Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Video I Made

15K views 89 replies 33 participants last post by  QKShooter 
#1 ·
I've decided to start making a little mini-series on youtube. I've got 9 episodes scripted out and have begun filming several days ago on them. I finished episode 3 first because all of the filming is done in house so it was the easiest to finish. It is about different holster types. Here it is:

I imagine it will take me several months to finish all of the episodes. The reason I decided to make these is mostly to help out newbies. Most of the information I'm presenting are things I wish I had known about when I started carrying 15 years ago. I believe 2 of the episodes I have planned will be over controversial topics we've argued on a lot around here. However, I do plan to be fair and balanced and present both sides to the argument as best as possible and let the viewer decide. If anyone wants to see the scripts send me a PM and I'd be happy to send you copies of them so you may give any input you think it needs before I finish filming the videos.

The first 9 episodes will be:

1) How to choose a handgun and caliber
2) Gun vocabulary and acronyms
3) How to conceal a handgun
4) Stupid Gun Free Zones
5) Situational Awareness
6) Replica BB and Airsoft guns
7) To Chamber or Not to Chamber
8) Other forms of self defense
9) Caliber of Choice

I doubt very seriously anyone on this forum will have any beef with anything I depict in these except for episodes 7 and 9. And as I said, I plan to present both sides of the controversy fairly.

Oh - and I'm also going to be doing some gun reviews but they won't be any specific episode, those will be separate.

See less See more
#44 ·
One area that was always stressed during the instructional phase was "vicarious liability".

You know Old School you are right. In theory if a person used this video as a training tool and was injured due to a technique the maker could be held liable.
Not directed at you personally adric but anyone.

#45 ·
adric22 said:
I guess that is why people always butt-heads with me is because they always perceive that I am trying to say I know better. In reality I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a post where I have attempted to say my way is better.
Then I recommend you state (verbally and in writing) at the beginning and end of each video that you do not have any firearm instructor credentials, and that you have not attended any defensive or combat firearm classes...that the techniques in your videos are your "good ideas" or you read about them on the internet.

Although you don't say your way is better, but you present your ideas in manner that indicate your way is better--especially to those who don't know the difference between a good technique and a bad/dangerous technique. If you are true to your word above, include the caveat at the beginning and end of each video.

#47 ·
Actually, I believe this is an excellent idea. I will put a small disclaimer screen in front of the other videos as they are made. That is something I've never really needed to worry about with my other bajillion videos I've made.

#49 ·
Adric22 - nicely produced video. I do have one suggestion for improvement. Your holsters present a fairly narrow selection of available holsters/types, particularly for belt-mounted holsters. I saw kydex and nylon/neopreme, but I did not see any leather holsters. I realize you can't have one of everything available for your videos, but at least mentioning some other options, possibly with pictures from holster-maker web sites (with permission of course) may be worthwhile to your viewers.

#50 ·
We actually have some leather holsters, but we never use them and I didn't see that their use was particularly different from how other holsters shown would work. My wife does have one of those leather "supertuck" holsters that allow you to tuck in your shirt. I sort of regret not putting that one in the video, but never even thought about it. Although several of those holsters shown were hers. She actually likes the Remora ones herself, I can't stand them. But I showed it anyway to try to provide a fair and balanced view. We have probably 10 other holsters I didn't show, but I didn't figure their use was particularly different than similar ones I showed.

#52 ·
Adric22... If someone is offering out of the goodness of their heart, tuition at a defensive pistol course, I would find a way there....I have never seen such an offer made in this forum or others I am a member. I would seriously consider this.

#54 ·
Yes, it is a generous offer. But I can afford the tuition on my own, as well as the airfare. But it is very difficult for me to get away from home like that. I have a business to run, I have a daughter I have to take to school every day, and many other responsibilities. Once per year or so when my wife gets vacation time at work, sometimes we try to make a family trip which requires a lot of preparation. If I had to choose between taking that course or taking my family to Paris, I'm afraid the pistol course is back-burner. I chose not to respond to the offer, not because I wanted to scoff at it, or say that I didn't need it, which is how I figured any response would be interpreted. But since a response is required, I hope it is understood why I cannot accept it.

#56 ·
I notice that several times you draw the gun from the holster you are demonstrating, but you have a loose / misaligned grip on the gun.

Any time you are drawing the gun, you should have a proper firing grip on it, for a few reasons. One, it builds muscle memory. Two, having a proper grip assists in indexing the trigger finger on the frame way from the trigger. Three, it decreases the chance of dropping the gun.

I also notice that several times when you holstered the guns, you covered your own hand with the muzzle. This is never an acceptable practice, and certainly not something that should be offered in a video which looks like an instructional video.

I am not mentioning this to "pick on you", but rather to highlight the safety aspects of what you've posted.

Matt

#57 ·
Which is why I suggested he could greatly improve his credibility if he would collaborate with another more experienced and trained person with decent gun handling skills.

He is really opening himself up to civil liability. I'm not sure a simple disclaimer will suffice. It may help, but juries do funny things, in my opinion.

#60 ·
I want you to ask yourself a question... And be honest with yourself. If you'd never seen me on this forum before and we didn't have any previous history, and somebody was asking a question about which holster to choose and another person posted this video on here... Would you have spent so much time picking it apart? I have to wonder how much additional scrutiny my video has endured simply because of who I am, and not so much the content of the video.
What you can't seem to grasp, these folks are being kind to you, it is because you're a member here the reviews aren't more scathing.

Reactions: SpencerB
#66 ·
Again, you are trying to make this about you.

You are demonstrating unsafe practices in your video. If you were truly serious about this, that fact would cause you to take down the video until you fix it.

Matt

#71 ·
You don't see anything in the video that could get someone hurt?

YOU POINTED A GUN AT YOUR OWN HAND OVER A HALF A DOZEN TIMES!!!

Your trigger finger is not indexed properly in several places.

If you were truly responsible as a gun owner, you would take the video down until you fix it.

Again, you demonstrated unsafe gun handling REPEATEDLY.

#74 ·
Hey Adric, I am VERY much a novice. I need to get some pistol training, and this is more glaring after reading the reviews from the more experienced members here. Like you, I did not see the problems pointed out. I saw a video that was nicely edited and well produced.

I did not agree with the serpa choice but hey, I figured to each his own. I purchased one too when I first brought my firearm...I'm about to get rid of it once I can pick up a leather OWB.

I know you feel that people here are picking on you, but please take the advice. In all honesty I am your target audience. New to CC (about a year or two now) and as stated earlier I missed a lot of the errors that were pointed out. I also thought that using the Uncle Mike's as a SOB was a good idea. Someone gave me one for lefties and I was thinking about trying it out around the house.

So please, listen to this noob. Get some training, at the very least edit the things pointed out by lima, matt, bark'n and others. I am not trying to pick on you as I am in no position to do so; however, I am in the position to tell you that the video is misleading. I was misled.

I will still say well edited and well produced though.

#75 ·
Why am I responding to this...

I won't watch the video. I cant bring myself to do it, but I've read every post in this thread and I pretty much know what it has in it.

I'm a mortician and have been for over 15 years. I know how to embalm a body and I do it very well. It's the only thing I do that I consider myself an expert at, and the only thing I would even attempt to video as an instructional tool for anyone (but legally I can't). I teach apprentices how to do what I do. I give seasoned embalmers tips I have learned through the ears, and I still learn something new when I go to seminars or talk to/assist other embalmers.

My point is, stick to what you KNOW and you are an expert at for instructional videos. 15 years a concealed carrier does not a firearms expert make. 15 years training to be a firearms expert does.

#77 ·
Adric22,

You say that you would have gotten training if it were local. Tac Pro is located in Stephenville (less than one hour from you), and is priced the same as Tactical Response (most everyone is roughly $200 a day). You could take a weekend course and sleep in your own bed at night.

Also, you seem to think people are out to get you because of your past comments. I can't comment on that because I don't know you or your postings from Adam. I only drop in on this forum from time to time and I really don't know who is who. Don't care. But, I do know that you are less than skilled, safe, or qualified when it comes to self defense.

Finally, if you truly want to be a practitioner of gun and martial art skills, I would suggest that you look into a ECQC course by SouthNarc. After a weekend with him, you will throw away most of what you learned in the dojo.

#78 ·
Adric, it's a free country, you can make whatever video you want. However is it wise for you to make and post a video like this? Pistol craft is not at the same level as a video about painting a room in one's house. Disclaimer or not, injuries could happen, a life could be lost.

One day, you/we could read a story somewhere titled "Man Accidentally Kills Neighbor While Practicing Online Gun Lesson"

Be cautious with this.

#79 ·
Well, now that this video has been thoroughly critiqued, I look forward to all your videos of how this should have been done.

I can spend at least two or three weeks watching all the various gun videos available on Youtube. Experts abound. At some point in time, you have to use your own good judgement. We should all do that, assuming of course that you possess good judgement. If you don't, then it's time to bring in your lawyer, who will offer a jury your excuses for lack of judgement and why you should be compensated for it.

Of various videos that I have seen, this one was nicely done.

#81 ·
Fascinating thread...
There must be "more to the story" than what I am gathering from this thread alone, and a video displaying holster & carry positions that could be used for concealed carry.

Watched the video that the OP posted on page 1, and I thought he did really well.

I noted the (improper) way he holstered some of those firearms. - But it might be forgiven because of the way he was facing in relation to the camera, and how he was trying to display the differing holster styles for the viewers.
Maybe in the future, you could show the holsters from a different angle, so you don't muzzle sweep your palm.

I'll definitely check out the rest of your videos in this series.

#85 ·
OK. I need to chime in here.

If you were NOT a member of this forum & I discovered your Video on YouTube and posted it here for viewing and evaluation - our members would rip you absolutely to shreds.

Yes, they would.

It is BECAUSE you are a member here...coupled with the fact that our members are aware of our DC forum rules as they pertain to the treatment of fellow forum members that you are not "getting hammered" far, far, worse.

The majority of our members are trying hard to exercise some tact and they are attempting to be polite and offer up an honest critique & constructive criticism.

I completely understand your intention in making the Video and your intention is good.

There is an "old saying" and that holds true here:

"The Road To Hell Is Paved With Good Intentions."

Were I you, I would "pull" that video & remake it - AKA "Take Two"

Credit where credit is due...your video skills are quite good and you express and "project" yourself very well and you are "well spoken" & easily understood.

Grading your video on its "Instructional Merit" & "Informational Merit" it is not very good in many ways...and in a few ways it's downright terrible.

I honestly believe that now that you have had some honest & straightforward critique - you might possibly want to do a re-make and see if that new video goes over better.

This one is going over like the infamous "Lead balloon" and it is not because folks don't like you personally.

Our members are getting a bit miffed because you are coming across as staunchly defending a piece of work that is just not very good or qualified as an instructional firearm video.

I am certain that some of our members who ARE trainers & firearms instructors have clicked on this thread...watched the video...gave themselves a "Sheesh!" "Oh Cripes!" & a facepalm and just clicked back off this thread without even bothering to post a comment.

That's my opinion. Take it however you want to take it.

#86 ·
OK, I'll be honest... I thought you did a pretty good job with the technical stuff. You did a far better job than I could. With the content... not so much.

But hey, I thought the electric car videos were pretty cool. Did you do those conversions yourself?

#87 ·
I've decided to start making a little mini-series on youtube. I've got 9 episodes scripted out and have begun filming several days ago on them. I finished episode 3 first because all of the filming is done in house so it was the easiest to finish. It is about different holster types. Here it is:
I removed the link to your YouTube video from my response because I think your video needs LOTS of work. I was flabbergasted when I saw your video. You flagged your hand multiple times while you were holstering your weapon, which is a serious safety violation. One of the first rules of carrying a weapon is to not point it at anything you don't want to destroy. I suppose you want to destroy your hand and that's why you blatantly pointed a weapon at it? NOT a good thing to be promoting on YouTube (or anywhere else).

Also, when you pulled the gun out of the holster, you need a better grip on it. Your grip appeared very weak.

I was not too surprised to find out that you removed my comments from your YouTube site and blocked me from posting anything else. It seems that you only want responses that say "you are wonderful". Well, you won't get them from me.

Yes, I shoot and yes, I carry. I think you need to rework your video to show PROPER handgun handling techniques.

#88 ·
Okay guys.. This is going to be my last post regarding this subject. I'm sorry to be this way, but I want you to fully understand how I see what is happening here.

I made this video and it has now been seen by over 250 people. I have received quite a lot of feedback. Some of it in the comments on the video, some on this forum, some via email, some on facebook, some as youtube private messages, and also from people I know in person.

There have been some negative comments from some of my subscribers, not about the content but rather anti-gun propaganda. That is simply because this video probably should be on a different channel from the rest of my videos. So, those people aside, lets examine a summary of the feedback I've received.

I have 2 friends in law enforcement, 1 former special forces, 1 former Navy, 1 who used to run a gun store, and several friends who are CHL. Every one of them liked my video. Without telling them up front of the issues, I asked them "Did you see any unsafe gun handling in the video?" The unanimous answer was NO. Then when i mentioned the fact that I pointed my gun at my hand, I could see the look of confusion in each and every one of them.. They're like "So?" Then upon explaining some of the grief I've received on this forum I pretty much got the same reply from everyone. Essentially, they felt that certain people were looking really hard to find something wrong, and that it should have been obvious this was a video about holsters and not how to draw or holster your gun.

I've received several PM's from people on this very forum who liked the video and encouraged me to make more. One person even said they felt like the people who are critiquing me so hard have their own agenda.

I received an email from the Alan at the Remora holster company. He liked my video and thanked me for showing the Remora holster.

I did have one friend mention the same thing as Lima, about it not being recommended to wear a hoster on SOB. But he also conceded that lots of people do it anyway.

But then there are a few people on this forum who have been very strongly opposed to the video, on grounds that I'm not qualified, and have no business making videos. These are the same people who take almost every opportunity to harass me on other threads on a regular basis.

Some of these same people have taken it upon themselves to post multiple negative comments on my youtube channel. Normally I believe in free speech and if you look at my other videos you'll find that I tend to leave negative comments in place, even if I don't agree with them or even if they insult me directly. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Unfortunately, some of the users on this forum have taken it upon themselves to repeatedly post the same derogatory comments over and over on my video. At which point it no longer becomes an opinion, but rather harassment. So I have blocked those users and removed their comments.

I do respect other people's opinions and I take gun safety very seriously as many of you know already. Now, had anyone outside of the handful of people on this forum asked me to re-do the video, I would have done it. But I've come to the realization that no matter how the video is made, no matter how perfect it is, certain people on here will find a reason to dislike it. And since the only objections I'm seeing are coming from those particular people, at this point I have decided not to remake it.

I'm also going to continue making the other videos, but to avoid future harassment I will not be posting them on here when they are finished.

#90 ·
"Okay guys.. This is going to be my last post regarding this subject."

"I'm also going to continue making the other videos, but to avoid future harassment I will not be posting them on here when they are finished."

I guess we're about done here then...since you feel that you are being harassed rather than honestly critiqued.

In addition you have stated that you'll no longer be responding to comments in this thread & I take that to mean that (after communicating with Law Enforcement, the Navy, & a Gun Shop Owner & the Remora Holster Man) you now firmly believe that your instructional holster Video is "Quite Good Enough" as is.

OK then.

The thread is now closed....which will serve the useful purpose of curtailing any further harassment and hate-mongering diatribe from our uneducated & highly vindictive member base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.