Looking for a good tip to help make mag carriers interchangeable

This is a discussion on Looking for a good tip to help make mag carriers interchangeable within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For example: I have a magazine holder for the belt for a Glock 19. My XD 40 magazine is just slightly skinnier, enough to make ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Looking for a good tip to help make mag carriers interchangeable

Distinguished Member

For example:

I have a magazine holder for the belt for a Glock 19. My XD 40 magazine is just slightly skinnier, enough to make the G19 mag holder impossible to use.

Right now I have some folded up paper as a filler on the side to tighten it up. Is there some clever way to put something in there to make it work for a slightly smaller magazine - without stretching it for the glock of course.

Thanks for any ideas.

**WARNING SMART-ASS REPLY**

You have a GLOCK 19, what do you need an XD 40 for?

Ok got that outta my system.

I wonder if you could form a sheet of kydex for an insert or something, although you'd want it to stay in when you draw your XD magazine out. Maybe just a sliver of kydex on the back side fashioned with an offset loop for your belt (so it stays in place).

I'm just dreaming this up, it would help to know what style of magazine holder you have, could make a big difference.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member
    I'm just sowing a few wild oats with the XD for a while.

I have a leather mag holder with a metal clip, nothing exotic or all that appealling. Honestly I find mag holders really frustrating, just can't find a good one that I like and like wearing. The gun is fine but the mag is always an irritation.

I thought of putting something grippy in there like some rubber shelf liner stuff or foam but I would not want to get that tangled in the magazine upon drawing it out.

Maybe I am just asking for the impossible and should quit whining and just go buy another one.

Someone with some leather working skillz will be along I'm sure.

I am with you on the mag carrier issue, I keep trying to find a multi-tool pouch that would fit my GLOCK 19 magazines but not having much luck yet.

I do wonder if a kydex sleeve might help maybe it's too thick, but I hear it's inexpensive and fairly easy to work with.
    NRA Life Member

Double Take

I would imagine the 9mm/.40 staggered version would work for you. Of course, then you would need to buy a new magazine holder.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Depending on the mag holder you can sometimes add a retention screw which will make adjustable between mags within reason.

I would be happy to send you hardware if you are interested in trying it.

mkh
    Get some of the little rubbery things that you put on your toes for corns.

That is wat I did to make a Glock .45 mag holder tight enough for my CZ 9mm mags.

I have a mag carrier with a screw to adjust the tension on the mags.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

I've used a little strip of leather around say 1in. wide by 2-3in. long in around 5-6 oz. leather(or whatever thickness you need) behind the mag to basically shim it to fit. Now I should note I don't do that on a customer rig just my own carry gear. Say I want to carry a .380 mag in my 9mm mag carrier etc. My reasoning is that I'm not going to be reholstering mags, so if the strip of leather comes out with the mag and falls on the ground, no loss. So far it hasn't been an issue and has saved me having to build even more mag carriers for a few of my less used carry guns.

So leather scrap is what I would do;)

Take care!

Luke

Distinguished Member
    Thanks for all the input. I don't carry a double mag holder, so I don't think the retention screw would work (right?).

Tried the cornpad idea and it stuck to the mag each time out. Leather strip, I'll try that next. And I think I'll go ahead and get another mag carrier ordered.

cg

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Galco makes adjustable magazine pouches which work really well.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    Thanks for all the input. I don't carry a double mag holder, so I don't think the retention screw would work (right?).

Tried the cornpad idea and it stuck to the mag each time out. Leather strip, I'll try that next. And I think I'll go ahead and get another mag carrier ordered.

cg
    Depending on which mag holder you have placing one in between the mags might work.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post

I am with you on the mag carrier issue, I keep trying to find a multi-tool pouch that would fit my GLOCK 19 magazines but not having much luck yet...
    I found 2 that will work for G19/23 mags when I visited the Smoky Mountain Knife Works last Fall:

1. Gerber Replacement Sheath, Large, PN 08764, black nylon with Velcro closure
    2. Schrade X Timer, molded black nylon, snap closure

Both of these apparently have been discontinued, but it looks like there are still some available.

Quote Originally Posted by Gforty View Post
    I found 2 that will work for G19/23 mags when I visited the Smoky Mountain Knife Works last Fall:

1. Gerber Replacement Sheath, Large, PN 08764, black nylon with Velcro closure
    2. Schrade X Timer, molded black nylon, snap closure

Both of these apparently have been discontinued, but it looks like there are still some available.
    Thanks for the intel!
    NRA Life Member

cj
    cammo girl - I had something similar (couldn't find an XD45 carrier in the style I wanted, so had picked up a Glock one which was too loose). My carrier had an adjustment screw through the middle, so I removed the screw, cut a piece of kydex to fit in the carrier, punched a screw hole through it, and reassembled the whole thing with the kydex in the adjustment hole.

Next, I heated the kydex slightly and inserted the magazines and let it all cool, and suddenly I've got a decent carrier that can be switched back pretty easily.

Edit: Ack! Just saw that you're using a single leather carrier. Depending on the clip attachment, it might be possible to fold some kydex around to the clip to get some decent tightness to take up the extra space? It sounds like it might not keep things tight enough though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links