Yet another dilimma...

Yet another dilimma...

This is a discussion on Yet another dilimma... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Most of you that's read my posts know I'm a n00b to carrying in the civilian world. My choice of firearm is the Sig P220 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yet another dilimma...

Most of you that's read my posts know I'm a n00b to carrying in the civilian world.

My choice of firearm is the Sig P220 Carry.

My body type can be likened to an upside-down lightbulb LOL. Yes, I'm fat. Due to this, no matter what belt I get my pants slide down to below my gut. I have a Don Hume IWB holster for it now. I'd prefer to keep carrying concealed vs. OC, but due to my physical limitations, I'm falling into one ofr more of these...

* So fat that no matter where I carry, my gut is either pushing the thing down or out, causing printing.
    * Stuck with only being able to carry ~1P-3/330P positions due to lack of shoulder movement (both sides, i'm right handed).
    * Love AIWB, but the size of this firearm and my current holster isn't very cooperative to this. About the only time it's remotely comfy is when I carry in a Blackhawk (soft) holster...but the clip isn't that great and even when unloaded draw-testing, I've brought the sleeve up with me.

I've seen recommendations for Supertuck, MTAC, etc...but most of these are designed for 330-5 positions....my shoulder/rotators just aren't having that.

So help me obi-wan-forumers....you're my only hope!

I'm not opposed to OC, just don't prefer it.
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

okay, so how fat are you? i'm fat too..shoulder holster is a good option if you're wearing jacket all day. i'm using an IWB during the summer, OWB (depending on the day's garment options) fall/winter/spring otherwise.

bottom line: depending one how you move (lifting, sitting, reaching, standing around like a doofus, whatever) you'll have to experiment. DON"T just stand in front of a mirror, unless that's what you do for a living. carrying a loaded gun in public is a challenge getting accustomed to, but it does get easier over time.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Make sure you have a good belt - that helps tremendously, and in many cases, can be the one thing that solves all problems.

But at the same time, you might need to entertain the thought of suspenders.....

Regardless, I really think that you've just got to give things a try, until you find what works for you.

I actually use both my MTAC and my Supertuck at the 3-o'clock (my preferred position as my car seat is decently bolstered, and I drive stick: making things rather uncomfortable if I carry further back). And despite really liking AIWB (because the way I'm built and with my usual clothing, I can easily conceal a full-sized pistol there), I can't really do that position due to my Buddah-gut - both for driving as well as just how much I tend to sit, during the course of the average day.

Ghost I am a fatty as well. The crossbreed supertuck ( Crossbreed Holsters > Home ) worked well for me with a tactical belt ( Easy-Fit Original Instructor Belt - NEW OPTIONS!) in easy fit with the CSM poly-lining worked great for me. I am waiting on an MTAC now due to the demise of the crossbreed. The grip height can be adjusted and the cant making for and easier draw for us "short armed" people . I had the same problems until I found that combo and it worked well for me. It would be nice if someone close to you had one for you to try on and play with the adjustments.

I'm on the heavy side, too...I have no problem carrying at 4:30 in a Fist #1A/IWB...just have to find that spot.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I would suggest an OWB holster. It is more comfortable and it is easier to carry. Just make sure you use a good belt.

Hey I am right there with you. I wear a 46 to 48 waist. Until i got a good belt i had the same problem. I got the wilderness tactical 1.5 inch wide. Makes all the diff with my crossbreed supertuck and when i carry owb.

VIP Member
    A good gun belt and a good holster will conceal the gun, but I hear you, you gotta keep that sucker from hitting the floor. Perry suspenders do the trick well. I get mine at Wal-Mart for less than $8. I am 6'5" & 330# with a 50" waist, but I find that this conceals the weapon well (unless bending way over where you would expect to print) and keeps the pants where they belong. My preferences are:
    - Belt - A&G - site sponsor
    - Holster - Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro (IWB or OWB) or for a more value option Kholster (IWB only)
    - Perry Suspenders.

I am wearing all the above (except the Kholster) in this video. You can see the suspenders at about the 1:50 mark when I am showing the gun. The only time I am not wearing the suspenders is in the tucked in shots. This video was shot for another thread, but it applies here as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoAaAneh-8I

ETA: The Perry suspenders clip to your belt. You don't have to remove your shirt to use the facilities, simply unclip the suspenders from your belt then reattach them when you are done.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I've got a SIG-220 Carry Elite Stainless that I carry in a Galco Concealable OWB Holster with the Galco belt at 3:00. That particular combination is comfortable to wear and pulls the gun in tight against your body so that a cover shirt will conceal it. It's a pretty heavy gun, but the belt and holster combination support it well.

Pardon my ignorance....but doesn't the OWB holsters make concealing even more difficult and nearly OC?

@Ret...unfortunately for me... 430 is out. I tried it this morning just to make sure, and it's still almost impossible to reach. My arms are long enough, just my shoulders don't cooperate.

Guess I'll give another IWB more consideration. Which Blk Ops holster is that? I saw that they have with & without cant, etc.

I may just have to do some wardrobe overhaul too. I was able to decently conceal with a shirt that was too short today @ the 3:00 position....just due to lack of can't it was digging into my hip joint big time.
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

VIP Member
    I am using the Black Ops Pro. It has 3 holes on each side and 3 holes on each strap. Therefore, you can adjust the can't and ride height to a pretty large degree.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostRed7 View Post
    Pardon my ignorance....but doesn't the OWB holsters make concealing even more difficult and nearly OC?
    Yes and no -

Yes in the ultimate sense.

But no, when you consider the build considerations of the good OWB holsters: they will ride tight, and literally pull the firearm against the body, allowing for excellent concealment even with just a T-shirt overtop.

Guess I'll give the MTAC more consideration.
    Remember that while many of the hybrids may be very comfortable, they can also present their own issues to those of us with more girth - a gentleman at a recent holster-techniques class I attended shared with us his concern: that his MTAC's leather backing/sweat-shield would, because of his love-handle, roll over to cover his holster's opening...at which point I turned to him and gave him my nod of sympathy, as I see, sorta, the same (not as severe as his, but similar) thing happening to me.

There's a little bit of trial-and-error involved, unfortunately, not every holster will fit everyone perfectly - it may fit one person's carry style/placement better than another, at the same very spot, albeit on a different body.

Does the sweat-shield on my Black Ops Pro (yes, I'm another Pure Kustom user, and a happy one at that ) bend over a little? Yes, it does, but not nearly as much - despite the fact I wear in the same place.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    I am using the Black Ops Pro. It has 3 holes on each side and 3 holes on each strap. Therefore, you can adjust the can't and ride height to a pretty large degree.
    I'll probably go this route next. After seeing your vid...we're pretty close in size/shape. I'm just going to have to save up for a long time seeing how they're $185 after shipping.

I also have a large amt of leather @ the house...I may actually start playing around with making my own. In my "temporary carry" thread, there's a recommendation for creating my own based on it (formerly) having a rail laser (may go Crimson Trace later...TBD) and also having a link for supplies of clips and the like.

VIP Member
    I'm a big guy and I carry my P220R Carry like this: DSCF2075.jpg Milt Sparks Versa Max II.

I can conceal it under a large t-shirt!

Rocky at Pure Kustom can make you a holster that adjusts both the cant and the depth.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by GhostRed7 View Post
    I carry my 1911 commander in a Don Hume 721OT (OWB) and it is easy to conceal. The absolute MUST is a good quality gun belt. If you are worried about it tipping out and falling get a thumb break.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links