My New Garrity Gunleather

This is a discussion on My New Garrity Gunleather within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got in my C & D Crossdraw holster from Mark Garrity on Saturday. From the moment I opened the box I was impresses with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My New Garrity Gunleather

VIP Member

My New Garrity Gunleather

I got in my C & D Crossdraw holster from Mark Garrity on Saturday. From the moment I opened the box I was impresses with Mark's workmanship. I immediately made the mistake that we all make and put the pistol in the holster. It was rather a funny sight me trying to get the pistol out. I only did it once. The next time the SIG P239 .357SIG went into the holster it was for breakin and it was wrapped in two layers of wax paper. When I took the pistol out yesterday and did a few insertions and removals I determined that it was still a bit tight. So last night the Sig slept in the holster wrapped in 3 layers of wax paper. This morning when I took it out the fit was perfect.

Then came the fun. The holster has a flap with two one-way snaps that go over the belt and snap to the holster body. First I was not familiar with the one-way snaps.

I figured that out fairly quickly, but I could not snap the snaps around the belt when it was on my body. I had no problems snapping them with no belt in place, nor with the belt in hand. But with it on I had no luck. After all sorts of attempts I dropped and email to Mark and in very short order I had a response and an offer to replace the holster. I was certain that he problem was me and not the holster so I told him that I would wait until my wife got home and we would see if we could figure out my problem together. We got nowhere. I had told Mark that I would take photos of my attempts so that he could see if he had any suggestions.

I took off my cover shirt and stood on a stool. My wife got the camera ready and I slipped the holster over my belt. She took a picture of it there unsnapped. I started to attempt to snap it in place and said to myself, "Why don't you use your left hand to line up the snaps?" 15 seconds later the holster was snapped on perfectly. Me left shoulder and wrist are weak from a fall and subsequent surgery. I am working on it, but the wrist bothers me when I shoot the .357Sig left handed too much. Friday afternoon I shot most of the .357Sig rounds I fired left handed and at least two magazine were fired one handed left handed. The wrist was pretty sore Saturday and Sunday. Today it was still tender and I had just never tried to use it to snap the holster in place. When I did everything worked like a champ.

Below are some pictures of the holster. It will come in handy in the next week or so as I make a drive to East Georgia. It will stay in the truck and I will swap the pistol from my strong side IWB holster to it when I get in.

And last a picture of me in the Dodge with the holster on and seatbelt fastened. I told Mark I was going to try to find a way to trim my gut in this picture, but I couldn't. Hope it doesn't embarrass you, Mark.

I will normally just tuck the corner of the shirt in, but because it was black I had to pull it up so that the holster would show up.

Thanks, Mark, for a great piece of workmanship and a great holster design. It really works for me.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Looks like a fine holster to me

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg
    Then came the fun. The holster has a flap with two one-way snaps that go over the belt and snap to the holster body. First I was not familiar with the one-way snaps.
    Welcome to the club!

My VM II came with one-ways, and it drove me nuts till I realized what they were. I DO understand why those snaps are used, but still not sure I like them.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator

Thumbs up Thanks For The Pics dr_cmg

Congratulations on yer beautious Garrity Gunleather rig.

Sure fits your firearm like a glove!

Oh....The one way snaps.

Now that you're used to them you'll appreciate him having used them since they will prevent your holster from coming unsnapped unless you intentionally unsnap it.

After seeing the pics and checking the Garrity web site, these look like very nice rigs. Functional, thoughtful design elements. Belt slide and belt snap examples, which not all makers can claim. Hm ...
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Once you get used to one way snaps, you'll wonder why all makers don't use them.

They are very secure
    There are no problems in life too large to be handled by the use of small arms and high explosives

In god we trust, all others are suspects

$10.00 transfers in Houston, Texas

VIP Member
    Very nice holster there George!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Assistant Administrator
    Great write-up George - and a fine set of pics - excellent. Thx.

That is a style I could well employ in the truck if I did more travelling.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

George,
    Thanks for the flattering review and great pics.
    Glad we got it figured out. Those one-way snaps are a bit finicky at first. I've come to the conclusion that they actually have a "break-in" period themselves. Once you snap and un-snap them a dozen or so times or more, they just seem to work more smoothly.
    Thanks again,
    Mark
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Very nice holster...unique design---enjoy!
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    very nice rig....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

As usual Mark, very niccce !!!

Beautiful! More great gunleather to lust after!
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Very nice. I like that C/D.

VIP Member
    I thought I would add one bit of information. When I originally ordered the C&R Crossdraw holster I ordered it for the SIG P239 in 9mm which I had just bought. Not to long after than I purchased a SIG P239 in 357SIG and sent Mark an email informing him that I would be using the .357SIG in the holster instead of the 9mm. He stated that he slide on the .40/357SIG was a little different and that he would mold the holster for the .357.

I have holsters coming for both the 9mm and the .357SIG, but the only concealed carry holster I have is for the 9mm. So I am carrying that. Today I was going on a short trip so I decided to try out my new holster in a real life situation.

I got into the truck and snapped the holster on like I had been doing it for years. Now that I know how it presents no probelm. I pulled the 9mm P239 out of its IWB strong side holster and stuck it into the C&D Crossdraw. It fits just fine. I imagine that it might be a little loose on the upper part of the slide, but the rest is perfect and the retention is perfect. In fact just to test that, when I got home I took the C&D off and held it upside down and shook it (over the seat of course). The pistol showed no inclination to come out.

Now I know for sure that it does not matter which of the P239s I'm carrying at any time, the C&D Crossdraw will handle either of them. Since the trips I was making were not too long today, when I got where I was going I just put the pistol back into my strongside IWB holster and dropped the shirt down over it and the C&D. That solves a question I had wondered about. If I would need to take the C&D off everytime I got out of the truck. If I were going to be stopped for an hour or more I would remove it, but for short stops I'll leave it on.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links