Ankle carry help

This is a discussion on Ankle carry help within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all Newbie here I am a carrier of a glock 26, with a backup gun as a glock 26 The reasons, limitations etc are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ankle carry help

Ankle carry help

Hello all
    Newbie here

I am a carrier of a glock 26, with a backup gun as a glock 26
    The reasons, limitations etc are probably obvious- but this is my set up. I am to new (and it doesn't make much sense to me honestly) to carry a different primary gun and backup, and I don't have the confidence to commit different muscles to different memories anyway. So this was my decision and compromise.

I prefer to deep conceal carry both with a holster to transition to pocket carry when ready (ie leaving the house etc).

I am experimenting with ankle carry. It is interesting how little I think I print, esp with twin ankles.

But it has been a sometimes painful learning experience! Something I found today that helped a ton was an ACE bandage product called something like self adhesive bandage or something. Comes in thick 4 inch rolls (and other sizes) and unlike regular ACE it lookes very perforated, almost like cheesecloth.

Anyway I found that rolling a single layer in spiral fashion from shin downward then rolling a few layers at that ankle did wonders for me:
    -the ACE layer adds a little comfort and sticks like glue to the holster
    -the extra layers fatten up the ankle
    -the glue effect and fatter ankle keep the holster in place without having to cut off circulation
    -the sock can then be pulled over the holster minimizing problems with exposure and also helping keep things in place
    -I found most of the discomfort and self conciousness I felt with ankle wear was due to movement- eliminate that (even slight movement) and it was a ton better.

Anyway I'd tried the 2 sock approach and some other ideas and this worked. I use bother a wolverine and another, renegade I think.

Appreciate any other thoughts.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    you discovered one of the most basic aspects of ankle carry---there must be no wiggle room.

none at all. the swing/arc or your walking will magnify any movement. causing chafing and possibly shifting the location of the holster--unacceptable. ankle with above the thigh strap have a good chance of working. but it takes a few weeks of dedicated work on your part to have any chance of success. the great many do not employ this method for long. though extenuating circumstances may make it have to work for you
    good luck

you state why what you want is for you. may i suggest a j-frame for your weak side ankle carry. the best success has been with the j. its size/shape and weight just works better than others that i have experience with.
    the upper strap helps to lift the weight allowing the lower part of the rig to dedicate its self to keeping the gun stable as you move.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I only ankle carry at work, but i wear jungle boots and put the holster on the boot, no problems
    enk5 likes this.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    During the hot summer months I sometimes carry a S&W 642 in a Galco Ankle Glove. It's a good choice if you are sitting a lot during the day.

My preferred carry is my Ruger LC9 in my right front pocket, sometimes both.
    Proud NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    you discovered one of the most basic aspects of ankle carry---there must be no wiggle room.

none at all. the swing/arc or your walking will magnify any movement. causing chafing and possibly shifting the location of the holster--unacceptable. ankle with above the thigh strap have a good chance of working. but it takes a few weeks of dedicated work on your part to have any chance of success. the great many do not employ this method for long. though extenuating circumstances may make it have to work for you
    good luck

you state why what you want is for you. may i suggest a j-frame for your weak side ankle carry. the best success has been with the j. its size/shape and weight just works better than others that i have experience with.
    the upper strap helps to lift the weight allowing the lower part of the rig to dedicate its self to keeping the gun stable as you move.
    I agree, get a snubby .38 airweight. I forget I have it down there sometimes. I also got an Alessi ankle holster, lots of thick padding, no chance of the gun falling out like my Uncle Mikes did once (very embarasing but fortunately it was at a friends house just after we were done shooting.) Note that hamerless snubbies don't tend to stick in the ankle holster as well. That's the gun that fell out on me.

One of the nice aspects is ankle carry is the ease of grabbing the gun when your driving a car should you need it. I usually hike my tuxedo pants up over the holster when I'm driving to a gig.

Just my $.02

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    During the hot summer months I sometimes carry a S&W 642 in a Galco Ankle Glove. It's a good choice if you are sitting a lot during the day.

My preferred carry is my Ruger LC9 in my right front pocket, sometimes both.
    Another vote for the Ankle Glove. I wear a Glock 27 in it from time to time and it is extremely comfortable. I wear it with a 3/4 boot so it sits right above the boot with no movement.

VIP Member
    No fan of ankle carry ever since I read a story of a guy getting stabbed while he attempted to bend down to retrieve it.

Reviewing in my mind a very recent incident of simple verbal assault on myself by someone in a rage, there is no possibility I could have retrieved a weapon from my ankle had things gotten out of hand and physical.

Ankle carry seems to me only good for driving, or for folks who have genuine need to carry more than a primary and one backup.
    Last edited by Hopyard; July 6th, 2011 at 01:47 PM.

[QUOTE=Hopyard;1971375
    Reviewing in my mind a very recent incident of simple verbal assault on my by someone in a rage, there is no possibility I could have retrieved a weapon from my ankle had things gotten out of hand and physical.
    [/QUOTE]

I will agree it takes too long to get the gun from an ankle in an emergency. However, sometimes I ankle carry also. I only do that with my little .380 because a larger gun would be pretty uncomfortable to wear on my ankle. But it also depends on where you are going. For example, I most often ankle carry when I'm going to be dressed up for something, such as a wedding, for example. I consider it a low-risk event. I just don't see a scenario where I'm going to have somebody come out of the blue and try to stab me. But I still like to have the gun for the unknown possibilities. For example, and ex-lover might show up and threaten to kill everyone. Who knows.

Very wise choice in my opinion to carry two guns that are the same(thats what i do) so that there is no confusion of how to use either one in case you have to,plus you have spare parts on hand in case you need them to fix one gun.I carry one in the front pocket and one on my ankle.
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I will agree it takes too long to get the gun from an ankle in an emergency. However, sometimes I ankle carry also. I only do that with my little .380 because a larger gun would be pretty uncomfortable to wear on my ankle. But it also depends on where you are going. For example, I most often ankle carry when I'm going to be dressed up for something, such as a wedding, for example. I consider it a low-risk event. I just don't see a scenario where I'm going to have somebody come out of the blue and try to stab me. But I still like to have the gun for the unknown possibilities. For example, and ex-lover might show up and threaten to kill everyone. Who knows.
    Yup, it is all a game of chance and risk v benefit. I had no expectation of trouble prior to someone running at me while I was pumping gas in broad daylight at a busy gas station. Fortunately, he thought I was going for a gun when I put my hand in a pocket and left it there (started to retrieve a cell phone but decided not to because I figured it would further provoke the lunatic). There is no way I could have bent down to actually retrieve any weapon (gun or knife) from an ankle without exposing myself to great danger.

My little episode (which I realize I have not detailed) was proof and confirmation that my many hours playing at H2H in MA class was worthwhile. It never got physical, but I was prepared with something short of lethal force.

I have a DeSantis for an ankle rig. It rides over my sick & is kept snug but not tight enough to cut off circulation. It is not super comfortable but better than any other I have found. Carry is not supposed to be comfortable but rather comforting...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

There is no doubt that a snubnose would be easier for my preferred methods (ankle and pocket) but its only because one does compromise in other areas. For me I really don't think I am nearly as fast or accurate with a revolver (I know I am less accurate with a snubby) and I need the capacity in my mind. So I am dedicated to the Glock 26 for now.

And I agree with Macantic. I have no interest in learning 2 guns. With the availability of the G26 is relatively covert package with relatively decent caliber and great reliability, my primary carry = my backup; while I have to deal with the drawbacks of those "relativelies", the advantages seem so overwhelming to me that I cannot really imagine altering that approach.

I also harbor no illusion of getting to a gun at my ankle in time for the scenarios listed. I guess I am more of an ankle "reservist". I start the day carrying at both ankles, very safe way to follow all the rules. I am not all that experienced with the color scheme but in a nutshell whenever I move from Cooper's "white" to "yellow" I transition my right ankle to my right pocket. So breakfast with family, while sitting in a fancy restaurant, family reunions- both guns are ankled. Going to car, driving somewhere that I might have to stop for gas, coming to and from the reunion- its primary in pocket backup at ankle. In making it a conscius transition, I am more deeply yellow and always reminded / aware I am carrying. It does not eliminate printing per se but does limit the time I pocket carry and my gun will never come out onto the couch at a close friends social function.

Goes without saying I hope that those transitions happen in the bathroom, privately and carefully.

It eases my practice as well as I know exactly where I need to learn to go for my ankle (car, couch) first and its at those times the ankle is most accessible. I am no action hero so if I can limit the set of things I must commit to muscle memory I have more time to learn them- thats my thought.

I've used galco ankle glove holsters for over 15 years and actually still have my first one.

I currently use my ankle glove to carry a G26 as a BUG.

All the best

J
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

It sounds like you have a cheap ankle holster. There really are no cheap alternatives when it comes to this form of carry. If you go the cheap route, you have issues. The only truly good ankle holster that I am aware of is the Alessi, (even it takes getting used to). Some people can use the Galco. Try a better holster and see if your issues don't go away.

Plus 1 on the ankle glove. I would worry so much about printing as I would the firearm showing when you sit down
    I carry a gun to protect myself & the people I love from the Monsters that roam this earth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links