Pictures! Homebrew Kydex first attempt; .38 Bodyguard OWB LH

This is a discussion on Pictures! Homebrew Kydex first attempt; .38 Bodyguard OWB LH within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is my first Kydex holster attempt - I salvaged it this week and cut it down, re-formed the curvature of it, and finished riveting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Pictures! Homebrew Kydex first attempt; .38 Bodyguard OWB LH

Pictures! Homebrew Kydex first attempt; .38 Bodyguard OWB LH

This is my first Kydex holster attempt - I salvaged it this week and cut it down, re-formed the curvature of it, and finished riveting it together. It was a real disaster of a first try when I came back to it after almost a month of having tossed it into the corner, and I think I saved it! I've tested it sitting down, driving around in the car, and it really does conceal nicely. It's worth noting that I don't wear an undershirt with shorts, but I took the high road here for the sake of you all I'm a bit over 6' 3", 200lbs, and hairy as the day is long.

Two confessions though;
    - That is no gunbelt I'm wearing, and I'm ashamed of it. I own a couple really excellent, true gunbelts, but they are all way too big for OWB holster wear (they are cut to length for my IWB 1911 holsters). My 5 stitch Wilderness Instructor belt is on order to fit me for OWB holsters, never fear.
    - I may still need to trim as much as a half-inch of Kydex off the top edge of this holster under the grip of the gun, but I haven't gotten around to it.

sDSC_9886.JPGsDSC_9885.jpgsDSC_9884.JPGsDSC_9883.JPGsDSC_9891.JPGsDSC_9892.JPG

2. Remove Ads

OD*
    You did a pretty dang good job.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    Nice work indeed. It looks very comfy and conceals very well.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I agree with the others; it looks good and it appears that it carries just fine. Good work and nice choice on a carry revolver.
    Last edited by gottabkiddin; July 8th, 2011 at 07:56 AM.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Nice work! Nothing wrong with learning as you go.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

GM
    It looks very good!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

DAMN! I'm not a fan of all-kydex holsters but that doens't look like a DIY at all! I think you just found your new part time job.

mkh
    It seems a little large but it conceals well. If it is comfortable then leave it alone.

Looks great to me, wouldnt be hard to believe that is a professional mad eholster...good job.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Thanks all! Very encouraging thread, makes me want to get back to the shop and work on another holster.

I took a fair bit of prep time to get my shop ready to do this stuff, so I intend to make quite a few holsters for myself and others. Bought myself an arbor press and a set of dies for the rivets (bored out the end of the press to fit the die) built jigs to form the belt loops uniformly to fit a 1.5" belts, and dedicated a decent electric griddle to the job of heating up sheets of Kydex. I tried setting up a shopvac intake in a spot that would catch all of the shavings while I used my Dremel to cut and sand the material, but the particles seem too heavy to be easily whisked along like sawdust. I would really like to get my hands on a belt sander for speedy finishing, but for now the Dremel works, and is effective enough.

Very nice holster! You've done a fine job and I agree with the others in saying it looks comfortable and conceals nicely.
    Sig Sauer P250
    Member-GeorgiaCarry.org
    US Navy 84-93

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    It seems a little large but it conceals well. If it is comfortable then leave it alone.
    I admit that is the one thing I would change if I was starting from scratch. I placed the lower two rivets prematurely, forcing me to make it probably 3/4" wider total than I'd ideally like it to be. I think I'll trim down the top edges a bit more, but the lower end gives it quite a nice bit of stability that I won't likely get just from the belt. Resting against the top of my shorts seems to give the holster a very even feel.

I may also add rivets to firm it up once I remove the extra material, as right now I think the retention may suffer.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Not bad at all. I made a kydex holster for my 4566 using only hand tools (files, razors, etc.) and the belt sander would be a nice accessory. I agree that you might trim a bit under the grip for more finger clearance. The nice thing is you can keep trimming until you get what you want.

I didn't like how the rivets turned out (pounding with a hammer isn't the way to go) so I resorted to screws/nuts. I was also surprized at how much the kydex sheets shrink when heated.

Good job again!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I think it looks great. My son in law bought me a 4x36 belt sander from Harbor freight. It works great. I see 20% discount coupons in all of the gun mags for HF.
    Best wishes.
    Jeff
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links