Automobile concealment

This is a discussion on Automobile concealment within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have thought about this topic and with a basic sedan not a lot of good options, that are really secure. Then I had to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Automobile concealment

I have thought about this topic and with a basic sedan not a lot of good options, that are really secure. Then I had to ask myself what is my real goal. Sure to keep firearm from getting stolen, but beyond that is it expense, liability, having my own gun used against me, etc.

From expense standpoint a good safe installed will cost as much as basic gun. And if someone breaks into your vehicle you have a lot of damage to vehicle to consider.

If you are NRA member you have gun insurance of I think $1,000 with $100 deductible. So if have used gun, say police trade in, only risking a $100, assuming assessed at full values. Not big bucks.

From liability standpoint the around $40 cable secure it should give you as much liability protection as costly safe if both are breached. Granted the bolted down types more likely to hold up under assault. Still if you made a good faith effort and the thing, I think, is CA or something approved. CA good for something. Just be sure officer notes on report you had cable safe.

And even inexpensive cable safe keeps gun safe from young children, which is a true concern.

I also like the old Smith semi autos often available as police trade in. With double action first shoot can leave with round in chamber while in console.

Often you can take loaded mag with you into work environment/wherever, but not gun. These old Smiths have a mag disconnect, that renders gun inoperable without mag. Another thing to think about.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    I understand, I am not your wife though
    Boy I'm relieved to hear that LOL
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

For Jeeps, trucks, SUVs and commercial vehicles:

In my Jeep, I have an underseat lockable drawer made by these folks: Tuffy Security Products

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    Boy I'm relieved to hear that LOL
    Me too! lol

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    The only thing I don't like about the cable lock ones is that the cable can be snipped, and the lockbox moved elsewhere for opening later. I'm sure the cables aren't easy to cut, but still. And I know drilling holes isn't for everyone, but it is a little more secure in my opinion.
    You can actually buy cables that have built in alarms. I believe they go up to 120 decibels, which is more than enough to make the thief drop whatevers in his hands and take off. That should put to rest any worries of its getting cut.

VIP Member
    For the Z I use a Nano cable locked to the seat posts, my 4Runner has an extra compartment as part of the glove box that when closed is unnoticeable and will fit a GM 1911.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I love those console vaults, and if I didn't put so many miles on a vehicle -- typically 40K to 50K per year -- that would be my obvious choice for the truck. But I worry about using the truck up and needing a new one and then having to get another console vault. They don't come cheap.

I think the cable system is adequate for most applications, that is just my opinion though, but I think with the amount of time that a weapon stays in the little safe that's tied to the seat post with that cable it's probably okay. I'm only putting a gun in there for short periods of time, otherwise it's on me. Same for the bolt on types, they're more than adequate for me for the relatively short time a gun will be in there. And with the bolt on or the cable tied system I have a portable system that I can move to the next vehicle I own.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Check out grassburr.com. With the cover over the holster it looks like a CD case. This system also alows easy access to your weapon. I am going to try one of there holsters my self.

farmerdon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links