Fobus Holsters - Page 2

Fobus Holsters

This is a discussion on Fobus Holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a roto-paddle break and spill my gun on the floor of a mall. Personally, I think they're crap. I've seen more than a ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fobus Holsters

JD
    Administrator
    I had a roto-paddle break and spill my gun on the floor of a mall. Personally, I think they're crap. I've seen more than a couple of the regular paddle holsters come up with the gun when drawn. Lots of threads on poor fit (which can be fixed with a hair dryer) but for a few dollars more you can get a Blackhawk CQC (Non serpa) and have a better holster.

VIP Member
    I used to use them when I OC'ed in the woods and on private property and never had a problem.

Somewhere along the line, I just got more used to IWB and now just carry that way out of habit.

I only had one and it was not usable due to poor fit. Never bought another.

I also like the positive way their paddle clicks and secures well under your belt. If you get one that may secure the gun a little too tight, lightly mist the inside with wd-40, wipe it out, and your gun will clear it like crap thru a tin horn.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I had a roto-paddle break and spill my gun on the floor of a mall. Personally, I think they're crap. I've seen more than a couple of the regular paddle holsters come up with the gun when drawn. Lots of threads on poor fit (which can be fixed with a hair dryer) but for a few dollars more you can get a Blackhawk CQC (Non serpa) and have a better holster.
    I have seen paddle holsters of different makes and models come out with the gun. From my observation it was due to the greenhorn using it not properly allowing the belt to lay in the locking track for the belt that is molded into the design.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I suppose I will be one of the exceptions in this discussion. I have several Fobus all paddle style (for Kimber 1911, Browning HP, Walther PPK, Walther P99 and an XD plus mag pouches) I love them all and use my 1911 as my EDC. They all fit well, draw well and ride well. The one thing I have noticed is slide wear on my Kimber, but thats also character. I also have a number of quality leather but seem to always digress back to the fobus ... if it works it works, and it does for me!
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

If you go with a Fobus, heres a hint: It will probably be extremely tight when you get it. Tight to the point where you can barely get your gun out. I have a few, and they were all like this.

Heat it up with a hair dryer for about 30 seconds. The rubber grommet thingy's in there will become more elastic. When the holster is hot (warm), pull the two halves of the holster apart gently. Try the gun. If its still too tight, rinse / repeat. After 2 or 3 tries you'll have a holster that is a perfect fit. They are good holster that are very inexpensive. Dont expect them to be of the same quality as more expensive holsters, but it does its job just fine. It wont "fall out if you bump into something". Obviously a decent belt is still a good idea. Dont expect it to be secure if you slap it on over a pair of gym shorts. If used properly, it holds the gun securely, rides at a good height and stays somewhat close to your body. It does NOT conceal very well though. A baggy shirt is a must if you want to hide it. Overall, worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    If you go with a Fobus, heres a hint: It will probably be extremely tight when you get it. Tight to the point where you can barely get your gun out. I have a few, and they were all like this.

Heat it up with a hair dryer for about 30 seconds. The rubber grommet thingy's in there will become more elastic. When the holster is hot (warm), pull the two halves of the holster apart gently. Try the gun. If its still too tight, rinse / repeat. After 2 or 3 tries you'll have a holster that is a perfect fit. They are good holster that are very inexpensive. Dont expect them to be of the same quality as more expensive holsters, but it does its job just fine. It wont "fall out if you bump into something". Obviously a decent belt is still a good idea. Dont expect it to be secure if you slap it on over a pair of gym shorts. If used properly, it holds the gun securely, rides at a good height and stays somewhat close to your body. It does NOT conceal very well though. A baggy shirt is a must if you want to hide it. Overall, worth the money.
    I've never seen a gun fall out of a fobus after a bump but I've seen a gun and PART of a fobus holster hit the ground after being bumped against a corner. The paddle stayed right where it belonged but the gun, still in the holster shell was on the ground.

Why not just spend the extra once and get a reliable holster? For range work they may be some what workable but after seeing first hand what their quality levels are I'd never consider one for daily carry.

Why not just spend the extra once and get a reliable holster?
    That's what ahhm sayin'.

I have one stuck back in a drawer I bought for my S&W j-frame. Problem I had was the angel of the draw had to be perfect to get it out. And sometimes it still wouldn't come out. Didn't have any adjustment screw to lighten the tension as some do. It got replaced with a Blackhawk Serpa. It's not a CCW holster but I wanted a holster at the time that had a good retention to it as I was likely to be in a scuffle. Can beat the Serpa for that.

VIP Member
    Fobus now uses a metal strip to secure the rivets from breaking off. A rubber insert inside the paddle now gives better vertical resistance against shifting. When properly positioned under the belt, the holster's ledges hold the paddle securely. The draw angle must be straight out, so drawing from awkward positions must be practiced. Avoid the roto models, because the gun is spaced out further. The roto can be adapted to a car mount, though. The standard paddle is inexpensive, easy to slip on and take off body, and protects the gun and trigger guard when setting the gun down within arms reach. While I generally use better IWB holsters, I have a Fobus paddle for most of my handguns. They make a good, cheap start to the holster inventory with their improved design. Before I learned how to do a windsor knot for my tie, I used a clip on, too.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    I've never seen a gun fall out of a fobus after a bump but I've seen a gun and PART of a fobus holster hit the ground after being bumped against a corner. The paddle stayed right where it belonged but the gun, still in the holster shell was on the ground.

Why not just spend the extra once and get a reliable holster? For range work they may be some what workable but after seeing first hand what their quality levels are I'd never consider one for daily carry.
    I cant speak for anyone elses experience. I've used Fobus holsters for years on several different guns with no problems at all. I would feel fine carrying a Fobus daily, but choose not to. I prefer an active retention for CC instead of passive. Also, it doesnt conceal well enough. I use them constantly at the range, and use one almost exclusively when im doing yard work. Lots of moving around, physical activity, and plenty of "bumps" and i've never had an issue. But like I said, you cant compare it to a higher priced holster. Then again, its not designed to compete with a $75 paddle.

I've used them around the house doing yard work ect. Not too bad & the gun never fell out.
    Though I don't CC with em ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I have several Fobus holsters for several of my guns. I use them for concealed carry and find them to be fine serviceable holsters. In fact, i had my Glock 23 in one when I wrecked my bicycle. Went over the handlebars and landed hard. It held the gun in the holster and protected it well.

I like them.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Until you happen to bump into something and your gun locked in that quality partial fobus concealed holster go skittering across the floor in front of you.
    Yea ok, what speed do I have to go to have it flying off? As much as that holster been bumped into things around my office, never have the holster went flying on the floor.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links