non conventional middle of the back holsters

This is a discussion on non conventional middle of the back holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering if anyone has ever found a middle of the back holster that does not hold the gun vertically, most conventional middle of ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: non conventional middle of the back holsters

I was wondering if anyone has ever found a middle of the back holster that does not hold the gun vertically, most conventional middle of the back holsters hold the gun with the barrel basically sitting down your crack, however i want one that holds it horizontally so that the entire gun will be in the small of my back with the barrel our to the side. If anyone has ever seen something of this sort could you please give me a tip on where to find one. If nobody has seen one maybe there are some holster makers who could consider making something of this variety... thanks.

This might help:

FIST, INC.

bosco
    Erick46590 likes this.

Senior Moderator
    DeSantis and Galco make some good ones.

Here is one that some of my customers like. It is supposed to ride just to the side of your spine.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell
    http://www.jrcholsters.com

Galco SOB

Galco SOB250.jpg

This one is SOB250 (for Sig 228 et al)
    "Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid."
    John Wayne

The Galco SOP is a very popular model. I have one for my G23 from Dillon (Precision) leather. I like it for occasional use. Not sure I would want it there all the time though.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum and prepare to get blasted.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    DeSantis and Galco make some good ones.
    Lima? Is that you reccomending a SOB holster?

Quote Originally Posted by jrcholsters View Post
    Here is one that some of my customers like. It is supposed to ride just to the side of your spine.
    What make holster is that? I like the off center position.
    Never mind, I should have paid more attention to who posted, very nice and bookmarked.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    A holstered gun in the small of the back should be carried with the barrel almost parallel to the deck with the grip pointed "up." That's not my favorite way at all, but it'd be the only way I'd put a gun behind me. If it is perpendicular to the deck with the grip pointing toward the gun hand, it's not that great an idea in my opinion.

My friend wears a Galco SOB, but off to the side a little bit.
    limatunes likes this.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

desantis sof tuk

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Lima? Is that you reccomending a SOB holster?
    The PROPER KIND of SOB.. sure! I don't have a problem with SOB carry provided it's done correctly.

Carrying with the barrel parallel to the spine with grip perpendicular? NO WAY! Lots of potential for bad things happening.

The way the OP is asking (and the holsters I would recommend) are much safer. They still aren't great for sitting in a car or in any chair with a back, mind you, and there is always the potential for spinal damage if you fall but I will give credit to that design of holster and mode of carry as viable.

The afore mentioned method (barrel up and down) NOPE! Will never recommend or endorse it.

Quote Originally Posted by FiremanPaul View Post
    What make holster is that? I like the off center position.
    Never mind, I should have paid more attention to who posted, very nice and bookmarked.
    Glad you like it. It is pretty fast at that angle and position. A whole lot safer also. I pretty much sell these to plainclothes security people and shop owners. Typically people who have to stand a lot. Sitting isn't too uncomfortable, but it impedes your draw, obviously. You also want to try to avoid open back chairs, as this will print this style of carry.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    A holstered gun in the small of the back should be carried with the barrel almost parallel to the deck with the grip pointed "up."
    Help me out here.
    I put my hand behind my back.
    The "natural" way ends with my thumb up and my pinky down.
    (the back of my hand is against my back.)
    So, it seems to me, that a proper SOB should have the grip "down" rather than up.
    When I try your way, it feels un-natural to twist my wrist 180 deg.
    ???

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Help me out here.
    I put my hand behind my back.
    The "natural" way ends with my thumb up and my pinky down.
    (the back of my hand is against my back.)
    So, it seems to me, that a proper SOB should have the grip "down" rather than up.
    When I try your way, it feels un-natural to twist my wrist 180 deg.
    ???
    Your referring to Cavalry style draw. Yes, it does seem natural to draw this way. The big concern is people accidentally shooting themselves, or others standing beside them. Not sure if it is truly any more dangerous than any other style of carry. If someone has a cranial vapor-lock, bad things can happen with any carry mode. That said, it is slightly harder to make a concealable holster this way, if it has a heavy rake to it. The butt of the weapon hangs down and wants to push out. I make one for IWB that uses a neutral rake that hides very well. It is a little slower on the draw, but hides extremely well. In the vertical position, it also makes it harder to sweep your body with the muzzle, because of the physical dynamics of the angle your elbow takes. I carry this way quite a bit with a snubby. After several back surgeries and some plates, my rang of motion is slightly screwed up. This just happens to work for me. Like appendix carry, a certain degree of thought has to go into what you are doing. Different people have different needs.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links