DM Bullard Bodyguard Holster Review:

This is a discussion on DM Bullard Bodyguard Holster Review: within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking for a new holster for my Colt Combat Elite. I have two IWB's built for the 1911, one from Cross Breed ...

Thread: DM Bullard Bodyguard Holster Review:

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar

DM Bullard Bodyguard Holster Review:

I have been looking for a new holster for my Colt Combat Elite. I have two IWB's built for the 1911, one from Cross Breed and another from High Noon. I wanted an outside the waistband that would carry at an extreme cant, similar to a small of back, but located in the 4:30-5 position. There weren't many options out there with the custom leather guys I follow so I tried a new craftsman, (new to me).

I am very pleased with D.M. Bullard Leather Mfg. Companies' Bodyguard Holster. The fit is tight enough to secure the weapon, but draw is fast and natural with no hesitation. The leather he used is stiff and of quality while the hand boning isn't as apparent or detailed as some leather I own, it is still fitted exclusively to my Colt's lines. I actually find the amount of detail in the boning nice as a holster with extremely defined lines can print, looking exactly like the weapon it is carrying.

The Bodyguard has a body shield built into it, this is a flap of leather that keeps the rear of the slide, hammer, and beavertail from coming into contact with the wearer when the pistol is holstered. I prefer holsters with this feature especially when built for a 1911 Model as the rear edges can be quite sharp. The belt loops are cut at 1 1/2" and fit both my Wilderness Frequent Flyers belt and High Noon Rock Steady snugly.

The extreme angle of the Bullard holster's rake helps hide the Government's 5" barrel. The holster only extends approximately 2 1/2" - 3" below belt line; easily covered by a jacket or untucked shirt. For the test run I picked up pizza using an untucked polo for a coverup. No problems experienced, the Government Model remained easily hidden with the grip riding tight against my side.

Bullard states on his website that it will take approximately 16-20 weeks for delivery, but his "in stock" inventory was extensive with many variations of his holsters available. I ordered my Bodyguard Wednesday very early morning and it arrived today (Friday) before 4PM. Mr. Bullard also will build holsters from exotic leather including alligator, elephant, and ostrich which really caught my eye and would look great with my Sig P229 SCT.

The fact that I received a quality custom holster in less than a week is still amazing to me. I expect to wait months for a holster of this class. Better still was the price, including shipping I paid less than $80. I recommend D.M. Bullard highly and he will be getting some more business from me.

DSC00776.jpgDSC00777.jpg

2. Remove Ads

Been looking at the Bodyguard holster. How is it holding up?

I don't use it anymore, it stretched to the point that retention is very slack.

Like I mentioned in the review, the detail of the boning is much less than many of the other leather holsters I own/have owned, this allows way too much "slack" in the design once it breaks in a bit. To estimate I carried the rig less than 10 times, maybe averaging 8 to 12 hours. I have holsters that are 20 years old that offer better retention than this one that is still virtually new.

I would not recommend Bullard's work from this one example, maybe some of his other stuff is better, but this one was a flop. I vaguely remember Red Nichols commenting on this holster in another thread and pointing out many of it's shortcomings in design, you may want to do a search for that to see what information can be gained from his extensive experience.

Administrator
    the hand boning isn't as apparent or detailed as some leather I own,

Actually there is no hand boning at all done on the example shown. Just FYI.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    the hand boning isn't as apparent or detailed as some leather I own,

Actually there is no hand boning at all done on the example shown. Just FYI.
    Maybe I am using the wrong term, what is the forming on the ejection port, between the slide and frame, trigger guard, slide lock pin, etc.? Forming? Is forming the correct term? Either way the holster is far too loose for proper retention.

Links