Gunbelts.....

This is a discussion on Gunbelts..... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Having trouble deciding between a 1 1/4" and a 1 1/2" belt. thoughts?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunbelts.....

Gunbelts.....

Having trouble deciding between a 1 1/4" and a 1 1/2" belt. thoughts?
    "In EMS, death is our dance partner. We push it away, move it closer, move around it. Sometimes it leads, and other times it does not, depending on the skill of the dancer and the music being played." -Tracey Loscar, MCIP

2. Remove Ads

I go the 1.25 route since almost all of my pants will not support a gun-belt that is double thickness and over 1.25"

If you are constrained to dress slacks / dockers, you will llikely have a hard time with wide belts. Other pants, not so much. Granted, the thicker the belt, the better it helps you stabilize.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

This is what I use. Not sure if it will fit the bill for you. They have others to look at..

BlackHawk CQB Tactical Belt BDU Belts & Accessories (S69 1046) - QMUniforms.com
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Dragon_medic we need more info on what type pants you will be wearing. A 1 1/2" belt will go great with Jeans, Shorts, Docker style, 511 ect. If you are wearing dress slacks a suit, ect a 1 1/2" belt will look out of place and would rec you go with a 1 1/4". A good dual layered 1 1/4" belt will certainly support most guns. We sell alot of 1 1/4" belts to LEO's and State and Federal Agencies.

Also keep in mind your holster. Are your holster slots 1 1/2" or made for a 1 1/4". If you put a 1 1/4" belt in a 1 1/2" holster slot you will realize holster movement.

Hope this helps and good luck in your quest.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

I have AG Gunleather belts, 1 1/2 and 1 1/4. Outstanding quality. I usually wear the 1 1/4. Supports everything I have, from a Smith 60 or Beretta 85 worn IWB, or a SIG 229 or Smith M&P worn OWB. Seems like the smaller belt is not so noticeable. I wear it with a summer shirt and shorts, and it is not a banner.

sorry for the lack of clarity. specifically, I'm looking at Tucker Gunleather's Latigo Canyon belt, to be used in conjunction with their Texas Heritage IWB. I typically wear Wrangler cargo pants. at the moment, I'm wearing a ridiculously wide rigger's belt a friend gave me. (1 3/4").

so, to reword and/or clarify what I'm after, I'd prefer a thinner belt in order to avoid chafing my gut if I sit down with my shirt untucked (something I cannot do with the rigger's belt) and I'm wondering if I'll lose anything with a 5" 1911 IWB by going with the 1 1/4" instead of 1 1/2"
    "In EMS, death is our dance partner. We push it away, move it closer, move around it. Sometimes it leads, and other times it does not, depending on the skill of the dancer and the music being played." -Tracey Loscar, MCIP

Since I cannot be armed at work (a school), I have only 1.5" Wilderness Instructor Belts that I use in jeans. I also have a great High Noon leather belt...great leather belt for everyday slacks (still 1.5").
    In dress clothes, on rare occasions, I pocket carry.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; July 13th, 2011 at 11:29 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    I currently wear a 1.5" belt I got at Wal-Mart for $12.00. Faded Glory is the name of it. It's thick, won't bend when you squeeze the sides together and holds the heaviest weapon i have without any movement or sliding. You don't have to spend $40+ to get a good sturdy belt.

I wear a suit everyday. A 1.25" belt would be much better for the slacks and suits. This 1.5" fills the loops completely and when you go to tuck the left over end after cinching it tight, it barely fits into the first loop along with the rest of the belt. It fits, but there is NO room left in there. Casual dress works great with the 1.5".
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

I currently wear a 1.5" belt I got at Wal-Mart for $12.00. Faded Glory is the name of it. It's thick, won't bend when you squeeze the sides together and holds the heaviest weapon i have without any movement or sliding. You don't have to spend $40+ to get a good sturdy belt.
    What does your heaviest weapon weigh? I went through 3 or 4 of those Faded Glory belts from Walmart carrying my 1911 Commander. Not one of them lasted more than a couple days before it was too stretched and sagged to hold my pistol properly. You're right, you don't have to spend $40+ to get a good sturdy belt, you just have to be a leather worker, know a leather worker, find a good gun belt used, or do what I did and get a Bianchi gunbelt (I got the velcro one because the clips wouldn't fit through my belt loops). It was $30 from CTD.

If you carry anything that weighs more than an empty Glock on one of those faded glory walmart belts, you're wasting what you spent on the belt, and if you use the kind of holster I do (a Desantis Dual Carry) the slight belt movement can easily hamper your draw in a stressful situation. My cheap walmart belts not only stretched too much to hold my gun and holster without movement, but they would have to be torqued down so tight it hurt my stomach if I wanted it to hold my gun up at all. This Bianchi belt just rides my hip bones and doesn't go anyplace. I get a fast, smooth draw and my holster doesn't move unless I move it.

From someone with experience... Get a REAL gun belt, the "leather" ones from walmart are NOT sufficient unless all you carry is an LCP or something ultra lightweight. The leather isn't even straight cut leather, it's processed (chopped up and glued back together in the shape how they make plywood or paper, then coated with that "fake leather film" that peels off after awhile) and isn't nearly thick enough, sturdy enough, or strong enough to properly hold a gun and holster.

Again... I urge you to get something designed for the job rather than making do with a lesser belt. You will notice the difference (and I used to be one of the "I don't need to drop that much on a belt" crowd myself... until I tried a gun belt.)

I've pretty much come to the same conclusion myself, hence my intent to purchase a gunbelt from Tucker.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rail Driver View Post
    What does your heaviest weapon weigh?
    It's a S&W 457 (29 ozs. empty) loaded with 8 rounds of 230gr. 45's. Even put my 5" Gov. 1911 on it and it sits just fine.
    I went through 3 or 4 of those Faded Glory belts from Walmart carrying my 1911 Commander. Not one of them lasted more than a couple days before it was too stretched and sagged to hold my pistol properly.
    Going on a few months now with mine and it hasn't sagged, stretched or warped in the least little bit
    You're right, you don't have to spend $40+ to get a good sturdy belt, you just have to be a leather worker, know a leather worker, find a good gun belt used, or do what I did and get a Bianchi gunbelt (I got the velcro one because the clips wouldn't fit through my belt loops). It was $30 from CTD.

If you carry anything that weighs more than an empty Glock
    I do, and sometimes it's a loaded Glock 29
    on one of those faded glory walmart belts, you're wasting what you spent on the belt, and if you use the kind of holster I do (a Desantis Dual Carry)
    I use a Garritys Gun Leather InConspicuous for my 457 which has a metal clip and never moves and a High Noon for the G29
    the slight belt movement can easily hamper your draw in a stressful situation. My cheap walmart belts not only stretched too much to hold my gun and holster without movement, but they would have to be torqued down so tight it hurt my stomach if I wanted it to hold my gun up at all. This Bianchi belt just rides my hip bones and doesn't go anyplace. I get a fast, smooth draw and my holster doesn't move unless I move it.

From someone with experience... Get a REAL gun belt, the "leather" ones from walmart are NOT sufficient unless all you carry is an LCP or something ultra lightweight. The leather isn't even straight cut leather, it's processed (chopped up and glued back together in the shape how they make plywood or paper, then coated with that "fake leather film" that peels off after awhile) and isn't nearly thick enough, sturdy enough, or strong enough to properly hold a gun and holster.

Again... I urge you to get something designed for the job rather than making do with a lesser belt. You will notice the difference (and I used to be one of the "I don't need to drop that much on a belt" crowd myself... until I tried a gun belt.)
    Your experiences with Wal Mart belts shouldn't necessarily mean that EVERYone should not buy one, nor does my experience with this particular belt mean everyone SHOULD buy one. It's simply an option for folks and mine has worked out just fine. You may not have gotten the same Faded Glory belt that I did, because they have about 15 different styles, sizes, and thickness to those belts on that rack. I went through every single style until I found the thickest one and tried squeezing the sides together and simply could not do it.

Because of this particular belt I am still in the " I don't need to drop that much on a belt" crowd, and will be unless/until it craps out on me.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

The 1.5" AG Custom Gun leather belt I have will fit through the loops of my Jeans as well as slacks (dockers) I own without any issues.

For my purposes I wouldn't even consider a 1.25in. belt, I wear jeans 99% of the time. When I'm not I'm in khaki's and the 1.5in. belt doesn't stand out, nor does it in shorts or anything else. Pretty much it fills the belt loops and works.

On the cheap belt discussion, once I wore my first real gunbelt that was the last time I wore a normal department store belt for any reason. I would have been in your shoes saying similar things deadguy, but my experiences since then have completely changed my mind. I've ruined so many cheap belts that felt thick and seemed to hold up and even some that were marketed as gunbelts. I like carrying my 5in. 1911, and I carry all day usually 14+ hours at a time and I don't like keeping my belt tight as it upsets my stomach. So I require a really stiff belt to keep my heavy gun in check, without putting too much pressure on my body and for me without a gunbelt I wouldn't carry for 8 hours let alone all day every day. Now holsters come into play here too, for instance if your running a high ride rig, with a long gun you will have more belt issues than a lower slung rig in most cases. IWB it's less of an issue, but still can be. Overall though just my experiences.

Take care!

Luke

I own a number of very solid 1.5" gun belts; Galco, Wilderness 5 stitch, Woolfe Gunleather. I haven't even tried to put one through dress pant loops yet, but I wear mine constantly with shorts and jeans. The 1.5" seems as small as I'd go and expect it to carry the weight of my 5" 1911 well.

I haven't had any problems with 1.5" gun belts not fitting in my belt loops, but I don't have any fancy, expensive suits, either. If I bought a pair of pants that wouldn't fit the belt, I would take them back.

I use one I made myself, and am currently making another in black.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links