New permit and new holster

This is a discussion on New permit and new holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I received my CC permit a week ago saturday and my Crossbreed Supertuck arrived last saturday morning. I wore the holster and gun all weekend, ...

Thread: New permit and new holster

I received my CC permit a week ago saturday and my Crossbreed Supertuck arrived last saturday morning. I wore the holster and gun all weekend, except when at church. I was really impressed with how comfortable it was. I worked in the garden, planted the wifes flowers, drove 25 miles to a friends house, watched TV. I found myself checking it often, but since there was no one around most of the time that was okay. I was trying to wear it at 3;30 to 4:00, I wore a tee shirt untucked, but when I did tuck just to see what it looked liked, my wife said that it was very noticeable where my belt went over the holster. It may be that I just need to wear it enought to conform to my body, and maybe I'm just being selfconcious. I want to thank the guys on here that directed me to Crossbred, so far I am really happy with how comfortable it is.
    When I went to the friends house, they were not there, so the only times I wore it when people were around was last night for about an hour when my renter showed up, and today when my niece and her kids were here. really had to resist the urge to check it. Nearest Wal-mart is 60 miles away, but headed that direction this week so might try a walk through. Went to town today, but was headed to the Post Office among other places, and did not have time to check out if can carry there, so left it home for a few hours.
    BTW I amcarring a Colt govt. mocel 380. I don't know how you guys carry anything larger.

thanks for all the great advice I got on here.
    artho

Artho welcome to the board. I too enjoyed my crossbreed. I carry a subcompact SA with a good (IMO) belt. As for printing your wife knew where your gun was and it is hard, at first, to realize that people really do not pay that much attention.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ +1.

First, a welcome.

Like Cattus said, most people will not be that observant: as long as your gun's not showing or there's a neat imprint of what's clearly a gun bulging out of your shirt/pants, the vast, vast majority of people will not know. Nevertheless, it's always good to strive for "best practice," and what's more, such clips are often recognized by fellow CCWs/CHLs and/or law-enforcement...or even the less scrupulous elements of society.

If the clips really bother you, give their "J-clips" a try, particularly if you wear pants that are stout enough and ride well enough on your hips that you don't need to worry about the weight of the weapon dragging your pants down. The "J" clips use your pant waist to support the weight of the holster/firearm combo, while the "J" hooks onto the belt during your draw-stroke to prevent the holster from being extracted. With my CBST, this is usually how I wear it.

Alternatively, you can get creative - modify some of the "C-clips" of the Comp-Tac MTAC Minotaur to work with the CBST. The "C-clips," unlike their "J" counterpart, also grabs on to the top of the belt, and thus still use the belt as their weight-support/distribution mechanism.

Finally, I believe both companies offer clips with VELCRO on the outer surface - which allows you to mate it with the counterpart VELCRO on the inside of your belt. This is as close to getting the clip to disappear as you'll get (aside from having the clip actually be a loop of the same material that your belt is made out of - that works well, too), but will require either modification to the belt (stitching in a little VELCRO) or a specialized belt (many of the high-end belt makers, both leather and nylon, offers this option).

Congrats on the new permit and holster...may you soon hardly even notice the firearm on your side.
    Stay armed...Stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Congratulations! You will always feel it a little, but it's a comforting feeling. The Crossbreed is one of my favorites. After awhile, I have to guard against being too nonchalant about carry. The less you notice your gun, the more you need to notice your surroundings.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Smart move to leave the pistol at home when you went to the post office. The feds frown on carrying in the post office, or any other federal office building.

You ought to look at Handgunlaw.us to check up on some of the carry laws for Nebraska
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Thanks "high pockets" I will look into that. It has been over a year since I took the required class and need to brush up on the laws. for right now i'm just practicing around home. I will carry in the truck when on the road.

Congratulations!! You'll get used to it in no time.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

VIP Member
    Congratulations and welcome aboard!

I've found that you'd darn near have to yell "hey, look at my gun" before most people would even notice. Even then, more than half wouldn't know what you were talking about!

Relax, you're probably just fine.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Just an update, I was on the road for work and ended up near my brothers place, so I called him and made arrangements to stay at his house. I can't carry while working, but once I got near his house I stopped and put on my supertuck. By brother has his CC permit and is usulally very observent. I got to his house and we hung out for about an hour, then he and his wife and I went out for supper. after supper I told them I had got my permit, and was carrying, even after I told them they still could not pick it out. I guess I don't need to be so self-concious of it.

Links