non conventional middle of the back holsters - Page 3

non conventional middle of the back holsters

This is a discussion on non conventional middle of the back holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; D.M. Bullard Bodyguard; it allows for a very natural and quick draw stroke and at this radical angle conceals a full size Government Model very ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: non conventional middle of the back holsters

D.M. Bullard Bodyguard; it allows for a very natural and quick draw stroke and at this radical angle conceals a full size Government Model very well keeping the barrel under an untucked shirt.
    DSC00776.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    D.M. Bullard Bodyguard; it allows for a very natural and quick draw stroke and at this radical angle conceals a full size Government Model very well keeping the barrel under an untucked shirt.
    DSC00776.jpg
    Yep, I have two. Very nice for the money.
    Although I never thought of them as "radical angle".

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Me too, my bladetech UCH adjust to something very near that if not that.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Well, being that a 15 degree cant is FBI standard I felt that the Bodyguards' over 30 degree was justifiably unique.

I do like the SOB and I own one for my S&W BG .380 but I just don't trust them. I find myself constantly checking if it's pushed in tight after I have been sitting. I have flash backs of an undercover op I was on, having a recorder in the small of my back, after sitting and talking to the target I got up and walked out of the establishment. The recorder fell to the ground with the target behind me. I tend not to wear the SOB too often.
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    Thomas Jefferson
    Third President of the United States

I have a SOB back holster and think it has it place. You are attending an affair where you would like to open your jacket without having your firearm exposed.

On a side note I think we have a great group of holster makes on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Well, being that a 15 degree cant is FBI standard I felt that the Bodyguards' over 30 degree was justifiably unique.
    I'll have to check mine. I thought mine was closer to FBI can't.
    Mine is for a Sig 238.

30 deg. would be unique.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Due to a bad shoulder, most of the "conventional" holsters don't work for me. The "calvary" style holsters put a lower amount of strain on a tight joint, and I don't sweep myself anymore than someone carrying in a 3 o'clock IWB does. Of course the way I pull the gun is up out of the holster (no cant), then keeping the barrel parallel to my torso I rotate it around until it gets to about the 3 o'clock position where it pivots up parallel to the ground, and I bring it across to my two handed grip. Worst case scenario I might shoot myself in the posterior, but so might a CCWer carrying it in a more traditional holster/position.

Yes, it is not as fast, but I'm not going for a quick draw competition or IDPA.

Sponsor
    I have carried a 5" 1911, sitting just behind my right hip for quite a while. I have also taught quite a few classes of CCW holders over the years. Below is a few issues with an SOB holster and why I got rid of my two designs 7 years ago.

Negatives:

Draw problems....

1. It is one of the longest draw strokes for carry. Obviously you are reaching all the way to the rear of your body or close to it, more movement than needed.

2. It can be difficult to execute this draw style without flagging what your doing
    --Covering your body with the muzzle of the weapon was addressed but unless you do it in a high life/death situation you may make a costly mistake.

3. I had alot of customers complain they couldn't reach effectively and clear the clothing easily with every attire during practice quick drawing for concealed carry. It seems as though it is more uncomfortable the older we get.

Safety.....

1. If you range practice, you should be re-holstering, some of the ranges I have been you may be flagged for potentialy covering those behind or ajacent to you, when reholstering, neccesarily the muzzle ends up pointing down the firing line on some ranges.

Gun retention....

1. A preferred gun protection method I often hear LEO customers state is weapon protection "chicken wing" elbow down on the holster just behind the hip. Much more challenging to do when it is farther to the rear with leverage being what it is.

Falling down....

1. More of a myth I think. Possibly if it is the direct middle and slip on ice it could hurt but hard to imagine causing serious problems.

Comfort....

1. Big consideration in selecting a holster. It is similar to work boots, they may all look similar but after trying different ones you may learn there is quiet a difference between styles and positions of carry.

2. Riding in a car which some do often or sitting at work can be brutal. Don't let comfort be a reason you don't carry more often.

Concealement....

1. The weapon does print more when bending over.

Now some Positives:

If you are ever robbed and you go for your wallet it will appear normal, then again there could be two bad guys so just give them the wallet and hope they don't see the gun since they may have the drop on you already. Then again draw and shoot since the current MO is for the bad guy to shoot you anyway.

Final thought...
    Obviously what works well for some doesn't for others. We each have advantages and disadvantages.

Hope some of this helps!
    Brigade GunLeather maker of custom holsters
    www.brigadegunleather.com

Custom 1911 pistolsmith Custom 1911 Pistols
    www.harpcustom.com

troyharp@brigadegunleather.com

Please contact me via phone or email for any leather holsters status or questions, thanks. 1-888-600-2377

GM
    Alessi makes the MOB Talon, an IWB MOB holster - Alessi Gun Holsters . It is a palm in MOB and it is very slim. What I do not like too much is that the leather is very stiff and rough on the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Palm out has you rotating the wrist

Not my wrist, no twist at all.

How do you draw from a palm out SOB holster without rotating the wrist at all?
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

If you are ever robbed and you go for your wallet it will appear normal, then again there could be two bad guys so just give them the wallet and hope they don't see the gun since they may have the drop on you already
    I read something on the psychology of shootings.
    For a civilian, it takes something like two seconds before your mind registers "gun"
    Then a few seconds more while your mind does, "What should I do?"
    So for two robbers, don't be surprised that if one were shot, the other may just stand there dumbfounded, or run.
    Don't count on it, but in a life or death situation, you may have nothing to lose.

Sponsor
    My dad was in Florida and was held up at gun point coming out of the motel. A guy asked for his wallet, he went to grab it and the guy behind him (surprise, didn't know he was there) grabbed it from him as he took it out. He carries but didn't while on that trip. What happened next was kinda funny. They all ran, my dad went one way the other two went the opposite way and they dropped the wallet as they bolted. Dad went back and picked it up and all was well.
    Brigade GunLeather maker of custom holsters
    www.brigadegunleather.com

Custom 1911 pistolsmith Custom 1911 Pistols
    www.harpcustom.com

troyharp@brigadegunleather.com

Please contact me via phone or email for any leather holsters status or questions, thanks. 1-888-600-2377

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Palm out has you rotating the wrist

Not my wrist, no twist at all.

How do you draw from a palm out SOB holster without rotating the wrist at all?
    I think you might have missed my other post (#40). I wonder if you please can tell me how you draw from a palm out SOB holster without rotating your wrist at all.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Calvary draw

I am new to this forum but was drawn here by this discussion. I agree with both sides of the issue, but want to interject another possibility. I use the cavalry draw when certain clothing choices are made and have done so since I was young. Is it possible that some folks just do not move like the ones you speak about? I have videotaped myself to check this out years ago and did it again just to be sure. I never sweep myself. As a matter of fact my barrel points out and down in what appears to be a safe direction until I present. The barrel consistently points down and about three feet out all the way around until I start bringing the barrel up, then my hand rotates clockwise as it comes up to the ready position. I also dare say that I do it very close to the same speed as my side draw holster.

And one more thing... My finger does not touch the trigger until I am about a 45 degree angle when bringing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    I think you might have missed my other post (#40). I wonder if you please can tell me how you draw from a palm out SOB holster without rotating your wrist at all.
    Maybe you missed my earlier post.
    If I let my arms hang naturally at my sides, my palms are facing backwards, with my pinkies out. If I bring my arms forward to my belt buckle, my palms would be in. If I did the opposite and swung my arms rearward, they would meet behind my back with my palms facing out and my thumbs touching.

Simple enough.

Someone made a very valid point though. If you draw from a palms out position, you will paint yourself as the gun comes up.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links