Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Video I Made

15K views 89 replies 33 participants last post by  QKShooter 
#1 ·
I've decided to start making a little mini-series on youtube. I've got 9 episodes scripted out and have begun filming several days ago on them. I finished episode 3 first because all of the filming is done in house so it was the easiest to finish. It is about different holster types. Here it is:

I imagine it will take me several months to finish all of the episodes. The reason I decided to make these is mostly to help out newbies. Most of the information I'm presenting are things I wish I had known about when I started carrying 15 years ago. I believe 2 of the episodes I have planned will be over controversial topics we've argued on a lot around here. However, I do plan to be fair and balanced and present both sides to the argument as best as possible and let the viewer decide. If anyone wants to see the scripts send me a PM and I'd be happy to send you copies of them so you may give any input you think it needs before I finish filming the videos.

The first 9 episodes will be:

1) How to choose a handgun and caliber
2) Gun vocabulary and acronyms
3) How to conceal a handgun
4) Stupid Gun Free Zones
5) Situational Awareness
6) Replica BB and Airsoft guns
7) To Chamber or Not to Chamber
8) Other forms of self defense
9) Caliber of Choice

I doubt very seriously anyone on this forum will have any beef with anything I depict in these except for episodes 7 and 9. And as I said, I plan to present both sides of the controversy fairly.

Oh - and I'm also going to be doing some gun reviews but they won't be any specific episode, those will be separate.

See less See more
#6 ·
Adric22, Nicely done. As Whec724 said, great editing and very easy to listen to. Thanks for sharing this with others interested in shooting and guns. Looking forward to future versions. Just watch those controversial topics I have seen on the forum the last weeks. They are polarizing for sure.

#8 ·
Well done.

#9 ·
Regarding the Serpa...

I'm not familiar with the Serpa holster. I must admit being a little confused on the whole holster issue. I was always trained that anytime you are drawing a weapon or even pointing a weapon, your trigger finger should be on the side of the gun, above the trigger. In fact, one of my OWB paddle holsters actually has a button which must be lightly depressed in order to remove the gun from the holster, and the location of the button actually puts your finger exactly where it is supposed to be on the gun once the gun is fully withdrawn from the holster.

So am I to understand this guy was putting his finger around the trigger as he was pulling the gun out? Or is it something I am missing in regards to the "serpa" holster?
Thank you for that explanation. I now understand the issue a little better. It sounds to me like I would probably never buy such a holster. That actually sounds crazy that the retention release would place your finger right on the trigger. Most holsters don't even have a release button and those that I've seen and own that do have a button force your finger to the "safe" position above the trigger when removing. I would not not have it any other way.

From not familiar / unsafe won't buy one to "is a good design" in 12 days?

:thinking:

#11 ·
Regarding the Serpa...
From not familiar / unsafe won't buy one to "is a good design" in 12 days?
:thinking:
I do not own any Serpa holsters. I've never even seen one. None of the models shown in my video were a Serpa. The one I was talking about with the button places your finger on the side of the gun, which I do believe is a good design. The way I was understanding the descriptions given to me about the Serpa was that it would place your finger on the trigger when pulling the gun from the holster, which I would think is a bad design. The paddle holster I'm showing in the video is made by Black Hawk.

#19 ·
Okay.. just to explain where my confusion came from.. when I asked in the other thread for an explanation of what a Serpa holster was, this is the reply I received:

The Serpa calls for you to push a retention device that is directly over the trigger. The retention is in the trigger, and to release it, you have to push it in causing your finger to be directly on the trigger, with pressure instead of along the side of the gun, above the trigger.
As I knew that my holster did not match this description, I assumed my holster was in fact not a Serpa. That is why I said I had never seen one before, because I've never seen a holster that would force your finger directly on the trigger when removing the gun. Yes - I suppose I could have googled it. But everyone on here (except me, apparently) is supposed to be an expert, so I figured I could trust the response.

maybe you could get rid of that dang bug for me.
I figured it was only a matter of time before somebody brought those up. I made those years ago. Yes, eve my own wife thinks those are immature. But the videos are quite popular and have very high ratings. And yes, I have quite a fire-ant infestation around my house. They are a very invasive and dangerous pest around this area.

Are we seeing any similarities?
Lima - Actually.. the holsters are different. The closer I look, it appears the one from their website may actually place your finger on the trigger, I guess I'd need to see an animation of the gun coming out. But mine most certainly put the release button on the slide.

#21 ·
Believe it or not, I actually get hate mail from people about those videos. They are mostly members of PETA and they say I'm being cruel to the animals. I've actually been called some names I can't repeat on here. But I usually write them back and inform them that the ant-poison is actually more cruel because they suffer for hours or days before dying. At least my methods tend to kill them rather quickly. I can't help it if I enjoy it.

#22 ·
Getting off the "SERPA" thing .. the only constructive criticism I would have would be in regards to the Small-of-the-Back (SOB) techniques you display. They are not taught in reputable schools and considered to be dangerous as you have a high likelihood of sweeping your own body. (Not to mention SOB is not generally recommended anyway as it is uncomfortable while sitting and can cause spinal damage if one were to fall on the firearm during a fight or just slipping and falling, etc).

We recently saw what happens when someone puts their finger on the trigger too soon while shooting (Guy shoots himself in the leg)... imagine doing that while the firearm is pointed at your abdomen/waist/hip. BAD BAD BAD.. There is a LOT of important stuff in there.

If one wishes to carry SOB it should be in a DESIGNATED SOB holster that holds the firearm like so (for a right-handed shooter)...

You are far more likely to draw correctly and not sweep your own body. I would never recommend a versatile holster for SOB carry that placed the firearm in the position you showed as some newbie might try it and end up very hurt while trying to perform a draw.

You have to think about the safety of your viewers and if/when new viewers or carriers will try your techniques. You never want to be responsible for showing something that could get them seriously hurt or even killed which that method of SOB carry COULD.

I've seen people carry that way and if that's a risk they want to take, okay, but I would never show it as a viable option in a video or recommend it in any way.

#25 ·
If one wishes to carry SOB it should be in a DESIGNATED SOB holster that holds the firearm like so (for a right-handed shooter)...
I've actually never seen one like that before. I've been trying to simulate how I would draw from that, and I can't quite contort my hand into that position. I actually carried SOB for the first 3-4 years I had my license because that is the only way I knew how and that is what all my friends did. It wasn't until I met some new friends who carried that showed me how some of the other holsters work. And at the time I was too poor to afford any extra holsters and when I didn't know for sure how they'd work, it was hard to justify spending the money. Of course, that was 10 or more years ago. So I haven't been using SOB in a while.

#23 ·
I REALLY... REALLY... REALLY... do not want to see this become another adric22 feeding frenzy.

This thread needs to stay on the topic of the video.

Adric asked for thoughts on his video.. not on his decisions, training, carry methods, etc. If the posts are NOT related to the video they are going to be moderated.

#26 ·
Adric22 said:
pick apart every video I make to find little things wrong to help convince people I'm an idiot and don't know what I'm talking about

ADric22 said:
I do not own any Serpa holsters. I've never even seen one. None of the models shown in my video were a Serpa.
Not too add insult to injury, but you did a pretty good job of that on your own.
If you are to continue to do videos, I strongly urge you to do more research on your gear. :yup: And yes, I am this brutal with Lima's videos as well. :gah:

#28 ·
adric22 Just so there is no confusion in regards to my posts or your PM's I am keeping this public.

You know.. if you have a problem with the content of the video, I'd be happy to hear it. But it seems you dislike the video entirely because of your dislike for me.

Also this is a free country and if I wanted to make a video about how to shoot yourself in the head, that would be my business. It seems for a change, most people enjoyed my video and my post. Why do you have to start the thread on a downhill slope?

I don't know you personally all I know about you is from your postings on this forum and that is more than enough. I do not have a personal dislike for you because as stated I do not know you however what I do have problem with is that myself along with many others on this site live in the real world and carry or have carried a firearm for a living some of us much longer than you have been alive.
We have carried said firearms on the street, the jungle, the desert and many places I am sure you have only read about. We have lived the real world and all the nastiness that goes along with it and many of your comments, ideas and posts are a bunch of horse poo but you have every right to post them. The problem is someone, somewhere may listen and that is where my issue lies.
You are absolutely correct you have the right to make whatever video you want, the problem is some new guy somewhere will listen to your advice and may get himself killed for it. You like many others on youtube with a gun and a video camera make a video to help the "Newbies" when you are nothing but newbies yourself in regards to the real world.

Just as you have the right to make any video you wish I have the right to my opinions and my opinion is that some of your advice and training will get you or someone else hurt or killed.

I will tell you what I will do just to hopefully open your eyes to the real world and because I really want you to learn to survive a lethal force encounter. If you will make your way to Tactical Response in Tennesee I will pay for you to attend a fighting pistol course. I will do this if you will go there, give it a 100% effort and listen to what they teach about fighting with a pistol not just shooting it. The course can be tough, abrasive, dirty and offensive just like real life.
I will say that I have no connection with Tactical Response and have never attended a class there but they get the point across in their training and that is what counts.

Please go to their website and let me know the dates that you can attend.

Reactions: MotorCityGun
#46 ·
Did know one see this....Adric, you need to take him up on this. Tacman, you are better than most.

Adric, you have been carrying for 15 years? Ok...:rolleyes: Now to the video, I thought that the scripting was done well, but that is about it. You cannot fool people that have been carrying and taking it seriously, we see right thru things. I wont get into it. Please take tacman advise and training offer. You will see how things should be done.

#33 · (Edited)
adric22, I really mean this in the nicest possible way, but I'm as serious as I can be. The only issue I have is you have no credibility in most of what you post!

I know you have the best possible intentions but when it comes to this video series you are planning, in other posts where you try to convince others who know better, that your method is sound and rational, you bring zero credibility to the table.

The fact that you have no idea what holster you are using, as mentioned numerous times in this thread alone, when you are presenting a video on how to properly wear a holster, is just one glaring example. And it is what causes people who know better to snicker and ridicule and confirms you know not what you speak about.

I was finally able to view the Akido video clip from your dojo you posted in another thread. The knife and gun disarming techniques showed, were down right scary. They look good in the dojo, but on the street, could really get someone killed.

The knife disarming techniques depicted in the video may work, but those particular techniques are for a "staged" and choreographed attack. They are commonly shown in a lot of martial arts classes to demonstrate how that particular martial art discipline uses leverage. They are good for Hollywood movie type knife attacks. They do not address knife attacks used by people who fight with knives. People who learned how to use a knife in jail or prison. Criminals most people are likely to deal with on the street, in real life.

A person who fights with a knife would never attack someone in the way the knife attacker portrayed in the video would. But for someone who's never been touched by violence in the real world, and never been in a fight where someone tried to kill them, those techniques look pretty cool and flashy. They think, hmmm... that must really work.

Of the three gun disarming techniques presented, one failed to misdirect the guns muzzle, and actually swept the instructors groin, chest and abdomen. The technique used with the gun at his back also was also unlikely to be successful before being shot in the back and possibly paralyzed for life. Regardless of the fact that you stated the instructor "kind of flubbed it," was immaterial. It was a faulty technique from the get go.

I know you are welcome to your opinion and free to express your opinions, but the information you are attempting to impart can literally get someone killed. And a novice who is new to guns, new to concealed carry does not know any better.

Everyone should understand that any information you glean from some forum on the internet, some YouTube video, or any other online anonymous source should be taken as pure B.S. and filtered with the understanding the person presenting it could be a complete moron. Yet people still come to forums like this expecting to learn something. This particular forum we discuss life or death issues. How to stay alive when someone is trying to kill you. It's not like we are discussing how to bake a cake, or how to tweak your software to get maximum performance from your computer or the latest craze in solar energy and electric cars.

People shouldn't, but I can assure you, people do take stuff they've learned from here and will go out and stake their life on it thinking the information they received was sound advice.

You seem to have a knack for video production. The holster video in this thread was pretty well produced. If you want credibility... If you want respect, I would recommend that you collaborate with someone a little more knowledgeable on the subject matter and produce something together. You seem to be a decent guy, but you come off as being kind of obtuse or aloof because you shrug off constructive criticism from people who know so much more and you remain close minded. You view it all as a personal attack because in your mind, you feel you already have the correct answers.

It's obvious you've never attended any professional gun training. In fact, you kind of wear it like a badge of honor. You have been offered a very rare opportunity I have never seen offered here before. You have had one of our members offer to pay for your class at a well recognized combat pistol school. So you can't say people are picking on you just to pick on you. People here are only trying to help advance your knowledge. They just find you to be a tough nut to crack.

#35 ·
adric22, I really mean this in the nicest possible way, but I'm as serious as I can be. The only issue I have is you have no credibility in most of what you post!

I know you have the best possible intentions but when it comes to this video series you are planning, in other posts where you try to convince others who know better, that your method is sound and rational, you bring zero credibility to the table.The fact that you have no idea what holster you are using, as mentioned numerous times in this thread alone, when you are presenting a video on how to properly wear a holster, is just one glaring example. And it is what causes people who know better to snicker and ridicule and confirms you know not what you speak about.
People shouldn't, but I can assure you, people do take stuff they've learned from here and will go out and stake their life on it thinking the information they received was sound advice.... You seem to be a decent guy, but you come off as being kind of obtuse or aloof because you shrug off constructive criticism from people who know so much more and you remain close minded. You view it all as a personal attack because in your mind, you feel you already have the correct answers.

It's obvious you've never attended any professional gun training. In fact, you kind of wear it like a badge of honor. You have been offered a very rare opportunity I have never seen offered here before. You have had one of our members offer to pay for your class at a well recognized combat pistol school. So you can't say people are picking on you just to pick on you. People here are only trying to help advance your knowledge. They just find you to be a tough nut to crack.
To borrow a quote--A man has got to know his limitations.

But I will follow with--once you know your limitations, seek additional knowledge and training....and learn! Bark'n pretty much summed up my opinion in a much better manner (as I'm jet-lagged). I think if you were to take additional training, learn, practice, and really internalize the imformation and training offered, I think you could put together a quality video presentation (I see that as your strength).

Please take this as it is intended--constructive criticism. It happens in all professional circles--it is intended to make you better. The point I have made to you time and time again was to improve your knowledge beyond what you've read on the internet. Many of us have had professional training in the areas you discuss. Others have had the hands-on experience and education...and still come here and read new things, seek additional training on our own and share that with the rest of the group. I have to concur with Bark'n...you don't have the credibility at this time, but that may change. Now, you could be saying to yourself--this is just an internet forum...and I would agree with you. But this is still a community of gunowners who want to learn, and take stock in an individual's credibility as determined by his/her postings. Could someone be lying? Possible, but over time, those with training/experience/education can sniff out who is making stuff up...and who has the chops.

In MY opinion only--If you want to be a credible member of this community (I'm not speaking for this forum or the owner) I highly recommend you seek training.

Reactions: claude clay
#37 ·
limatunes re post 29

possibly sweeping his leg--for practice with shoulder and SOB holsters, i will often attach a green laser. than muzzle control is easy to see and follow.

it ~looks like he swept his upper leg....hard to tell.

#41 ·
adric22 said:
If it had been a local class in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area I'd probably have taken him up on the offer. But flying to Tennessee is sort of out of the question for me. As for your definition of professional gun training, you are right. The only training I've had are the required courses by state of Texas and they really concentrate more on laws, de-escalation, etc. There was a shooting portion of the class to measure proficiency (of which I scored a perfect score) but as we all know, that is just shooting at a paper target. However, the shooting range I took my last CHL class does offer a more advanced course, I've thought about taking it, but I am not even sure what topics they cover. I'm going to ask them about it next time I'm at the range.
In case you've forgotten, find an IDPA Club in your area and attend two matches, those two matches alone will probably show you a lot about what you don't know and what you need to improve on and will steer you in the direction of more training. While IDPA is no substitute to professional training, it offers a good tool for obtaining metrics on your abilities etc.

#43 ·
OP

When I was an active LEO I held several instructor certificates over the years issued by trained and qualified professionals.

One area that was always stressed during the instructional phase was "vicarious liability".

If you are instructing (and this can include video instructions) someone in a tactic that could cause bodily harm and that tactic is used improperly because of your teaching or the tactic itself is not a proper tactic to be used in the way you instructed and it's use causes bodily harm you can be held civilly libel for damages.

Just something to think about.

OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.