Modding Galco Fletch

Modding Galco Fletch

This is a discussion on Modding Galco Fletch within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to remove the snap retainer and snug it up a tad. Snap retainer is just in the way and under stress will be ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JD

Thread: Modding Galco Fletch

Modding Galco Fletch

I want to remove the snap retainer and snug it up a tad. Snap retainer is just in the way and under stress will be an issue. I know I could train extra for it, but why add to the challenge.

What is the best way? Cut it off and finish the edge? How?

Thanks!

JD
    Administrator
    I've trimmed a few holsters and prefer to use an exacto knife and large 100W soldering iron to treat the edge. Pending on color you can get some Kiwi leather dye to treat the new edge as needed.

Simply trim off what you don't want and reform the edges with the iron.

I can get some close up pics of a holster I "fixed" later this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I've trimmed a few holsters and prefer to use an exacto knife and large 100W soldering iron to treat the edge. Pending on color you can get some Kiwi leather dye to treat the new edge as needed.

Simply trim off what you don't want and reform the edges with the iron.

I can get some close up pics of a holster I "fixed" later this evening.
    Well that sounds pretty easy.

What about snugging the holster up a bit. It's pretty tight right now, but I think it could be a bit tighter. My understanding is that the purpose of the snap retainer is for law enforcement to keep people from snatching the weapon. Not to secure the weapon in the holster during normal use.

I don't want the weapon to have retention issues. Would wetting it and letting it shrink do the trick?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HomerJay View Post
    Well that sounds pretty easy.

What about snugging the holster up a bit. It's pretty tight right now, but I think it could be a bit tighter. My understanding is that the purpose of the snap retainer is for law enforcement to keep people from snatching the weapon. Not to secure the weapon in the holster during normal use.

I don't want the weapon to have retention issues. Would wetting it and letting it shrink do the trick?

After looking at the Fletch, I wouldn't cut the retention strap as that holster top looks too open without it and a sever lack of rigidity. What kind gun is this for? If you don't want the strap, I suggest that you sell the holster here or on eBay and get a Combat Master or Concealable Belt Holster (assuming they are available for your gun), that way you're not compromising the structure of the holster.

+1 on this.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I cut off the thumb snap and retention strap on a Gould and Goodrich that looks a lot like the Fletch and the thing lost almost all of its shape and would flop open.

I ended up throwing it away.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Wow. I don't want to ruin it. It looks thin - not very structural. I'll need to look at it again. I like it because it is curved to fit my body and also fits my full size beretta 96. I carry a Px4 .40 normally.

Links