Am I the only person in the world that has this problem with Kydex holsters? (pics) - Page 2

Am I the only person in the world that has this problem with Kydex holsters? (pics)

This is a discussion on Am I the only person in the world that has this problem with Kydex holsters? (pics) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been very happy with my Pardus rig from Cane & Derby . Just ordered another rig from them with 5 degrees of cant, all ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Am I the only person in the world that has this problem with Kydex holsters? (pics)

JD
    Administrator
    I've been very happy with my Pardus rig from Cane & Derby. Just ordered another rig from them with 5 degrees of cant, all ready have a straight drop. They'll even give you 10% off per holster for any kydex you trade in for "recycling" These rigs wear very close to the body. If you want, when my next rig comes in, I can send you this one to try on and see if it wears better.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    Your problem is what we call "skinny", eat a few more cheeseburgers, and the love handles will press against the gun butt, tucking the muzzle in nicely.
    LOL! I workin' to hard at getting rid of cheeseburgers I'm wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    So are you just messing with us, or do we get to see the second photo?!?!?

I am always looking for the holy grail of holsters, tight to body, low profile, not too high, not too low, blah blah blah. Where is that Blade Tech M&P.
    That's it! That's the very one I'm looking for!

Sorry, here's the M&P. For some reason this pic didn't focus cleanly. As a matter of fact several others didn't either. I hope my camera isn't messing up:

Blade-tech M&P by ron.0000, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    Are we talking only of OWB holsters?

If this is the case, I'd recommend the Blackhawk CQC Serpa holsters. I've never had the issue you seem to be having.

Sure, it tilts slightly, but it all depends on the angle of the belt!

FWIW, all of my holsters are Kydex or leather/Kydex hybrids.
    Yeah, OWB. Interesting you bring up the Serpa - I don't have that problem with a Serpa. Seems like the Serpa doesn't hold the gun in quite tight enough - have you noticed that with yours?
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I've been very happy with my Pardus rig from Cane & Derby. Just ordered another rig from them with 5 degrees of cant, all ready have a straight drop. They'll even give you 10% off per holster for any kydex you trade in for "recycling" These rigs wear very close to the body. If you want, when my next rig comes in, I can send you this one to try on and see if it wears better.
    Wow thanks JD, that'd be great! I'll pay for postage both ways. What gun will it be for?

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Once I started wearing Dale Fricke Kydex holsters, I dropped leather holsters immediately and forever.

Tangle,

I have three Comp-Tac paddle holsters. One for an XD9, a BHP and a Kahr CW9. The XD9 is a no cant straight up and down. The last two for the BHP and CW9 are 15 degree
    FBI slant forward. They do not push the barrel away from the body. The no cant XD9 holster does exactly what your photo shows. Also I requested the Comp-Tac folks to shape the FBI cant holsters to be carry holsters. So the gap between the paddle and body of the holster is much less than their normal paddle holster. I hope this helps! Let me add that none of my paddle holsters will carry in the summer with a t-shirt without printing. So I use a pancake or a CTAC for summer carry.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Senior Moderator
    Hmmm, RKirk, that's interesting. It seems cant makes a difference.

I have a Serpa for my j-frame and it holds it plenty tight. Went with it when I thought I was going to be doing bounty hunter work and wanted one that retained the gun very well. Had a Fobus first but it held the dang gun so well even I couldn't draw it unless the angel was perfect. Never, ever own another one.

I have issues with the type of Kydex holsters you are using too; Serpa, Fobus, Blade Tek, etc. It's the offset that the manufacturers use in the design of that type of holster. If you want a Kydex holster for concealed carry try Raven Concealment, Personal Security Solutions, or Dale Fricke Holsters; they design more for concealment and both Raven and PSS can be switched from IWB to OWB by just changing the clips.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Hmmm, RKirk, that's interesting. It seems cant makes a difference.
    In my experience, cant makes a BIG difference. My K-25 Multi-Role Concealment Holster cants the pistol at approximately 25 degrees. This alone goes a long way toward concealment of a full size pistol, but there are other features that contribute heavily, toward concealment, comfort, and general utility. This holster is convertible by the user from IWB mode to OWB mode, via alternate belt loops, which the user can swap out with a phillips head screwdriver.

K-25 for M&P 9 Full Size, in IWB mode:

K-25 for HK P30, in OWB mode:
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Here's two Blade-Tech holsters.

The first is the new paddle design. What we're looking at here is the slant of the holster. It slants such that the muzzle end is away from the body - and it's not just a little slant:

Blade-tech new paddle design by ron.0000, on Flickr

The next is a Blade-Tech M&P belt holster - same thing:

Blade-tech new paddle design by ron.0000, on Flickr

I took a pic of a Comp Tac paddle and it does the very same.

Anybody else have this problem?
    I have a Blade-Tech holster, but have the "Eclipse" model.

Eclipse Holster :: OWB Belt Holsters :: Blade-Tech Industries

It is an OWB holster, but fits on your belt, not a paddle holster (I like belt holsters as they are more secure).

Your holster looks more like a "duty holster" that keeps the holster and firearm away from body... where as the Eclipse model I purchaed (link above) is designed is a high-ride, close to the body pancake holster (which I love).

One think that I learned and Blade-Tech exchanged it for me after my first holster came to me, is that you (or at least I do) want to ask for (you have to call instead of order on line) is ask for a "closed end"... which it isn't, but the holster will sort of come over the front the barrel and protect the tip of the barrel against damage when sitting down... otherwise the holster ends even with the front of the barrel which I do NOT like.

I ordered mine with 1-3/4" belt loops and they work great with standard 1-1/2" belts.. makes getting it on and off easier and it is less wear on the belt... but when "belted on"... your holster will not move.

The Eclipse protects the gun well, does not have extra material like other holsters and the edges are rounded smooth... it is nice polymer holster.

If your holster is new, call Blade-Tech and order the Eclipse model (ask for "closed end" and 1-3/4" belt loops).

I think you will be 100% happy and I found Blade-Tech quick and easy to work with.

Good luck,
    Springfield XDM 40cal
    Safariland Double Magazine Duty Pouch
    High Noon "Slide Guard" Holster - Leather (OWB)
    BladeTech "Eclipse" Holster - Kydex (OWB)
    Aker Reinforced Gun Belt (Leather & Polymer)
    Wilderness Tactical/Operator Belt (Kydex Reinforced)

I have two of the Bladetech paddle holsters. They were fairly expensive (over $60 bucks) and do the same thing your model does. I think it's designed to do that. I like the holster, but I hate how it pushes the muzzle away. I thought about putting some washers between the top screws to push the top further out. I guess I could also purchase the belt attachment, but I'm afraid it would do the same thing. I would have just bought Serpas, but Blackhawk doesn't make them for CZ-75 and FNP-45. I've gotten used to the Bladetech and it seems much better with the gun holstered. As you can see from the pics, the Serpa doesn't ride the same way the Bladetech does.

EDIT: I also tried an iTac roto paddle holster for my XD. I didn't like that holster either. It felt like the gun was too far away from my body and pushed the grip away. Quite the opposite of the Bladetech. I've got a leather holster for my 1911 Officer that I like, but I just like the secure feeling of paddle holsters. They don't budge at all.

Never seen that problem before, I use Blackhawk! Serpa I typically don't use the paddle but put it on for this, sits perfect with no gun. The other post of a Bladetech above mine looks like they have a bad paddle design. It must not try to "cling" to itself like the Blackhawks do.
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    Your problem is what we call "skinny", eat a few more cheeseburgers, and the love handles will press against the gun butt, tucking the muzzle in nicely.
    I can attest that it works like a charm!

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    leather with snap/strap retention for carry at 3:30 IWB generally gives maximum concealment. OWB needs for you to be even a bit more careful with your cover garment.

plastic is for competition. seldom, as you have showed us, does it carry close . and a hairdryer will fix it but I'm loath to re-melt what was hot formed once already.
    I'm sure others can make the case that the klydex don't know the difference but each one i have 'adjusted' later failed in that location.
    granted that was years ago and technology changes.

good--lifetime good, leather may run $120ish. try b4 you buy. some times buying local means paying a little extra but the benifit of being able to try it on
    is more than worth the return shipping. even if they pay, its your time times 2, or 3...
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    ...plastic is for competition. seldom, as you have showed us, does it carry close...
    I must differ, vehemently. What he has "showed us" is a holster design that isn't at all suited for concealed carry. It hangs the sidearm way off your side, like a cordless power drill. Even with a pretty large pistol, like the FNP-45, a Kydex holster can be carried quite discreetly, and comfortably. It's just a matter of using the proper design and construction for the application. As an example, here's a look at one of my K-25 holsters, for FNP-45:

This holster is designed to conceal a full size pistol (or smaller pistol) behind the hip. It cants the pistol at 25 degrees, to diminish the protrusion of longer grip frames. The position of the trailing edge belt loops pulls the grip in snug enough against the body for concealment, without impeding the user's acquisition of a full firing grip.

This look at the back of the holster shows the curved side flanges, which allow the holster to hug your waist. The soft synthetic OWB loops flatten out against you, when you fasten your belt, rather than standing the holster off from your body, like hard loops can. When this holster is worn in IWB mode, the holster body itself is very much like a paddle, and is quite comfortable.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links