wilderness zip slide holster

This is a discussion on wilderness zip slide holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ok. so I was in front of the tv last night catching up on the tivo'd shows. shooting gallery was on. mike banes was at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wilderness zip slide holster

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar

wilderness zip slide holster

ok. so I was in front of the tv last night catching up on the tivo'd shows. shooting gallery was on. mike banes was at gunsite talking concealed carry....cool. He was talking to Bill Murphy? an instructor and author of a few books? Bill was really plugging wilderness products. I know, gunsite and wilderness have a close 'relationship'. I have heard many good things about their belts, but Bill said the zip slide holster is the only holster he uses,and kinda raved about the thing.
    Has anyone ever tried one? I like to hear some comments on it. The barrel is open but the trigger guard is enclosed. I worry about sitting down in a chair and hitting the muzzle and popping the gun out of the holster. With the accolades it received on the show, I am sure this is not the case, but wanted to heare from my CC brothren before shelling out some cash on a possible holster drawer filler.
    Thanks in advance.
    http://thewilderness.com/catalog/pro...products_id/22

I don't know if I copied the link right or not.??
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

2. Remove Ads

Looks great, but I am so used to a canted forward holster that straight draw ones mess me up.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    ok. so with this many views and no replies, it either means no one has info or I made alot of people mad somehow. lol???
    If you have no first hand knowledge then if you get a chance, take a look at the link and give me your opinion.
    thanks
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Lead Moderator
    Snowdoc, I never knew Wilderness made holsters. I imagine lots of others didn't either. doesn't look like something I would like but to each their own.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Ill pass its close to the yaqui(sp) slide holsters and they dont hold for crap for my taste ..

I didn't know wilderness made holsters either other than the safepacker

I agree with Bud; looks like a yaqui slide with a different name. Never tried either, and there is a lot of gun exposed, which isn't good. Doc, give it a try and let us know!

I owned one for a full-size 1911. It concealed nicely but the factory Colt front site would catch every time on it during the draw. That could cost me my life in a S/D situation so I sold it.

FWIW, I took Bill's CCW class with FTA and he wore the Wilderness slide for pretty much the entire 2 day class, with both a blue gun and the real thing, standing and sitting. It looked like it stayed fairly snug and it kept his gun close to his body. I watched him draw and reholster dozens of times and it never seemed to give him any trouble like sticking on a draw. One of the reasons he likes them is that unless the gun is drawn straight up, it is very hard to draw, making a gun grab less likely. Any angle other than straight up "locks" the gun in the holster. Another reason was the velcro straps made it easier to put the holster on and take it off w/o loosening or removing his Widerness belt. He did say about a week of break-in time is required for the fabric (ballistic nylon?) of the slide.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by symr00
    I owned one for a full-size 1911. It concealed nicely but the factory Colt front site would catch every time on it during the draw. That could cost me my life in a S/D situation so I sold it.

I own two Zip Slide holsters. The first one I got for a Glock 23.

It works pretty well (actually used it today) when I use an instructors belt. When the hand gun is not in the holster it blends in with the belt & no one notices it. The reason I used it today was I had to go into a Federal Courthouse where carry is NOT an option. My vote, it is only good for that one reason! So if you have to go somewhere you need to remove gun, you don't need to remove holster & most sheeple will not see an empty holster. I have used for airline travel, so when arriving at destination, all I have to do is retrieve firearm, load it & go...

As Symr00 above wrote, the second one I got was for a 1911 & I had the same result he had......I took it outside to the target range & on the first attempted draw the front sight snagged. It now sits in the unused holster drawer most of us have....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I can see a use for the holster like as described above and on casual day's at the range or around the yard or whatever. I might give it a try and see what it's all about. I will post a review on it if I do get it, good or bad!

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I recently purchased the "Zip Slide" and found it non-workable. I may be using it wrong but it seems to be very hard to holster the weapon correctly & for me it is just not comfortable.

I carry a j frame snubby;if i used one of these i'd be checking it every 5 seconds to make sure gun was not about to fall out.I'm a thumbbreak fan,even if it's a tad slower.Not a fan of any slide that i've seen so far.
    Last edited by 686; October 22nd, 2006 at 11:44 PM.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well its an interesting design...and Im not being "safe and politically correct" with that statement. I typically dont care for nylon holsters.
    Id have to play with it to give you an honest opinion.....
    I too like a canted holster 99% of the time.........
    Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

mine now resides in the trashcan, nearly impossible to get my g27 out! tight fit, hung on front sight-get ya killed

Well, I actually did buy this holster and have been using it off and on for a couple of months now. My observations are it takes a bit of time to break it in mainly for your weapon to seat without having push it in with extra force, but after it is it re-holsters just fine with just a bit of pressure applied. the holster molds itself around your weapon but actually does not retain a memory nor will it loose shape and cause the weapon to not seat snuggly after using it a lot. The other big concern from others that posted was the snagging of the front site. I have yet to have a problem with my site snagging unless I go out of my way to pull my 1911 incorrectly and the only time it did snag is when I pushed the weapon backwards the pulled up.

I believe that Wilderness re-designed this holster and possibly worked some "issues" out of them. The holster is actually durable and the nylon is not the only material holding and retaining the weapon, the nylon is also different than what is found on a typical uncle mikes for example, the material is woven tighter is the best I can describe it.

This is how they exlaine it on the site,

The belt-slide holster is constructed with a tough 100D Cordura® nylon skin wrapped around a heat-molded polymer core. It is sewn and molded to the specific type of weapon, so the pistol or revolver is retained by a good friction fit when properly "pinched" upon reholstering

I actually like this holster, it might not be for everyone or for everyone's abilities but it fit's me fine and is great for the range, around the house/yard, training, etc. It's not my choice for EDC but that isn't what I bought it for either.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links