Silent Thunder "Slim" for S&W M&P 9mm full size.

This is a discussion on Silent Thunder "Slim" for S&W M&P 9mm full size. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Am considering the Silent Thunder "Slim" for S&W M&P 9mm full size. This IWB tuckable holster has a Kydex exterior and is permanently lined with ...

Thread: Silent Thunder "Slim" for S&W M&P 9mm full size.

Silent Thunder "Slim" for S&W M&P 9mm full size.

Am considering the Silent Thunder "Slim" for S&W M&P 9mm full size. This IWB tuckable holster has a Kydex exterior and is permanently lined with leather. The "Slim" has a single semi-wide-ish clip off-set to the rear, so it's not sitting right on the side. That makes it slimmer. My reasoning is that if it's less obtrusive and easier to put on the belt and remove from the belt, it will make life a lot easier. Right now, I'm just carrying in my pants pocket - not such a comfortable or useful way to carry a full size M&P! Compared to that, almost anything will be an improvement. But my concern is - just how easy/difficult is it to put that holster with gun onto the belt, and how easy is it to remove it? I can tolerate some deviation from perfect stability, but only if it means easier mounting and removing from the belt.

Any thoughts on/ experience with this?

2. Remove Ads

I have not used that, but if it doesn't work out I use the Galco triton for my M&P compact, Glock 22 and j frame. Their kydex with a big clip. Easy on off and thin. I have tried dozens of holsters and like these best. Not tuckable though, but I have tuckable holsters and I don't think they work well if your looking for easy on off. Maybe their is a knack to tuck them in easy without a big bulge.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    It's now my go-to holster, when I take my Kahr PM9. I confess, the PM9 is not my true-EDC: that would be my XDm9 3.8 Compact - but the Kahr is what I'll take with me when the thicker XDm makes itself too obvious for discrete IWB carry, and for this purpose, to further slim the profile of the carry pistol, the Silent Thunder Slim (I'm using the "II" version) really pays for itself. Similarly, the PM9 is my go-to for when I know I'll have to arm/disarm (i.e. going into posted "No-Gun" areas). It's so easy to slip it off my belt and back in again.

I find it especially comforting that the STS doesn't collapse, because it's hard Kydex. And surprisingly, while I don't usually favor full-hardshell-Kydex for IWB, the STS-II is actually tremendously comfortable. Nevertheless, I can't be completely sure that this doesn't have something to do simply with the size of the gun/rig, so YMMV.

The only thing I found to be a concern with the STS-II is that due to its single offset clip (I use their "standard" clip), this makes the holster feel, on my body, somewhat less stable - to the point where I will sometimes discretely nudge it back into place. Maybe this is simple perception, given that what I usually wear tends to be rather "wide footprint" holsters that really locks the pistol into place, but nevertheless, I thought that I should bring it up, as I've also heard of this concern from others, too.

Actually, I've really contemplated getting a STS for my true-EDC XDm....the ability to easily and safely dis-arm and re-arm, all with the gun still in its holster, is a real plus, given my lifestyle.

Links