My new holster is hanging up in the draw (pic inside)

This is a discussion on My new holster is hanging up in the draw (pic inside) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have holsters from Milt Sparks, Don Hume, Safariland, Gould and Goodrich and a ton of others and have never had this issue. I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: My new holster is hanging up in the draw (pic inside)

My new holster is hanging up in the draw (pic inside)

I have holsters from Milt Sparks, Don Hume, Safariland, Gould and Goodrich and a ton of others and have never had this issue.

I have a new Galco Side Snap Scabbard and broke it in last night using the plastic bag method. When I'm not wearing the holster the gun goes in and out very smoothly. When I put it on the gun is hanging up in the draw.

Is there any type of lotion or anything I can put on the inside of the holster to smooth it out? It has a very rough interior and I think that might be what is hanging up the gun in the draw.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. Remove Ads

Try bagging it and wearing it around the house for a day.

bosco

Obvious question, but have you tried loosening the tension screw?

I would be VERY careful about putting anything on it. That kind of thing tends to soften the holster too much and cause it to collapse.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post

I would be VERY careful about putting anything on it. That kind of thing tends to soften the holster too much and cause it to collapse.
    There is no tension screw on that holster,Like bosco said,or you can use wax paper instead of the bag and wrap a couple layers around it,that should stretch it enough
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post

Actually there is a tension screw and it is as loose as it will go without falling out :)

I will try the wax paper and see what happens.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I would highly recommend against putting any chemicals on it. I would call Galco or email and ask them what they would like you to do to remedy the issue. Maybe they already know a great way to break their holsters in and have an easy fix before you add something to it and ruin it. JMHO. Thats a nice rig you got there!

los
    +1 on Wax Paper.

Wrap the firearm in single layer of WP, insert in holster and leave overnight. Thereafter if still too tight, "double wrap" with wp and leave overnight, again.

That should do the trick.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

At what location is it worn?
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Problem is the holster is formed OK to the gun when you are not wearing it. When it curves around your waist it grabs the pistol more tightly. Form it to the gun while it is being worn.

Tension screw being that loose sounds funny. Try forming the holster as above with the tension screw snugged a little. If it feels good after a day with the bagged gun put some lock-tite on the screw.

OMO
    bosco

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    At what location is it worn?
    Right now I am wearing the holster wit the gun wrapped in 1 layer of freezer bag and one layer of waxed paper. I did snug the tension screw after I holstered everything.

I got a VERY quick reply from Galco and they said thin people have some trouble with their holsters because it does wrap slightly more that they are designed to. The leather on this holster is thinner than any of my other holsters but it is also one of the cheapest holsters I have bought. My Versa Max is almost twice as thick.

I plan to wear it like this for the rest of the day and see what it feels like tomorrow.

Lock-tite on the tension screw after I get it formed the way I want it sounds like a very good idea.

I will post tomorrow and let you know how everything turns out and post some pictures of the holster while I am wearing it.

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You still didn't say at what location on your body it is being worn. As Boscobeans and Galco advised you, sometimes the "wrap" of the holster around the body will snug the holster up on the gun. Usually, after being worn for a while the leather will stretch enough to alleviate the problem.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by maddy345 View Post
    Actually there is a tension screw and it is as loose as it will go without falling out :)

I will try the wax paper and see what happens.
    Definitely tighten that screw a bit and leave the wrapped gun in the holster overnight. I had to do this with an OWB for my 1911 the other day. It's still a tad snug, but about how I wanted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    You still didn't say at what location on your body it is being worn. As Boscobeans and Galco advised you, sometimes the "wrap" of the holster around the body will snug the holster up on the gun. Usually, after being worn for a while the leather will stretch enough to alleviate the problem.
    Sorry about that. Unless I am appendix carrying I wear all of my holsters at the 4:00 position.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Is your front sight getting hung up?

Just wear the holster and draw a few hundred times. It will loosen up without too much fuss.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; July 19th, 2011 at 11:10 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links