Having Trouble With A Raven Phantom

This is a discussion on Having Trouble With A Raven Phantom within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got a Raven Phantom with the IWB Tuckable Soft Loops for my HK P30. I'm having trouble configuring it for wearing it IWB ...

Thread: Having Trouble With A Raven Phantom

I just got a Raven Phantom with the IWB Tuckable Soft Loops for my HK P30. I'm having trouble configuring it for wearing it IWB with my shirt tucked over it.

I'm especially having trouble with tucking the shirt over and around the loops. So much so I think I may have it put together incorrectly.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks!

Pictures would help a bunch
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

IWBTuckableSoftLoops.JPG

Click on the photo I've attached and then look closely at how the tabs are mounted to the holster. It should be fairly self explanatory.

The holster gets mounted on your belt with the entire holster on the inside of your pants. Only the leather belt loops will end up being visible once your shirt gets tucked in hiding the grip and top portion of your gun.

Your shirt gets tucked into you trousers in front of the holster body and behind the slot provided by the 3" or 4" tabs which the leather loops are attached. (notice the tabs which the leather belt loops are fixed are mounted to the holster with the lower screw holes of the tabs). This leaves a slot where you can tuck your shirt behind.

The leather belt loops are still going to be in plain view on your belt. There is no way to avoid that. That is indicative of all "tuckable" holsters.

Below is a link to another description on how to use a tuckable holster from another forum. Note that the image links do not work, so you won't be able to see the example, but the step by step instructions may be more helpful.

http://tfrwiki.midworld.co.uk/wiki/i...ckable_holster

You must also understand there are going to be some limitations with the tuckable. They are not going to provide a totally sleek, tailored look. Some people really like them and others do not. Some people feel they are too cumbersome, too slow to draw from, and are not as comfortable as other IWB holsters. Others feel they are adequate for what they are designed to do and understand their limitations with that style of holster.

I have not owned or used one, because I usually do not wear tucked in shirts. When I do, I use a completely different holster system called the Undercover Shoulder Holster for deep concealment. Much more comfortable for me.

Here is another website with some other comments regarding tuckable holsters.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17492
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ To-add to that excellent post:

Clips that are in the form of a "C," where the open section is on the front of the belt, can help minimize the "signature" of the clip (as, then, only the very top and very bottom will show - an effect which can be further concealed with the use of either nylon or leather "Ranger"-style belts that have a lighter central trim). This type of clip still allows the weight of the gun/holster to be borne by the belt.

A "J" clip utilizes the pants' waistband to bear the weight of the holster/gun combo, with a lip curving from below-and-up onto the bottom of the belt (thus, it eliminates "the top of the C," so to speak) that positively hooks on the belt during your draw-stroke, to prevent the holster from being withdrawn with the gun. It's another way to further minimize the signature of the clip.

There are also VELCRO-bearing clips that allow you to VELCRO the clip to the back side of a carry belt which itself bears the mate counterpart to the VELCRO on the clip. This in-turn allows for an even more discrete presentation of that area. Concessions often need to be made in terms of belt thickness, however, as the VELCRO adds a bit there. Some holster/belt makers will offer this option with their custom-made belts, but will not allow its combination with, say, a stiffener or an increased-thickness belt option.

PUT TOGETHER INCORRECTLY!!?.Leave the gun at home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    PUT TOGETHER INCORRECTLY!!?.Leave the gun at home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jeez, that seemed a bit much.

To point of this thread, I have to admit I don't find my tuckable holster easy to tuck into, and am still trying to get the hang of getting the shirt down between the brackets and the holster without spending ten minutes jamming it in and looking at a mirror each time. Don't lose hope, keep tinkering with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    The leather belt loops are still going to be in plain view on your belt. There is no way to avoid that. That is indicative of all "tuckable" holsters.
    Check out the tuckable clips for the Milt Sparks VM2. They clip to the waistband of the pants under your belt. Damn near invisible. I like them better than the J-hooks or C-clamps I have tried in the past. I think the Minotaur/COMP TAC velcro system is the only one that is as hard to spot.

PS:

The Minotaur M-Tac/Crossbreed Supertuck types seem the easiest to tuck, but I feel the VM2 conceals tremendously better and is a ton more comfortable. (Just my opinion)
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    Check out the tuckable clips for the Milt Sparks VM2. They clip to the waistband of the pants under your belt. Damn near invisible.
    Would you mind linking/posting some pix? I'm having a really hard time searching this one up. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    Would you mind linking/posting some pix? I'm having a really hard time searching this one up. Thanks!
    Versa Max 2

Thanks for the help.

OK, I do have it assembled correctly. I didn't think it could be that difficult.

I think I'm trying to use it with a shirt that is simply too long. It's bunching up on top of the holster. I'll have to go with a shorter shirt I guess.

I wish the link from Bark'n had pictures. It sounds like it would be a big help.

Bark'n, who makes that Undercover Shoulder Holster?

Quote Originally Posted by soonerman View Post
    Thanks for the help.

Bark'n, who makes that Undercover Shoulder Holster?
    It's called the Deep Concealment Shoulder Holster

I've had two of them. Wore the first one out. Will last longer hand washing them, but I go ahead and use the washing machine. Much faster.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Cattus Vir View Post
    ^ No pictures of the Kydex clips....unless I'm totally missing it..... :embarrassed:

Pictures specifically of the clips you spoke of are what interests me (and what I'm having a heck of a time trying to find) - as a good holster-addict, I should well know what the VM-II looks like.

Links