pocket holster change to IWB

This is a discussion on pocket holster change to IWB within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought an IWB holster for my P238. I absolutely love having my front pocket freed up!!! Not as uncomfortable as I thought. You can ...

Thread: pocket holster change to IWB

pocket holster change to IWB

I bought an IWB holster for my P238. I absolutely love having my front pocket freed up!!! Not as uncomfortable as I thought. You can see it through my shirt but can't tell what it is. Im a think guy so I guess this is expected.

2. Remove Ads

GM
    IMO IWB carry is more comfortable than pocket carry. I do not understand why you say “You can see it through my shirt but can't tell what it is. Im a think guy so I guess this is expected”; being thin has nothing to do with that. Perhaps you need to get some thicker shirts.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Oh yah shirts will help. But it's summer! I don't think the little bit of a lump that shows is nearly as bad as I think it shows.

Agreed.
    The 238 is a fine pocket gun, but people forget there's more to pocket carry than making the gun fit.
    It's all the other stuff that now has to occupy another pocket. Keys, phone, change, it all adds up.
    I have a nice IWB from R. Grizzle for the baby Sig.

I've nevr been able to stand a pcket carry for that reason. Too much other junk I need to carry around. I found myself wearing cargo shorts or pants every day just to fit all of my stuff.

RKM
    I much prefer to carry IWB, but I can't at work. It sucks, I have to pocket carry.

Pocket carry is very convenient, comfortable, concealable. But I hate drawing from the pocket. No matter how much I practice, it's hard to get a good grip on my P3AT. And I'd say 10% of the time, the holster comes out with the gun (Desantis Nemesis). BUT, it's the only choice I have during the day on weekdays.

On weekday evenings, if I leave the house or weekends, I carry my G30, IWB. But I still have my P3AT in my pocket as a "reload".

I don't hate pocket carry. It's useful, but it's far from my favorite method. Besides it takes up valuable space.

I carry IWB most of the time when off-duty. Nothing against those who pocket carry (I do w/ my BUG at work) but IWB provides a faster draw while still concealing well and being comfortible.

I know that there are some diehard guys who pocket carry and practice their draws to get pretty fast, but they'll never be as fast as a draw from IWB.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    I carry IWB most of the time when off-duty. Nothing against those who pocket carry (I do w/ my BUG at work) but IWB provides a faster draw while still concealing well and being comfortable.

I know that there are some diehard guys who pocket carry and practice their draws to get pretty fast, but they'll never be as fast as a draw from IWB.
    such absoluteness beg to be challenged.

if you are at 3 paces from me and ranting and i have my hand in my pocket on my gun---all i need do is remove my hand to complete the draw.
    a IWB will have to acquire first and than draw.....

which is faster??

pocket carry allows for me to have my hand on it with out visually escalating the situation.
    you can not touch your IWB thusly.

again, whose faster?
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    such absoluteness beg to be challenged.

if you are at 3 paces from me and ranting and i have my hand in my pocket on my gun---all i need do is remove my hand to complete the draw.
    a IWB will have to acquire first and than draw.....

which is faster??

pocket carry allows for me to have my hand on it with out visually escalating the situation.
    you can not touch your IWB thusly.

again, whose faster?
    I just typed a response that did not post for some reason >:( oh well, I'll do it agin.

I see your point. But If my hair is raised I will not be letting someone have their hands in their pockets. At 3 paces, I am highly confident in my 25 years of martial arts training that I can close the gap and have them swallowing some blood before they present that weapon. If I'm not close enough, I'm moving, drawing and shooting at the same time if they do present a weapon. I've trained doing this enough to feel confident in that situation as well.

I've been on the job long enough to read body language very well.

But touche, my friend.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    I just typed a response that did not post for some reason >:( oh well, I'll do it agin.

I see your point. But If my hair is raised I will not be letting someone have their hands in their pockets. At 3 paces, I am highly confident in my 25 years of martial arts training that I can close the gap and have them swallowing some blood before they present that weapon. If I'm not close enough, I'm moving, drawing and shooting at the same time if they do present a weapon. I've trained doing this enough to feel confident in that situation as well.

I've been on the job long enough to read body language very well.

But touche, my friend.
    i think both of us are accustomed to and have trained for dealing with 'street crazies'
    many a time i have had to face down someone who got confused by the fact that i was not acting like him nor a mark. they never knew that they were 4 ounces away from losing their family jewels. i am a point shooter and do not mind in the least putting a hole or 2 in my pockets.

i am also trying to put across that your methodology may not work as well with some one who is sane--but than a sane person would not be pushing you like that.

--------re-reading i realize that a psychopath could. ua-all be careful out there!!
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Links