Tex Grebner : SERPA : Bullets to the leg

This is a discussion on Tex Grebner : SERPA : Bullets to the leg within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wanted to create a video about the SERPA holster and the incident where Tex Grebner accidentally shoots himself in the leg while using a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Tex Grebner : SERPA : Bullets to the leg

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar

Tex Grebner : SERPA : Bullets to the leg

I wanted to create a video about the SERPA holster and the incident where Tex Grebner accidentally shoots himself in the leg while using a Kimber 1911 in a SERPA belt holster. Here's the original video posted by Tex Grebner:

‪I shot myself! Original Upload!‬‏ - YouTube

I've owned SERPA holsters for many years and I own 5 of them for various handguns. I'm always tempted by their low cost and what I believe to be ease of use. But I've also come to realize they have some inherent flaws.

Questions and comments are welcome.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

2. Remove Ads

very nice video, very educational.. Thanks for posting that!

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Never was a fan of the Serpas. Never will be. Thumb breaks are operated with a natural movement not using the trigger finger. For me, they are a better design.

YMMV
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Senior Moderator
    That's a good review of the potential problems with the SERPA.

I have one. I have not used it much. My problem is that I have such tiny hands and fingers I can barely reach the release button and find myself reaching for it and I simply don't like having my trigger finger doing anything but operating the trigger.

So when it's the SERPA it's a design flaw when it's the Safariland it's a design plus; that upward tension on the gun keeps it in the retention holster. The SERPA does not secure from tension against, but rides a protrusion to the inside of, the trigger guard.

Being open to improvement in technique or equipment, and mindful of the need to make sure I continue evolving my training. I've tried real hard to make my SEPRA holster fail since it seemed to be bash the SERPA weekend on DC, tried and tried with an unloaded firearm and couldn't make it jam unless I didn't press the button (i.e. the retention I purchased the holster for) or in an unnatural manner went out of my way to hold down the wrong side of the lever, then requiring a second hand to make an attempt to grab the gun, which it couldn't because of being retained by both my hand and design working together, sand rock gravel I could not get the button to fail to work, as it just fell through the hole and against the frame and slide then out the bottom of the holster. Not once did my finger end up anywhere other than the dent in the frame at the slide lock on the Glock; exactly where I want it to be.

I did make mention of it in a past thread that the SERPA does seem to be more conducive to some firearm designs more than others, I think largely do to individual characteristics in trigger guard design.
    TN_Mike likes this.

Glock Certified Armorer

Tex deserves a lot of credit for posting the ND video. I betcha most of us have been out in the field doing exactly what he was doing. I did that type of drill for years, practicing for IPSC competitions.

Gotta keep the finger away from the trigger until ready to fire - that's my main concern.

Thanks for posting!
    Last edited by Chevy-SS; July 18th, 2011 at 04:20 PM.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Very interesting, informative, and well made video. I must have smaller hands than you, as I've never had that problem with having to curl my finger--I always keep it straight and I've never had it end up anywhere but alongside the slide. . Also, when I do use my Blackhawk (which I admit isn't very often now) I have it vertical, rather than canted forward. I prefer my Galco Avenger for my Kimber over the SERPA. I just like leather better. But you did an excellent job with the video.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Good job on the analysis and video - well done!

Very informative,Tex actually stated he was using 2 different holsters and guns,the first retention holster used a thumb type release,then when he used the Serpa holster he inadvertently flicked the thumb safety off before drawing which also set him up for the AD.I don't own or use a Serpa,but there are several that do,I like leather
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I own a Serpa but will never carry it. I get inconsistent draws from the holster, it feels like it could fall apart on my hip at anytime. No thanks I will stick to leather or my Crossbreed. ;)
    EDC: FN FNP-9 w/ three 16 rnd magazines. Mini Maglite.

" The unarmed man is not just defenseless, he is also contemptible." ~ Machiavelli.

I think this is one of the most informative posts/videos I've seen yet...good job. I've never used the serpa and now I've got a good idea how Tex's ND occured...cudos military arms.

OD*
    Excellent job.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I'm not a fan of any retention holsters.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I'm not a fan of any retention holsters.
    I agree, and especially not being in LE, I see no need for that type of holster.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by canav844 View Post
    ...sand rock gravel I could not get the button to fail to work, as it just fell through the hole and against the frame and slide then out the bottom of the holster.
    You won't have to look far to find reports of gravel and other debris tying up a Serpa. Trying to make it happen yourself is like trying to get your car to make "that" noise when you have it in the shop.
    OD* likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links