since it is so similar and many folks will dismiss it as an inferior clone. Also I took the more uncommon route of getting it with the J-clips instead of the metal or standard kydex ones.

Theis Holsters is a relatively new company started by Tommy Theis who started making his holsters a couple years ago. He started simply selling through forums and has now made a pretty good name for himself through word of mouth. He fills a niche offering a holster very similar to Crossbreed's SuperTuck at a lower price point. He even gives customers an opportunity to get them at an even lower price by offering them with slightly blemished leather. They are still 100% functional, but the leather may have a scuff here or there. I opted for a blemished one to try them out for my Glock 36 which has become my EDC (everyday carry) gun.

Now about the holster itself. The Theis holster is pretty much an exact copy of a Crossbreed SuperTuck in terms of materials & overall design, but with a couple key differences. It's still uses a large piece of leather as the backing which provides comfortable carry IWB and a piece of kydex formed specifically for your gun attached to the leather with rivets. The choice of metal or kydex clips (over the belt or J-clips) is yours and they are adjustable with removable fasteners. It can be worn IWB and visible or IWB hidden under a tucked shirt.

The differences which may seem slight are still significant when it comes to overall functionality. First the kydex completely covers the slide. This helps protect your pants from excessive muzzle rub which I outlined in my long term review of the SuperTuck. The next difference is that it comes from Tommy with the "combat" cut already done. This allows for an easier grip of the gun when drawing. The SuperTuck does not do this standard, but will do it on request for a fee. When I got my first SuperTuck I had to perform this leather surgery myself which isn't hard to do, but it's nice to see Tommy do this right off the bat for his customers. The kydex is also trimmed more to help with the draw. The kydex is also formed tighter than the SuperTuck which locks the gun in. I can put the gun in it and turn it upside down without it coming out. I never could have done that with the SuperTuck though the P239's a little heavier than my Glock 36. I hope this helps minimize the slide wear I had previously. Like I said before these differences don't seem like much, but they are an improvement to the original Crossbreed design.

In conclusion, I've very happy with this holster and think that this hybrid design is the best for everyday comfortable concealment. It is such a simple if not pretty solution that I'm not surprised that others have copied Crossbreed. I've seen Kholster's copy before and a few others on ebay so it's definitely proven to work. With a Theis Holster for about $40 you get a comfortable & concealable holster with a lifetime guarantee & a two week trial period. If you're like me and have tried many other holster designs you know that you usually only need two hours or less to determine if you'll actually use a given holster. Inside the waistband isn't for everyone, but where all other IWB designs may not work the hybrid design is one that just might do it for you. Give it a try!
    snakyjake likes this.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

I have to agree 100%! I have one of Tommy's holsters for my Glock 23 and I love it. I use it all the time, and that is really saying something because I have never been a fan of IWB carry. But this holster makes it very comfortable and easy to do. I like mine and I do plan on ordering a few for other guns that I carry from time to time.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Tommy was the only maker that could and WOULD make a holster for my Smith 1076. Got it in 6 days. Quality and CS first rate. Thanks Tommy
    Last edited by swinokur; June 10th, 2011 at 12:47 PM.

+1 for Tommy Theis. I first got wind of his product, quality and customer service on June 3, 2011 and promptly sent him an email if he could make a holster for my odd duck, Taurus PT22. Have been looking for a hybrid leather/kydex IWB holster (ala SuperTuck) since day one owning this handgun. He got right back to me and let me know that a friend of his has a PT22 that he could use to form the kydex and could make the holster right away. I placed my order and, viola, the holster arrived today, June 10! I ordered mine in horsehide (a little higher price than noted above) as I will carry this gun on hotter, more humid days only, normally carry a G19 or J frame. I own a Supertuck for my G19 and have been happy with it. The one complaint I have with the Supertuck is the emblem on the metal clips. I feel this is a dead giveaway that I am carrying. Tommy uses a plain metal clip, no emblems to give it away. The retention of the gun in the holster is just the way I like it. It is in there quite securely, takes a little effort to come out, the typical kydex click on draw. With this level of retention, I don't worry about the gun falling out, should I get into an odd position, which I have been known to do quite often, or while running. The holster is quite comfortable. I will wear it everyday for the next couple weeks to see how it breaks-in, but I anticipate nothing but a better feel/fit with wear!

I can't recommend Tommy highly enough. Talk about a fast custom holster! A mold for my handgun was not available, but he got me a holster in my hands in one week from order placement! His communication has been fantastic. If he had a question, he got with me right away. When I placed my order, I forgot to mention that I wanted the belt slots cut into the leather for OWB wear. Shot him an email and he got back with me promptly that he received my message and the slots would be put in.

I am very grateful I found Tommy, only wish I would have found him sooner. Should you be in the market for a Crossbreed Supertuck for a Glock 19, drop me a private message, I be glad to sell you mine so I can replace it with a holster by Mr. Tommy Theis!

I'm ordering a holster for a Glock 19 soon.

I have been emailing back and forth with Tommy on the details for the past few days.

He is VERY prompt to respond and even offers that you call him personally to discuss any custom type design and/or fit you would like.

I emailed Crossbreed a few days ago asking if they could do some customizing for me. About a day and a half later I got the reply that they will not customize their design.

Nothing against Crossbreed, they have a proven design and I'm fine with that, I'm also fine with ordering from Tommy Theis for a custom design that fits my needs.

eXo
    =EXO_Glock-19_Gen.3=

I have EIGHT holsters made by my good buddy Tommy Theis!

Just spoke with him yesterday, he's made 250 new holsters in the last month, and STILL delivers in near-record time. Customer service is his #1 priority.

After reading this thread, I just ordered a Tommy Theis IWB for my Springfield XD SC9. Thank you for the review and all the comments. So far his customer service has been nothing short of fantastic.

I've been wearing his holster almost daily since I got it and I know you'll be happy with your purchase!
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

Another Happy Theis customer!
    +1 on their quality and his fast service.

Lateck,
    Proud Ruger & SIG owner, in the Free State of Arizona

Prices have to go up!

After stumbling on to Theis Holsters I read all the reviews and had to give'm a shot. I went one futher and ordered three holsters.
    All horse hide. one for my G30, One for my 30's extra mag, and one for a mag for my G26. I have a Crossbreed Holster for my
    G26. Theis Holster is Best Bang for your Buck period. The day I recieved the holster for my G30 was the day It became married to my body. I don't notice much of a difference in comfort as far as combat cut(Theis) and the standard Crossbreed design. I can say with no doubt what so ever that the drawing of you weapon is much easier with the standard combat cut of Theis's Holsters. Tommy's holsters are top notch and his service fantastic as well. I ordered my holsters late one evening and had them all delivered in 5 days. I ordered my Crossbreed the a week before sending off my application for my CCL. I atually recieved my CCL two weeks before my holster which took over 6 weeks arrive. Crossbreed did warn me it would take forever and their holsters are as good, but pricing is extremely high. I paid $95.00 for My Crossbreed. While Tommy slaved away for $50.00. Tommy is my guy he will be seeing more orders from me as I purchase more conceal and carry weapons.

Its 1:30 a.m. here and I have my G30 at the 5 o'clock position and my extra mag in the small of my back, I've been wearing them all day and will continue to till I'm laid to rest.

What are you waiting for? Pick one up!

Sponsor
    Thanks for all the kind words guys.
    satisfied customers are the BEST advertisment!

I just got a custom-made Theis holster for my Taurus 617. I have to say that I whole-heartedly agree with all of the sentiments expressed here. The quality of the product is better than all my other holsters (that now live in the drawer) and his customer service is second to none. Kudos to Tommy for old-time CS & quality!
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

Just placed orders with Tommy for my fourth, fifth and sixth holsters from him. Whenever I wear a handgun on the belt, you know it is in a Tommy Theis holster. All are in the horse hide and once the initial squeaking goes away, you barely know you have it on. (by the way, baby powder does eliminate the temporary squeak!) I'm going to have to work with Tommy to make me a custom holster for use in my car. As I drive a LOT for my job, I prefer to carry crossdraw attached to the seatbelt as handguns are prohibited in most of my customer establishments. Now if I could only get a Theis crossdraw, I'd really be set! Thank you for your help, Tommy.

I've thought about that as well! For me, if Tommy made an OWB holster, I'd snap one up for darn near every gun I own in record time. I love his IWB holsters but down deep I am an OWB guy. And still, I'd say about 80% of the time you will find me carrying my G23 or the CW9 in a Theis IWB holster....
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I love Tommy's holsters. I have eight of them for my carry guns. Here is the last one I got from him for my H&K P7.
    Attached Images
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links