Can I get a little feedback

This is a discussion on Can I get a little feedback within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I have been lurking around here for a while and just registered and decided its time to get involved with all you fine ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Can I get a little feedback

Hello all, I have been lurking around here for a while and just registered and decided its time to get involved with all you fine folks...
    I used to do a little leather work many years ago and have started to get back into it for a while now, I've been making holsters for friends and family. Now i'm going to try and expand a little and see if I can get something a little more going. I am going to post a few pics of my Avenger style and would like a little feedback, don't worry I have pretty thick skin and I want to put out a quality product. Here is one for my EMP and one for my XD s.c. Let me know what you think. Any and all feedback is welcome.
    Thanks,
    Attached Images
    tcox4freedom and Bark'n like this.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Welcome from Florida!

No need to be thick skinned, they look great to me. Good looking leather, nice stiching, and boning.
    I'm impressed! and I'm not easily impressed
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nice work!
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Very nice holsters! Do they sit high and close?

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    look good. OWB . some pics with a belt would show off the rake.
    not sure about the extra leather around the outside of the mouth. i know it is there to aid in re-holstering with one hand but 3 lines of stiching works also.....just saying.
    and i am a fan of the minimilistic look. so i like how the EMP can develope.

-----------------
    RKirk.....do you have a permit to have that computer?

still playing crystal caves & pong, ehh?
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by RKirk View Post
    Very nice holsters! Do they sit high and close?

-- Richard
    Now they do, let me tell you that it took a few tries to get it right though.

Thanks, for the kind words (so far). The Avenger style isn't going to ride quite as tight to the body as the Pancake holsters I make do, but will cover pretty easily under a longer shirt or jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    look good. OWB . some pics with a belt would show off the rake.
    not sure about the extra leather around the outside of the mouth. i know it is there to aid in re-holstering with one hand but 3 lines of stiching works also.....just saying.
    and i am a fan of the minimilistic look. so i like how the EMP can develope.

-----------------
    RKirk.....do you have a permit to have that computer?

still playing crystal caves & pong, ehh?
    I understand exactly what your saying, it is definately a little chunkier than a traditional pancake, it would be hard to get rid of that extra leather on this one in my opinion as its the belt slot on the backside. I could just put a belt slot on the back but I think it takes away from the overall look. I appreciate the comments. (I will get to posting some pictures of my pancake holsters at some point, probably next wee since my wife has the camera out of town)

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Husker, welcome from North Carolina.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

I like 'em. The stitching is nice and the boning looks good. I've haven't used that style holster yet so can't comment there. What are you using to stain it? I would go darker or lighter with the color. Are you hand tooling or stamping these? I like the carving. I think a leaf pattern would be better than the basket weave. The only thing I don't like is the sealer shine. What are you using?

n
    Quote Originally Posted by i10casual View Post
    I like 'em. The stitching is nice and the boning looks good. I've haven't used that style holster yet so can't comment there. What are you using to stain it? I would go darker or lighter with the color. Are you hand tooling or stamping these? I like the carving. I think a leaf pattern would be better than the basket weave. The only thing I don't like is the sealer shine. What are you using?
    I am using Fiebing's Saddle Tan Oil Dye. I will be using an airbrush hopefully shortly to apply my dye and finish, and will be able to do many more things like fading in edges with different colors. I am hand tooling these, they are one in the same, its a basket stamp but it probably took hundreds to do that reinforcement peice on the holster. I have several floral patterns that work nicely on the reinforcement peice. It was my first go with the Springfield Emp pattern and I definetly have a few things that I will probably change for my main production type pattern. I have been using two coats of Satin Sheen then I wipe the excess and the final coat if wanted (some do and some don"t) is the acrylic resolene which I believe is what your referring to, I'm kind of neutral I like some of them a little flatter and some with a little more shine. I appreciate the feedback.

I like the color... very rich and deep looking. I am not a persoanl fan of basket weave detailing but that is personal taste only. It looks well done. The extra panel on the body of the holster appears to be what makes it look chunkier, once again a matter of personal taste. The boning appears to have good detail and the stitches all look well set and even. Looks overall as good as any avenger style I have seen.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Claude, I don't have a permit for that thing, but they will have to pry it from my dead cold fingers! Mac's Rock!

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member
    Only think I can think of is maybe some stitching around the belt loops.

I can't remember the maker, but I saw an otherwise very well-built holster starting to separate at the loops after several years.

Other than that, those are some very nice pieces!

Very nice work. I wish my stitching looked as nice!

Looks really good. Leatherworker.net is a great resource for holster makers. Welsome.
    Jeff
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links