DM Bullard Bodyguard Holster Review:

This is a discussion on DM Bullard Bodyguard Holster Review: within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking for a new holster for my Colt Combat Elite. I have two IWB's built for the 1911, one from Cross Breed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: DM Bullard Bodyguard Holster Review:

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar

I have been looking for a new holster for my Colt Combat Elite. I have two IWB's built for the 1911, one from Cross Breed and another from High Noon. I wanted an outside the waistband that would carry at an extreme cant, similar to a small of back, but located in the 4:30-5 position. There weren't many options out there with the custom leather guys I follow so I tried a new craftsman, (new to me).

I am very pleased with D.M. Bullard Leather Mfg. Companies' Bodyguard Holster. The fit is tight enough to secure the weapon, but draw is fast and natural with no hesitation. The leather he used is stiff and of quality while the hand boning isn't as apparent or detailed as some leather I own, it is still fitted exclusively to my Colt's lines. I actually find the amount of detail in the boning nice as a holster with extremely defined lines can print, looking exactly like the weapon it is carrying.

The Bodyguard has a body shield built into it, this is a flap of leather that keeps the rear of the slide, hammer, and beavertail from coming into contact with the wearer when the pistol is holstered. I prefer holsters with this feature especially when built for a 1911 Model as the rear edges can be quite sharp. The belt loops are cut at 1 1/2" and fit both my Wilderness Frequent Flyers belt and High Noon Rock Steady snugly.

The extreme angle of the Bullard holster's rake helps hide the Government's 5" barrel. The holster only extends approximately 2 1/2" - 3" below belt line; easily covered by a jacket or untucked shirt. For the test run I picked up pizza using an untucked polo for a coverup. No problems experienced, the Government Model remained easily hidden with the grip riding tight against my side.

Bullard states on his website that it will take approximately 16-20 weeks for delivery, but his "in stock" inventory was extensive with many variations of his holsters available. I ordered my Bodyguard Wednesday very early morning and it arrived today (Friday) before 4PM. Mr. Bullard also will build holsters from exotic leather including alligator, elephant, and ostrich which really caught my eye and would look great with my Sig P229 SCT.

The fact that I received a quality custom holster in less than a week is still amazing to me. I expect to wait months for a holster of this class. Better still was the price, including shipping I paid less than $80. I recommend D.M. Bullard highly and he will be getting some more business from me.

DSC00776.jpgDSC00777.jpg
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Been looking at the Bodyguard holster. How is it holding up?

I don't use it anymore, it stretched to the point that retention is very slack.

Like I mentioned in the review, the detail of the boning is much less than many of the other leather holsters I own/have owned, this allows way too much "slack" in the design once it breaks in a bit. To estimate I carried the rig less than 10 times, maybe averaging 8 to 12 hours. I have holsters that are 20 years old that offer better retention than this one that is still virtually new.

I would not recommend Bullard's work from this one example, maybe some of his other stuff is better, but this one was a flop. I vaguely remember Red Nichols commenting on this holster in another thread and pointing out many of it's shortcomings in design, you may want to do a search for that to see what information can be gained from his extensive experience.

Administrator
    the hand boning isn't as apparent or detailed as some leather I own,

Actually there is no hand boning at all done on the example shown. Just FYI.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    the hand boning isn't as apparent or detailed as some leather I own,

Actually there is no hand boning at all done on the example shown. Just FYI.
    Maybe I am using the wrong term, what is the forming on the ejection port, between the slide and frame, trigger guard, slide lock pin, etc.? Forming? Is forming the correct term? Either way the holster is far too loose for proper retention.

Good luck mine did not last 6 months, and they will not replace it or gave you a refund. I will not buy another holster from him and I picked mine up at the shop. It starts out nice but does not hold its shape when being used for daily use.
    USMC 68-74
    NRA LIFE

Have one for a CZ SP01 guess I got lucky mines over a year old still works great also have a crossdraw for a j frame I use when driving works very well

I wouldn't buy from Bullard if he was the last holster maker on earth. He has nothing but contempt for his customers AFTER he has their money.

Quote Originally Posted by CPO 15 View Post
    I wouldn't buy from Bullard if he was the last holster maker on earth. He has nothing but contempt for his customers AFTER he has their money.
    This is not the first time I have heard this from his customers.

Also, Hello Neighbor.

New Member Array HolsterReviewer's Avatar
    I have a DM Bullard Dual Carry and I have been nothing but thrilled with it. I have not had the holster for very long and I have used it very little. I will be curious to see how long it will last...judging from the other post...not very long....we will see

I carry a 5" 1911 in a D.M Bullard Combat holster and magazine carrier from the time I get up until I go to bed. I have used them for about three years now and they still look brand new. It still retains the gun perfectly. I highly recommend his holsters.

I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Well, DANG IT fellers! What's changed at Bullards? The reputation was once sterling. That 3 year-old example from LC looks tough-as-bull's-breath. Yet recent purchasers seemed understandably peeved. Did the company get bought by outsiders? Did a rotten son-in-law take the helm? Inquiring minds...want to know!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

My post above (#8) was negative. Here's my story: Having two of his holsters and being generally pleased, I ordered an in-stock, non-custom OWB for a revolver that I had just purchased. Website says it'll ship in five to seven days; seemed a little long, but what the heck. I get an immediate "thanks for the order" email and a second email indicating my cc was charged.

On BUSINESS DAY ten, I email and inquire why I haven't gotten my goods or a shipping notification. The reply that they'd been busy and will ship it in "a few days."

I cancelled the order and Bullard keeps 25% of what he charged my cc. I call and am told "tough luck, buddy, read our terms."

Before you order from him, do read his terms: If you're not happy, for whatever reason; he'll keep some or all of your money.

Once he'd charged my cc, he didn't give a rat's behind about keeping his word.

Plenty of other quality makers and businessmen/women to send my money to. I'll do business with ethical people, but not with this guy.

Bullard

I wrote their customer service about my reaction to the way one of their holster fit the pistol, and got a quick response that pretty much dismissed my concern out of hand. I wrote back, and thanked her for her "snarky response."

This is the message I received in return:

{Excuse me, I don't appreciate your rude response. Being a DICK gets you nowhere with me.

We sent you EXACTLY what you ordered, how is it OUR fault YOU added aftermarket sights and didn't bother to email us to make sure we can fit your gun???? HELLO, not everybody puts aftermarket crap on their guns. Ya, ignorance is on you so admit it. Don't bother emailing my girls back, because it states ALL over our website we don't deal with mean people, but I am gonna guess you are one of those type of guys that can't READ.}

[signed] David Bullard

You have to admit, he really put me in my place.

I sold the holster pronto, and obviously wouldn't buy from them again.....

YMMV
    Every thing I need to know about Islam, I learned on 9/11......

If you didn't tell them when ordering that your gun wasn't bone stock how is it there fault it didn't fit? Every holster I order I check with the maker to see if my after market sights will fit. Some have said no and some have said the sight channel will accept them while a few haven't replied at all. And you are correct, always read the fine print then decide if the purchase is worth it to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links