For those of you that like to AIWB carry (pics inside)

This is a discussion on For those of you that like to AIWB carry (pics inside) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 95% of the time I carry in either a Milt Sparks VMII or a Crossbreed Supertuck. The other 5% of the time I will appendix ...

Thread: For those of you that like to AIWB carry (pics inside)

For those of you that like to AIWB carry (pics inside)

95% of the time I carry in either a Milt Sparks VMII or a Crossbreed Supertuck. The other 5% of the time I will appendix carry if I am just running to the store or know I won't be out long.

I was looking for an alternative to the Dale Fickle Archangel as $100 for a kydex holster is a lot. Forum member zacii recommended this alternative Phantom Series IWB holster :: IWB holsters :: Blade-Tech Industries

I ordered one from Cheaper Than Dirt and had it in four days. After adding some mole skin to the back for comfort and adjusting the tension I have to say it is much better than the Don Hume I have been using. Very stable, smooth draw, stays open for re-holstering and it is cheap!!!

I still like my Desantis Tuck This for my Springfield XD9SC but for the Glock 23 this works better for me as it doesn't ride as deep as the Desantis.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. Remove Ads

GM
    It looks very good. Glad that you like it. Enjoy!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member
    29.99! Thanks for the photos. How is that rtf working as an iwb carry, do you find it prickly even with a tshirt on? Just curious about this, I loved the feel of those in the hand but was afraid it would give me road rash so to speak.

Its the Gen4 RTF so it isn't as bad as the RTF2. I will sometimes carry without an undershirt and don't mind it at all.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Cool

The vast majority of my EDC is AIWB. Thanks for the photos and info on your new holster.

I am glad it works for you as there is nothing more annoying then a holster that is not comfortable.

I tried a few kydex holsters and just could not get use to the feel of them so I stuck with leather.

More costly but for me much more comfortable on my "old man's skin".

photo.jpg G-23 and High Noon Public Secret
    photo.jpg

click to enlarge.....
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I have all archangels for my big heavier pistols. 100 is a small price to pay for reliable quality. I use high noon mr softies for my lightweight smaller pistols and revolvers.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    The vast majority of my EDC is AIWB. Thanks for the photos and info on your new holster.

I am glad it works for you as there is nothing more annoying then a holster that is not comfortable.

I tried a few kydex holsters and just could not get use to the feel of them so I stuck with leather.

More costly but for me much more comfortable on my "old man's skin".

photo.jpg G-23 and High Noon Public Secret
    photo.jpg

click to enlarge.....
    Love the big dot sights

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"Love the big dot sights" (quote)

Absolutely.

Not only do I have "old man's skin" I have "old man's eyes" and they make a big difference, especially when keeping both eyes open.

I have them on my G-19, 23 and SP-101.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Looks good and seems to carry at about the right height too. Only thing I would change would be to get the right sized belt loops from blade-tech so it will be more stable on the belt.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
    Looks good and seems to carry at about the right height too. Only thing I would change would be to get the right sized belt loops from blade-tech so it will be more stable on the belt.
    The pull the dot loops are adjustable. I originally tried the holster with my 1 1/2" Beltman and it was so thick it was pulling the snaps loose. I adjusted the straps to the 1 3/4" sizing and now they fit the thick Beltman belt just fine.

I find that AIWB works better for me though if I use a softer belt rather than a thick belt. It helps conform the holster to the body. The thicker belt pushes the top of the holster out and makes the grip print like hell.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have tried AIWB carry a few times but I've just never found it comfortable.

i like the looks of that holster though. Glad you found a way to make it work for you.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Everyone finds their holster niche, appendix carry does not work, if you can't see your 'appendix'...

Your carry looks great!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by maddy345 View Post
    I find that AIWB works better for me though if I use a softer belt rather than a thick belt. It helps conform the holster to the body. The thicker belt pushes the top of the holster out and makes the grip print like hell.
    Yeah that's a design flaw with that holster mainly because it isn't really designed specifically for appendix carry. It is mainly designed to be carried at a 15 degree cant (FBI), so it carries a little too high on the belt in the appendix mode which will cause it to want to tip out over the belt. Don't get me wrong...........that holster does a decent job at what you are wanting it to do, but there are better designs if you want better results. There are many little changes that these appendix carry holster designers make to their product so that you get the best concealability, comfort and retension possible. I feel the added expense is well worth the results I get with the Dale Fricke Archangel. There are no sharp edges anywhere on the holster for comfort. It has a nice flat backside for comfort against the body. And, it's attachment points for the Pull-the-Dot loops are designed in such a way that it makes the grip of the gun lean into the body to reduce printing.

If and when you decide that appendix carry is right for you and you want it to be your primary mode of carry, do yourself a favor and try out an Archangel. You will not be disappointed. You need to stop thinking of it as just another piece of Kydex. It's not, but you won't know that until you try it. Good luck.

BTW, AIWB has been my primary mode of carry for 3 years now, and I tried a bunch of holsters (even a BladeTech) before finding one that worked right.

GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Links