Holster Help

Holster Help

This is a discussion on Holster Help within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Guys, Dose anyone have any experience with Cross Breed Holsters ? I am looking at the Supertuck IWB for full size 1911. Price is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Holster Help

Holster Help

Hey Guys,
    Dose anyone have any experience with Cross Breed Holsters ?
    I am looking at the Supertuck IWB for full size 1911. Price is around 100$ Its ugly but nobody is going to see it anyway.The site says and customer reviews say they are very comfortable. A little concerned about the plastic because the one that came with the Springfield scratched the slide and trigger guide.(working on getting that fixed through the company) This will be my first holster(probably one of many as Ive read here) and 100$ bills are getting hard to come by. Any input or alternitives would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    TC

I'd look at a Kholster. Half the price and has a 90 day try it period plus a lifetime warranty. I don't believe the turnaround time is long either. I had one for an SP101 and it was great. I just decided IWB carry was not for me. The holster however was really comfortable.
    Ugly...you bet, but no one sees it. If I wanted IWB again, I'd buy another one.
    I believe he is also a forum sponsor.

Administrator
    Just FYI.
    All holsters Kydex, leather, combinations of Kydex & leather, lined holsters, or unlined are eventually going to wear the firearm finish unless you have Hard Chrome or Electroless Nickel.

If you've not worn off your handgun finish...you're not practicing your draw & presentation enough.
    Cdknox, Jeepin76 and BruceGibson like this.

I have found the Supertuck extremely comfortable. It works well for the 1911. The government grip length it is a little more difficult to hide in any holster, but by adjusting the angle it can be done. It takes a while to get used to the work involved in tucking it in.

As above, any holster will wear the finish over time. Kydex just a little faster than leather.

It is not always about price. There are a lot of satisfied Cross Breed users out there.
    "A gun is a tool, Marion. No better and no worse than any other tool - an axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." --from "Shane" (Alan Ladd) -1953

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I'd recommend you also check out Garrett Industries, the Silent Thunder is awesome (leather lined Kydex). I have 2 of them and both times got them in about a week, awesome people to work with and an incredible product.

I tried a Crossbreed because of all the hype, it wasn't for me - way too much material and a PITA to put on/take off.

I bought one as it came highly recommended at our local club.

Its like an ugly holster got tossed out a 12 story window and became a big flattened 100 dollar one.

Its ugly but I own a glock so I have no problems with function over fashion.

Its the size of a small pizza and kind of a pain to get on, but then I ankle carry so I have no problem with cumbersome either.

Its comfortable but again compared to ankle carry anything on the belt is. More to the point, if it was any more comfortable than a cheap kydex IWB I first bought, the difference was trivial (the difference in price was not). But then, you only pay the price once, while you "feel" the improvement in comfort with every wear.

It was a disappointment in terms of "tuck". The metal clips seem cheap and fragile- sorry thats my 2 cents. Worse they aren't deep enough to achive any actual tuck so the shirt is in danger of untucking at the worst time. And perhaps the thing that drove me nuts the most was the styalized cross on the clips. For me the clips worked best when hooked over the belt- which means the cross emblem is visible. Anyone who has spent 5 seconds googling concealed carry has heard of this holster, seen it, and thus knows exactly what those crosses mean. Its sort of like trying to pass as a vegetarian wearing a belt emblazened with the golden arches.

Anyway those are my thoughts but then I cannot get IWB to really work for me anyway. There are seemingly tons of people who love the supertuck. I thought it was a bit overpriced, perhaps overly cumbersome compared to my alternate, and the cross emblem seems ridiculous for a concealed carry product- but if IWB works I would guess even a trivial improvement in comfort is actually probably worth something.

I have one for my G23

I highly recommend it

I don't mind the crosses on the clips, but if you want something a bit more discreet, they have j-hooks that go behind the belt.

They also have velcro clips that work with a velcro lined belt.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Good points zacii

I tried the supertuck back on tonight, simultaneous with the other IWB I have. It is more comfortable than the alternate.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I carry my Government Model in a Super Tuck, they work great together. I would recommend it highly.

I'd recommend you look at Theisholsters.com | Home | Custom IWB Holsters. Tommy makes a good holster just like the Cross Breed and it costs $50. And his turn around time is a week. Plus, he has THE BEST customer service in the world, period.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I am generally a leather holster fan, but for IWB it is hard to beat the hybrid leather-kydex holsters. Holster selection is very subjective, but I will share my experience and opinions. Others are sure to feel differently.

I have a couple of Crossbreeds and a couple of Comp-Tac Minotaurs. They are both great systems, just different. I have one of each for my current primary carry. I have also tried the Galco King Tuk, and numerous other IWB holsters in the past.

For business and business casual attire, I prefer the Comp-Tac. The hook (standard or j-hook) allows me to tuck the shirt deeper than the CBST. They are more fragile, but are plenty sturdy for the activities I normally engage in when in this attire. I prefer the kydex moldings on the Comp-Tac, as they seem to offer a little more retention. You can also swap the Kydex panels if you change your carry gun.

For wearing directly against the skin and with a un-tucked shirt (t-shirt, polo, etc), I prefer the Crossbreed style holsters. The hooks are more rugged, but more exposed. The CBST moldings are a little looser, which allows you to carry different models of similar firearms. As an example, I have a model designed for a HK USP, that fits the P2000SK and HK45c equally well. The retention is slight, but just enough.

Both styles are great carry options. If you dress more casually and need something more rugged, go for the Crossbreed. If you have to dress a little more formal, then the Minotaur may be a better option.

In my experience, finish wear isn't accelerated much in a kydex holster compared to a lined leather holster. Especially with the Crossbreed, because the contact points are pretty minimal.

I've carried a 1911 in a CBST but for my build the 1911 is just a bit too long. On the other hand the CBST works very weel with my Kahr K40 and Glock 23. I had owned and used the CBST for a few months with the metal clips. It worked well, I just didn't like the exposed clips. I went the whole nine yards and ordered the crossbreed velcro lined belt with a set of "v-clips". IMO the combination is now perfect. Comfortable and totally concealed.

I have a Super Tuck for my Browning Hi-Power. It is a large hunk of leather and is kind of a deal to put on. However the way it wraps around the hip, combined with jeans or pants help carry the weight of a large, heavy pistol. I have considered the Silent Thunder holster, but do not have one. I must add that I find IWB holsters uncomfortable to wear and prefer paddle or pancake
    holsters for my pistols.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    The CBST is a very nice holster, but it's not the end-all. and neither is what is perhaps its most popularly know competitor, the Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC.

There's many more like it, some, like the TheisHolster, Old-Faithful, and the Kholster, cost considerably less and yet offer virtually all the benefits (plus a considerably shorter wait-time than the CBST, should you not be able to source a pre-made CBST from one of the larger retailers), and there are also higher-end alternatives such as Tucker's "The Answer," JMC's "Alpha," and Garrett Industries' "What the Tuck?" - along with those in-between, ranging from the "custom" (as in they build to your specs, like CBST) JMC "Alpha" to the mass-produced Galco "King Tuck."

They all have their individual pros and cons, but some of the more commonly cited shortcomings of this genre of "hybrids" are:

- If the Kydex doesn't fully cover the muzzle, expect somewhat accelerated wear of your pants, at the point(s) where the metal makes contact with the pants' material. Certainly, this will happen, eventually, with a full-shell Kydex, too, but it usually takes at least just a little longer.

- Large "footprint." While this helps tremendously in terms of stability and resisting shifting during the course of the day, it's something that cannot be denied. Working in-favor, though, is that these holsters are typically exceedingly comfortable on "the soft side," so this issue is somewhat mitigated. Nevertheless, the simple attention that some makes pay to that "skin side" should clue the potential user on this particular concern.

- For those who carry abdominal area fat (like me!!! ), it's possible that your "fat rolls" may actually force the sweat-shield "over" the mouth of the holster enough so as to make holstering a two-handed job.

- The leather does stretch, eventually. Some have mentioned that eventually, the leather portion will "collapse" into the Kydex hardshell, again making holstering a two-handed affair. But really, this is a problem that's true for virtually anything that isn't a polymer hardshell: that these holsters are consumable goods, and that eventually, you *will* have to retire them.

How well you can "tuck" any of these holsters (or, for that matter, virtually any "tuckable" holster) is up to a combination of how you set their clip heights as well as how much "height" these clips have, from where it clips to your belt to where it is, itself, fastened to the holster. Many prefer the long, thin clips offered by Comp-Tac, and it's not at all uncommon to find someone who's using, say, a CBST, only with the Comp-Tac clips.

I like the hybrids for what they offer, but to me, they're neither the most comfortable (due to their larger footprint, sometimes, when I get in certain positions, they'll give me a little "love bite" on my leg or my side) nor the most care-free at holstering. To me, they serve a purpose, and that's why I have them in my repertoire of holsters (I basically carry only one gun, all the time, and the only thing that really varies is the holster I carry it in: nevertheless, I always set up the holsters in the same place on my beltline, and in the same manner of presentation).

Oh, and also, give them a little break-in time. Many newcomers to CCW, particularly because they've seen so much hyped about the comfort of "hybrid" holsters, put them on expecting just a little too much. Sure, they're probably among the most comfortable holsters out there, but they still need a couple of days to really break-in.

As for wear to the finish of your firearm? That's inescapable. Even leather will induce some wear, after some time. If you've got a safe-queen, Kydex holsters probably aren't the best way to go - even half-shell hybrids.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    If you've not worn off your handgun finish...you're not practicing your draw & presentation enough.

very very good point and very true

i have used the CB holsters and they are comfortable. after they get broken in a little
    I carry a gun to protect myself & the people I love from the Monsters that roam this earth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links