Design Question (or 3)

This is a discussion on Design Question (or 3) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm sitting at my desk doing a mock-up of the "pocket" portion of the holster I wanna try & make (most likely out of cow). ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Design Question (or 3)

Design Question (or 3)

I'm sitting at my desk doing a mock-up of the "pocket" portion of the holster I wanna try & make (most likely out of cow).

This is the 1st one I've come up with. I'm not sure if I'm gonna do IWB or OWB, which is where there's some sketching on the "back-side" of it.

Now in looking at my Don Hume, it seems that there is a "curve" that cuts in ~1/2 way through the body and exposes the trigger a smidge. Is this a mandatory thing, or purely a preferred preference?

I'm new to holsters, but not leatherworking. Any & all feedback welcomed as this is my 1st attempt.
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

2. Remove Ads

The cut does not need to go through the trigger guard but what it does is allow a full hand grip when you go for your gun which needs to be a very important part of your design. The cut also needs to go in front of your mag release, you do not want your leather to cover your mag release. I hope that all makes sense.

I agree, looks like it provides a better grip and stays away from the mag release. I'm actually going to modify my CBST sometime soon due to the leather backing occasionally pressing the mag release. I'm just going to punch a hole in the leather.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Thx for the input.....made a cpl of changes. Here's V0.2:

"Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

Quote Originally Posted by GhostRed7 View Post
    Thx for the input.....made a cpl of changes. Here's V0.2:

Be sure to post pics when you get it all done..

O ya...pics when done for sure!!

Hey Ghost,
    How did you come up with your outline/dimensions? One way to double check the dimensions for that holster style is use a strip of the holster leather. Wrap the strip around the widest part of the holster at the trigger guard. Allow enough length for your stitch line. Then lay the leather strip on your pattern and compare. You can make adjustments from there. Or you can do like me and make a couple of dog chew toys before you are satisfied with the finished product. I have a whole box full!
    One other thing I thought of about this design. I tape a small dowel on the top of the pistol, say from the sights to the ejection port, when you form the holster. This makes for a nice sight channel which aids in the draw.
    Good Luck,
    Jeff
    NRA Life Member

I traced my Sig and added +1/2".

Essentially, I'm following (roughly) the tutorial here: Holster Making Tutorial

On that site, he traced & did 1/2" around: "and then cut it out about a 1/2 inch big. This is the size we need for the pocket." I'm kinna flying blindly, so will definitely heed all your advices. I like the dowel rod idea....just gotta go find a small one....all the ones I have @ home are just shy of broom handles LOL.

I use a plastic hanger peice notched out around the site and slant it down just past the ejection port, Just need to fit something over the site and make a nice channel to mold around. Instead of using the 1/2" around the gun I use 1/2 the width of the gun as a rule of thumb. Best of luck. Matt

Thx Matt!

Also, I think I may want a thumb break strap on this. Would the snap be best on the near where the actual thumb is or on the outside? With it being a Sig....where would be best for the strap to go across? I'm thinking on the "curve" on the backstrap, but if i do that, it'd still cover the mag release.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostRed7 View Post
    Thx Matt!

Also, I think I may want a thumb break strap on this. Would the snap be best on the near where the actual thumb is or on the outside? With it being a Sig....where would be best for the strap to go across? I'm thinking on the "curve" on the backstrap, but if i do that, it'd still cover the mag release.
    I won't be a whole lotta help on the thumb break, I'm not a big fan of them, I get my retention from getting my stitch lines as close to the firearm as possible and really shaping the leather to the gun during the molding process, especially around the trigger guard as that is where a good amount of the retention comes from.
    If I had to do a thumb break I would put it on top with the top of the snap on the outside strap with the flap towards the inside so that if I need to get to my firearm I can get my full grip and just flip up on my thumb to unsnap it. But like I said there are others much more knowledgable about thumb breaks then myself, Jeff may be able to answer that one for you a little better. Good Luck. Matt

Ghostred7... Get good at making holsters and start your part/full time new business making holsters. Waiting months for a quality holster is quite disheartening. Being a southpaw, seldom can you buy what you want off the shelf, it's discrimination I tell ya :-) This is week #11 waiting on my new Alessi holster. You know, if I had the stitching machine I think I would practice making a bunch of chew toys also and eventually get lucky. It still wouldn't take half a life time to get a new cowhide holster. I just ordered my 6 custom made leather handles for my personalized casket from Alessi. They couldn't guarantee they would arrive in time
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

LOL.....no business goin on here....nothing more than a new hobby.

The thumb-break thing was question for general populace....the only reason I am considering it is due to this possibly ending up used for OC as well and like the extra pre-caution there so a nosy kid doesn't bump & grab (doubtful, but it COULD happen).

I made a paper mockup based on the dimensions of 1/2 the width....it's very loose, but also doesn't account for the leather thickness. I'm going to measure using Jeff's recommendation this weekend.

Thumb Break

Ghost,
    First I have to say that Thumb Breaks are not intended for IWB holsters. I only put them on OWB. I have included some pics of an OWB LCP holster I just completed. I use an extra piece of leather on the receiving side of the snap. The extra, or outside piece of leather has the receiving side of the snap fastened to it. Then the extra piece of leather is sewn to the holster. By doing the thumb break this way, the receiving side of the snap is flush. If you have any other questions shoot me an email and I will try and explain it better.
    Luck,
    Jeff
    Attached Images
    NRA Life Member

Thx Jeff.
    I know the break would be for OWB...I just haven't decided which route I'm taking yet. Is that a right handed or left handed holster in your pics? I'm on tapatalk right now and can't see them very well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links