I've made 4 holsters now and...

This is a discussion on I've made 4 holsters now and... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd appreciate some constructive criticism from those who do it professionally. I'd also like to know if somebody has a source for IWB belt clips. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: I've made 4 holsters now and...

I'd appreciate some constructive criticism from those who do it professionally. I'd also like to know if somebody has a source for IWB belt clips. Any tricks on making the holsters look more professional would be great! I'd appreciate specifics..."Your stitching needs to be better" is not specific..."HERE is how to get your stitching better..." is what I'd appreciate. I started doing this a couple weeks ago as a hobby, and It's a great zen spot for me! These holsters are all very comfortable for my personal carry...Again, any constructive input (from anyone!) is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I am not a holster maker, but I hope you do not mind my opinion being here. I really like how on your IWB holsters the snaps are very close to the weapon itself, I think that a holster like that would be very supportive and comfortable to wear, especially that J-frame holster. The way the loops curve make the weapon more stable. However on your 1911 holster I believe that it would be more comfortable to the wearer and a bit less top heavy if you moved the loops about an inch or two higher on the holster. The main weight for a 1911 is in the top, thats where the loops should be for top comfort. Otherwise its gonna flop about and print. Just my two cents. Let me know when you start selling these as I would be interested in a right handed holster for my J-frame exactly like the one you are showing but with a 2 inch barrel. Looks great so far, now that I think about it, that holster for the J-frame would be perfect for SOB carry. Keep up the good work.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

^^ Not at all! I want input from everyone!^^^@INccwchris

You are correct on the .45 holster...I was trying to attain a higher ride height...since the picture I re-cut the loop openings about 5/8" higher and attained my goal, tho for some it would probably be too top heavy still...the revolver is actually an "L" frame 686, tho I have made the exact same holster for my "J" frame...it is a GREAT feeling holster...I also made a carrier/holster for a pair of speed loader for it....So far I have only been making holster for myself, tho I Have 3 holsters friends have asked me to make for them...tonite I am doing a Ruger Redhawk Alaskan snubnose....then I've got a Kimber ultracarry and a Ruger 9mm...I'll private message you if I get to the point I want to sell some...Thanks for the kind words!

My local hobby store carries the metal clips for IWB holsters. My neighbor orders his from a place called Tandy Leather Supplies. I only know that because his deliveries always end up on my porch instead of his. Those are the only two places I can think of off the top of my head. I know my first try at holster making would not be anywhere near as good as yours, thumbs up.

Make certain you can get a full grip on your gun. Yours. thus far, seems to make this a little difficult.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

Administrator
    I am going to be posting some pictorial Do It Yerself holster making Tips & Hints on the forum toward the end of next week. I already HAVE the Pics savedin my camera but, my Bro has my camera vacationing down Myrtle Beach.
    Be sure to watch for it as it will really help you out quite a bit.

Looking good! Where do you get your leather and what type are you using?
    CCW- Smith & Wesson M&P 9mmC
    HD- EAA Witness P .45acp
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.
    Thomas Jefferson

+1 on Tandy Leather, I buy my dyes and protectant from there. They also have books on Holster Making and they have classes too, I'm not sure if Holsters is one of them. I shop at the local store you can check on there website to see if there's one in your area, if not you can order everything online. Tandy Leather Factory - Leathercraft and Leather Craft Supplies

Springfield Leather Co. Springfield, MO Best in business

I make all my own holsters also. Here are a few tips for better stitching.
    Two things will make a big difference in your quality
    Get an adjustable groover to mark your stich lines. Tandy Leather Factory - Craftool Adjustable Groover
    Use a diamond 4 prong hole punch to make the stich holes. Tandy Leather Factory - Craftool Diamond Hole Punch 4 Prongs 3/32"

here is my weekend glock holster.
    HPIM0385small.jpg
    QKShooter and jwhite75 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ABC111 View Post
    Make certain you can get a full grip on your gun. Yours. thus far, seems to make this a little difficult.
    This. You have plenty of room for a full combat cut. I did the same thing on my first few holsters and they did work, but they worked better when I made the cut. Also, I personally like more detail in the boning of my holsters, but that's just me.

BTW, I'm just a hobbyist, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. If it works for you, that's really all that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattus Vir View Post
    My local hobby store carries the metal clips for IWB holsters. My neighbor orders his from a place called Tandy Leather Supplies. I only know that because his deliveries always end up on my porch instead of his. Those are the only two places I can think of off the top of my head. I know my first try at holster making would not be anywhere near as good as yours, thumbs up.
    The belt clips offered by most hobby supply shops are generally poorly sized and shaped for the task and made of metal that has insufficient strength to resist the stresses and strains. To properly anchor a holstered handgun in position the clips must be a good fit for the belt (width and thickness) and be made of very strong materials that will resist bending and clip firmly in place.

After many months of searching I finally located a clip manufacturer that would produce clips to my specifications (size, shape, heat-treated spring steel, etc). I usually have several hundred on hand, so those needing a few for experimentation or an occasional project may contact me if they wish.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

Holster making is very addicting! I agree with the advice on the stitching groover and 4 prong punch. You may want to consider a stitching wheel instead of the punch. This is used to mark the location of your stitches. I also recommend an #2 edge beveler. When I have my holster put together, I sand the edges even, bevel, then wet the edges and coat the edge with glycerin bar saddle soap. Then use a piece of denim or canvas to rub the edge smooth. I think it makes a big difference in the look.
    Checkout adamsleatherworks.com. This guy has some awesome holster making tutorials. Since you obviously have the bug, I also recommend buying Jon Bianchi's holster making dvd's. Good luck to you.
    Jeff
    NRA Life Member

Check out Leatherworker.net: Stand by... and ask the question on the holster sub-board there. There are seasoned, professional holster makers (like Loboleather, above) who have been a great resource for getting into holster making. It is not that hard to make a quality holster, as long as you are determined and don't mind a few mistakes - even with a few mistakes it is very economical to make your own custom rigs.

Good luck!
    "War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner."
    Cormac McCarthy

Reread my post. One thing to clarify the stitching wheel. This is used to get evenly spaced stitches. I recommend 6 stitches per inch.
    Jeff
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links