My Remora Holster Review. Long w/pics.

This is a discussion on My Remora Holster Review. Long w/pics. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's a short 20 second video I just made using my iPhone, sorry about the quality, it's all I have access to atm. And before ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: My Remora Holster Review. Long w/pics.

Here's a short 20 second video I just made using my iPhone, sorry about the quality, it's all I have access to atm.

And before any critisicms arise about my technique, let me say, I've only been carrying a weapon for 2 months having never carried one before, well, I guess my knife is classified as a 'weapon' but you know what I mean. This is just a quick video showing that the holster stays in place while drawing and also when reholstering. I haven't trained to 'shoot from the hip' cowboy style or anything and I'm not trying to show off or anything. I'm seeking training as soon as I can.

Thanks for watching!

Hope this works...>cringe<

&#x202a;Drawing from a Remora Holster&#x202c;&rlm; - YouTube
    3rdGen.Glock19.TaloEdition
    Glock.Factory.NS
    Remora.#10.RFT.SS
    16.GDJHP.124g.+P
    24/7

2. Remove Ads

That's great that you found something that works. I use a Remora for my G23, quite often.

Were you aware that the Artemis is courtesy of our own RamRod ? He helped Alan quite a bit during some initial r&d.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Ya know, I do recall reading a thread somewhere that spoke of someone helping in the design of the Remora, I guess it was here! That's cool!
    Glock.Factory.NS
    Remora.#10.RFT.SS
    16.GDJHP.124g.+P
    24/7

That's an awesome Glock. I was only made aware a few days ago that stainless versions like that even exist. And I've still yet to see one in a gunstore anywhere. It is making me think it is time for a new Glock.

As for the Remora. I don't personally like them. My wife has 2 of them, one for her larger gun and one for her smaller gun. At first I was very skeptical but I tried them myself and I admit that as long as there is good pressure on the waistband, they seem to work okay. if you go to the bathroom or something, it will have to be removed first.

Thanks Adric, I don't know if it's necessarily 'stainless', all I know about it is that it's some special edition Talo version with an EXO Nickel Boron finish or plating or something applied over the tennifer finish. (and yet, I'm concerned with 'rust', hehe)

Never really bothered me that I may need to lay my gun aside while I use the bathroom. The Smartcarry is another one that some folks have issue with. If I'm in a public restroom, there's always somewhere I can find to lay my gun, wether it be on the paper dispenser or back of the comode. To each his/her own though! =)
    Glock.Factory.NS
    Remora.#10.RFT.SS
    16.GDJHP.124g.+P
    24/7

Quote Originally Posted by 3G19eXo View Post
    Devilsclaw, do you have the RFT model with reinforced top for easy reholstering?

When I first spoke with Alan about what I needed for my Glock, I asked about the retention, he tried to sway me away from getting the RFT because it wouldn't hold my gun AS tight as the version without reinforcement. He said that the RFT model was mainly produced because law enforcement officers needed a holster that stayed partially open for easy one-handed reholstering while maybe handcuffing someone or whatever other reason their other hand may be tied up.

I decided I wanted that option as well and I'm happy enough with the 'retention'. No I couldn't say that I can hold the holster upside down and the gun not fall out but part of the way this thing works is that you have some form of fastener around the holster anyways, such as a belt or drawstring or whatever, that helps with retention quite a bit.

I garauntee you I can holster my Glock and do jumping jacks and it's not going ANYWHERE!
    Yeah, I have the one with the extra reinforcement, and like you say, once in the waistband, it is definately secure enough. On the dash of the pickup, I suppose it could rattle out, but unlikely. The hold-open reinforcement does increase the girth a little bit, but I do like the fact it really covers the trigger with a strong solid material. I think if I had to do it again, I'd order the Non-reinforced version. I also read on another forum, that Remora is working on holsters specifically built for certain firearms. I suppose I could install a Chicago screw in a strategic place and tighten it up adequately.

There is also advertised, a "Stealth" brand holster which is very similar, only without the rubber bias tape around the edges. Not quite as nice, but $10 cheaper too.

BTW: Smart carrys rule! Can't finda more covert holster. I just wish they reinforced the "trigger area" a tad more. Still a little nervous about a chambered Glock or Kahr without a manual safety in the thing. The trigger can be tripped from outside the holster, although you have to really try. Murphy has a law though.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    what nonsense! I have been wearing mine for well over a year, full sized glocks, it is my best, most comfortable holster.
    as long as it is well supported with a decent belt the holster is going nowhere.
    I don't understand how people who have never seen it or tried it post their foolish assumptions
    Granted, I've never tried this holster, but I'm just curious of what you do when you have a no clip holster and have to use a public restroom. Or another scenario, a foot chase. It's all personal preference, but I could do a cartwheel and both my Kholster and Crossbreed will have my weapon right were I left it.
    FlaRon likes this.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."
    Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead74 View Post
    Granted, I've never tried this holster, but I'm just curious of what you do when you have a no clip holster and have to use a public restroom. Or another scenario, a foot chase. It's all personal preference, but I could do a cartwheel and both my Kholster and Crossbreed will have my weapon right were I left it.
    I rarely if ever use a public rest room but if need be I could either hold it in my hand or pocket it as for foot chases, why would I ever chase anyone? I'm not a cop, crime fighter or a super hero, I am just a guy with a concealed weapons permit
    PSLOwner likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    I rarely if ever use a public rest room but if need be I could either hold it in my hand or pocket it as for foot chases, why would I ever chase anyone? I'm not a cop, crime fighter or a super hero, I am just a guy with a concealed weapons permit
    Good point. I was thinking more along the lines of someone chasing you, or if you had to run for any sort of emergency
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."

Good point. I was thinking more along the lines of someone chasing you, or if you had to run for any sort of emergency
    - I have the Remora holster for a Kahr P380 and it won't shift. I've sprinted with it while crossing the street, I've jumped around, etc. It stays put. I haven't tried cartwheels or flips, but I don't see myself doing that in a SD encounter.

(I just tried a 3:1 Remora as I carry a Glock 26 backup and prefer ankle and pocket. Take with a grain of salt I only had it about a week).

I think its similar to the one you have with some sections for velcro so you can create a velcro retention strap across the back and another section for a velcro eslatic band for ankle carry (all removable of course).

Its probably the best all around backup gun holster I can imagine.

Its an excellent pocket holster even with some of the "skin" replaced by velcro- it stays put and never comes out. For anyone who uses a Nemesis its similar but a thinner, better concealment IMO. Also the optional velcro retention strap can be put on for those scenarios (wedding, dinner with inlaws, etc) where even the possibility of a slide out of the pocket holster when sitting "too deep" cannot happen. More than psychological, this is a real benefit. The velcro retention strap can be removed easily and secretly, one handed in the pocket, maintaining a G rating, when its time to change venues.

I don't usually use IWB carry. I do have likely the same highly touted hybrid holster. Its very cumbersome and while flexibile in cant and location, changing these requires a screwdriver and privacy. I always feel like it prints and like I have said if my newby skills at making people carrying at the local gun range are any indication, it does. So I was skeptical about the remora. Don't be. Its infinitely adjustable within seconds and sticks like gue. It doesn't mandate any sort of specific belt- again if a holster has a bunch of prerequisites (to the point you are dressing around not just the gun but the holster as well) then it simply fails my real world test. Remora excels in real world- it goes from pocket to IWB to IWB cant to small of back to other pocket as fast as you want in any clothes and any belt as long as you have some slight tension at the waist.

I simply used it IWB against the skin and it was fine; I did try it sandwhiched against a T shirt and polo once to test the draw. Anything I used, gun came out fine. Holster didn't move. Skin was free from irritation. There was no "holster flying out" when I drew IWB.

More importantly to me, it was the only time the 26 actually "disappeared" IWB. I tried the hybrid in all its cants and I have tried another kydex IWB in the past and the rule, for my body, was that I could either sit, or I could conceal, never both. With Remora I could easily get it to invisible and sit with zero issues.

(I should note I only test IWB and pocket carry things with shirt tucked in. I am pretty sure I, or anyone else 5'11", could conceal a Remington 870 if I was willing to go around "uber"belted, untucked and sitting stiff and uncomfortably. Ie if it doesn't pretty much pass a church dress code, I am not interested).

I suppose you could even use the velcro to McGuyver a a Belt clip on the go if you really wanted to; for me if I have to start cartwheeling around, I'll be forced to rely on the hilarios visual to stun my adversaries with laughter.

Ankle carry is tough. The Remora stickiness did help keep it in place, although the strap was too long for me. It is not the best ankle holster I have for sure but it was better than I expected- and the Remora is about a million times better than my hybrid IWB holster on the ankle, and its about a million times more functional as an IWB holster than any of my ankle hoslters. Plus it can go in your pocket.

So, if you've ever had to make clothing or etc adjustments on the move, of even see such a scenario as a possibility, and you like the idea of being able to transition your carry from ankle to IWB to pocket without ever unholstering the gun, Remora has a place. Its like a swiss army knife, maybe not the best at any one application but probably something I will find I carry around all the time. Especially if like me, you can't practically center your life around what things you can and cannot wear to make your holster a happy secret.

I have one of the leather/kydex holsters as well (mentioned in the review) and I agree, I feel that I could run and do cartwheels and never fear the gun falling out. With that said...

I also feel just as confident with my Remora. No, I haven't been in a flat-out foot race wearing it and I haven't done any backflips or any other ninja moves while wearing it but it's just as snug in there as you want it to be. That has a lot to do with the tension of how you wear your belt or how tight you tie your drawstring on those pajama bottoms.

I can take the holster out of my waist and turn it upside down with gun inside and it will not fall out, now in all honesty if I were to begin jerking it up and down trying to make it fall out then yes, it does work it's way loose and fall out. I garauntee I can put the gun back in the holster and place it back on my waistline and hang upside down from monkey bars and it's not coming out. That may be an idea for a video later, haha. There's a playground right across the street!

All you can do is try one for yourself and see if you like it, not every holster works for EVERYONE I'm slowly finding out.
    Glock.Factory.NS
    Remora.#10.RFT.SS
    16.GDJHP.124g.+P
    24/7

Very well put "1984".

This holster is perfect for those that don't want to feel forced to dress around their gun. I'm one of those people.

And I never even considered trying it as a ankle holster! Great idea!

The more I wear this thing the more Im realizing how this holster just fits every application in my day to day carry. I'm even considering dropping any ideas I had about that Raven OWB and buying more ammo instead, or maybe another Remora, just to have for backup.

=)
    Glock.Factory.NS
    Remora.#10.RFT.SS
    16.GDJHP.124g.+P
    24/7

I love the concept. This would be a great holster for switching iwb positions. I carry at the 4:00 position, but would like to have something for the car that would allow cross draw appendix to allow for easy draw while buckled in. It just doesn't pass muster for me to carry while out and walking around.

RKM
    I have a Remora for my G30, and got a bigger one that fits my USP and 1911. I love it. It doesn't move around. But, I still find myself using my Blade-Tech kydex IWB holster. I just like the positive fit of a dedicated non-universal kydex holster.

I think Remora should take their kydex RFT holsters further. Just picture a complete kydex holster body but without the belt clip. The inside which touches the firearm is bare kydex, but the outside would be Remora's rubber material. Just a thought :)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links